Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Good Eats (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Smoked Oyster Caserole (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=39933)

thebayratt 12-11-2010 09:58 AM

Smoked Oyster Caserole

I came up with this unusual mix the other day

Smoked Oyster Caserole
Can of smoked oysters
Taco blend shredded cheese
Fritos corn chips.

Take fritos make a layer on a plate, layer of cheese, empty can of smoked oysters. Add chips & cheese on top. Put in microwave for about 45 seconds. Mix, and heat for about 30 more seconds for cheese to fully melt.

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/z...t/DSCN3758.jpg

htown 12-11-2010 01:38 PM

Re: Smoked Oyster Caserole

There is something very wrong with that.

bonjing 12-11-2010 08:15 PM

I want some kind of proof that you are eating that.

thebayratt 12-11-2010 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjing (Post 1090819)
I want some kind of proof that you are eating that.

I tell ya what... I got to get some more oysters. And as soon as I do, I'll get a pic of me taking a bite and post it up.

I've made it 3 times in the last few weeks. I eat alot of weird stuff.... I'll put wasabi on boiled shrimp, things like that....

bonjing 12-11-2010 09:12 PM

Hell, I'll give it a try tonight, I think I have some smoked oysters at home somewhere, gotta remember to grab some fritos and cheese on the way home though.

do you throw the whole can in oil/sauce and all?

thebayratt 12-11-2010 09:47 PM

Yep, I just pop the pull tab off, and turn the can over into the bowl.

If you microwave it for about a minute and a half and mix them up half way, the chips get a little "soggy". It makes them absorb the oil/flavor too.

OLS 12-12-2010 08:29 AM

UGGH, based on the fact I just had a can last night, I can honestly say this is a huge mistake. There is a ton of oil in that can.
I am sure it adds to the comfort food status of this dish, though. Check Biglots, ratt, they are a buck a tin.

thebayratt 12-12-2010 10:09 AM

Yeh, if i don't get them there (biglots), I go to Walmart and get "their" brand. There isn't too much oil in thier cans. I have seen some cans full of oil, but been doing good with walmart's.

CasaDooley 12-12-2010 10:57 AM

I am mortified and strangely drawn to that concoction.:r

T.G 12-12-2010 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebayratt (Post 1090284)
I came up with this unusual mix the other day

Smoked Oyster Caserole
Can of smoked oysters
Taco blend shredded cheese
Fritos corn chips.

Take fritos make a layer on a plate, layer of cheese, empty can of smoked oysters. Add chips & cheese on top. Put in microwave for about 45 seconds. Mix, and heat for about 30 more seconds for cheese to fully melt.

Oddly repulsive and yet intriguingly attractive at the same time... I smell herf food! http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/pictur...pictureid=4944

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebayratt (Post 1090886)
I tell ya what... I got to get some more oysters. And as soon as I do, I'll get a pic of me taking a bite and post it up.

I've made it 3 times in the last few weeks. I eat alot of weird stuff.... I'll put wasabi on boiled shrimp, things like that....

Wasabi on boiled shrimp is hardly weird or uncommon at all.

Wasabi on boiled shrimp plus sushi rice = shrimp nigiri sushi

http://wwwdelivery.superstock.com/WI...532R-12865.jpg

All you did is omit the sushi rice.

Now, wasabi, smoked oysters and vegimite on double chocolate ripple fudge ice cream, now THAT would be wierd. (and make me wonder if you're pregnant)

thebayratt 12-12-2010 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.G (Post 1091341)
Now, wasabi, smoked oysters and vegimite on double chocolate ripple fudge ice cream, now THAT would be wierd. (and make me wonder if you're pregnant)

Funny thing is, the misses IS pregnant, and my craving for odd food has grown considerably! Hers, not so much, but mine has! I have always liked odd foods, but now, its getting out of hand....... and I like what I have made up food wise!

Never had vegimite..... hmmmm.....:rolleyes:

bonjing 02-16-2011 01:35 PM

I finally tried it.and ummm yeah. . . not for me. I love oysters, but I may have gotten a weird can or something, but the texture just was bleh.

thebayratt 02-16-2011 01:46 PM

Yeh it is an interesting texture with the hard chips and soft cheese & oysters... It deffinately a hit or mis wether you like the taste or not.

captain53 02-16-2011 01:58 PM

I think I will stick with wrapping my smoked oysters in bacon and broiling them a few minutes. I do make quick fake nachos sometimes using Fritos & Cheese in the microwave which are very good but just can't quite imagine the smoked oyster infusion.:2

But - just like cigars cook what you like and eat what you cook!

Thanks for sharing the idea as this is a great way for folks to find new things they like.:tu

thebayratt 02-16-2011 04:11 PM

Oysters and bacon!!!

WOW, I'm going to have to try that soon! Sounds good!!

captain53 02-16-2011 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebayratt (Post 1175094)
Oysters and bacon!!!

WOW, I'm going to have to try that soon! Sounds good!!

Good and Simple - just cut the bacon slices into pieces of appropriate length to get about a wrap and a half around the size oyster you have and put a toothpick in it. Put under the broiler for a couple of minutes then turn them over and put in for a few more minutes till bacon is done. Great little snack! One tip - line your pan with foil to aid in cleanup!

Curious from your screen name - you in the Bay St Louis or Bay Waveland area?

thermal 07-12-2011 09:00 AM

I never really thought about how else to serve smoked oysters...I had always served on a dollop of mayo with a saltine. WOW...this was so amazing. ...

Subvet642 07-12-2011 09:04 AM

I'd eat it. :tu