Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Wine, Beer, and Spirits (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   wine forums? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=36428)

cigarmonkel 09-16-2010 12:37 PM

wine forums?

So both my roommate and I are both heavily getting into wine (hopefully the slope isn't as slippery as this one or i'm in BIGGGG trouble). Anyways anyone know of any good wine forums? I'm looking and after being a part of this forum i'm noticing i am pretty picky.

If it doesn't have a introduce yourself/welcome thread i feel as though it won't be nearly as homey as this place.

Anyone got any suggestions?

LasciviousXXX 09-16-2010 12:41 PM

Re: wine forums?

I don't have any suggestions but I can safely say that the slope is just as slippery and just as expensive... even more so in many cases (hehe, get it?)

cigarmonkel 09-16-2010 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LasciviousXXX (Post 990837)
I don't have any suggestions but I can safely say that the slope is just as slippery and just as expensive... even more so in many cases (hehe, get it?)

:r:r this isn't good.. i shouldn't be laughing but praying.

pektel 09-16-2010 01:03 PM

I do enjoy wine, and I enjoy cigars. But I would think you would be drinking wine way less than smoking a cigar. I have a Chateau LaFite 2006 rothchild that I'm saving.

pektel 09-16-2010 01:03 PM

Completely kidding. I do not have one. It would be sweet though.

T.G 09-16-2010 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pektel (Post 990849)
I do enjoy wine, and I enjoy cigars. But I would think you would be drinking wine way less than smoking a cigar. I have a Chateau LaFite 2006 rothchild that I'm saving.

Finished off the cases of Boone's Farm and Cold Duck already? Or are you still working on them?

TheRiddick 09-16-2010 01:17 PM

Can't say there is a forum that would be "similar" to cigar one. Parker just made his forum a private one for subscribers only since he had a revolt a little while ago and there was a large discontent with his arrogance and "lack of palate", many consumers and posters on his board said enough is enough. A number of people migrated, same as how CA happened 2 years ago, and formed anther board, but its that same small crowd that is convinced they know more about how to make wine than winemakers do.

What made Parker board relevant in late '90s is participation by a large group of winemakers. About 4 years ago that all changed (both due to Parker's arrogant and very erroneous views on wine and consumers' beating up on winemakers on subjects consumers had little comprehension of) and most winemakers stopped posting. The new board lacks that winemaker participation as well and it often devolves into political flame wars (mostly one way) making it even less attractive for ITB people.

There are wine threads on this board, have you taken a look at those?

What do you mean by "getting into wine" and how far are you along? As already pointed out above, wine slope is way steeper and deeper than cigars, I can assure you of that. As opposed to cigars, some wines are only available via mailing lists or through small allocations to retail outlets, which in turn dole them out to their best customers (read: those who spend the most)

Best advice I can give you if you are still inclined to proceed on your journey is to seek out a local tasting group, or rather as many as you can find. Taste with them, see which group is more to your liking (schedule, regions/varietals covered, cost, experience, etc.) and then figure out if someone with good wine knowledge/experience is willing to take you under his/her wing and assist you in your palate development. Buy a set of good wine glasses, no need to go overboard, but a set of Burgundy (Pinot) and Bordeaux (Cab/Merlot) glasses should cover the gamut for you. Storage is not as essential as many claim, as long as you do not "cook" your wine (over 70F on consistent basis) you should be fine for short to mid term storage (up to 4-5 years). Cooler temps are better for longer term.

Not sure what else to add, if you have more questions fire away, I'll see what I can do.

pektel 09-16-2010 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.G (Post 990858)
Finished off the cases of Boone's Farm and Cold Duck already? Or are you still working on them?

STill got quite a few Bartles and James left too :D

T.G 09-16-2010 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pektel (Post 990867)
STill got quite a few Bartles and James left too :D

Sweet.

Want to do a mixed trade for some Wild Irish Rose, Cisco and a few Zimas?

jmsremax 09-16-2010 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pektel (Post 990849)

I find myself drinking wine or scotch/whisky more than I smoke cigars. :2

pektel 09-16-2010 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.G (Post 990898)
Sweet.

Want to do a mixed trade for some Wild Irish Rose, Cisco and a few Zimas?

Throw in a couple Smirnoff Ice, and you got yourself a deal! :tu

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmsremax (Post 990902)
I find myself drinking wine or scotch/whisky more than I smoke cigars. :2

Scotch/ whisky is different to me. You don't need to kill the bottle. Wine the second day sucks. It just costs more per sitting.

To each their own though. I don't like to spend a lot of money on alcohol.

mosesbotbol 09-16-2010 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cigarmonkel (Post 990834)
So both my roommate and I are both heavily getting into wine.

What have you been drinking?

pektel 09-16-2010 03:14 PM

white zin :p

TheRiddick 09-16-2010 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pektel (Post 990953)

Don't knock it, probably 40% of Beringer's business.

pektel 09-16-2010 03:57 PM

Probably. They sell the sh*t out of Kia's too.

mosesbotbol 09-16-2010 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRiddick (Post 990971)
Don't knock it, probably 40% of Beringer's business.

White Zin is what saved CA wine.

T.G 09-16-2010 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pektel (Post 990916)
Throw in a couple Smirnoff Ice, and you got yourself a deal! :tu

I can do a 4-pack of the green Tilt, will that work?

TheRiddick 09-16-2010 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol (Post 990991)
White Zin is what saved CA wine.

Saved it from what? :confused:

Its no where near the sales volume of Chard, Merlot and Cab in the grand scheme of things.

mosesbotbol 09-16-2010 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRiddick (Post 991005)
Saved it from what? :confused:

Its no where near the sales volume of Chard, Merlot and Cab in the grand scheme of things.

It's 8% right now in sales volume and has been big when wine wasn't as big. Perhaps "saved" isn't the best word, but CA wine industry would not be anywhere like it is without White Zin.

mosesbotbol 09-16-2010 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pektel (Post 990953)

cigarmonkel could be drinking La Tache & Mouton for all we know.