Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Coffee Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Question regarding drip brewing and how many scoops per cup (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=26703)

Sauer Grapes 12-30-2009 06:48 PM

Question regarding drip brewing and how many scoops per cup

I got a drip brewer for Christmas from the MIL and was wondering what a good starting point is for scoops per cup? I brewed 6 cups of 100% kona using 4 scoops today and it was pretty darn good, but I'm wondering if I'm brewing weaker or stronger than average.

Oh, and the scoop I was using was from my bodum, so I'm also wondering if that is a normal size scoop for my drip or if I need to get a scoop specifically for a drip.

I'm new at this if you can't tell.

Anyway, I LOVED the Kona. Smoothest coffee I've ever had without a hint of bitterness. Odd thing is, looking at smith farms it looks like they aren't really much more $$$ even after shipping. I am assuming smith farms beans are better as well.

What are some other (cheaper) coffees I should try as well since the kona will be a treat (will probably buy a pound every quarter or so)?

tobii3 12-30-2009 07:58 PM

Re: Question regarding drip brewing and how many scoops per cup

1/2 cup.

labels say 1 tablespoon per cup.

8 tablespoons = 1/2 cup

So, use a heaping 1/2 cup.

(for a 10 or 12 cup pot, that is)

Resipsa 12-30-2009 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sauer Grapes (Post 700548)
I got a drip brewer for Christmas from the MIL and was wondering what a good starting point is for scoops per cup? I brewed 6 cups of 100% kona using 4 scoops today and it was pretty darn good, but I'm wondering if I'm brewing weaker or stronger than average.

Oh, and the scoop I was using was from my bodum, so I'm also wondering if that is a normal size scoop for my drip or if I need to get a scoop specifically for a drip.

I'm new at this if you can't tell.

Anyway, I LOVED the Kona. Smoothest coffee I've ever had without a hint of bitterness. Odd thing is, looking at smith farms it looks like they aren't really much more $$$ even after shipping. I am assuming smith farms beans are better as well.

What are some other (cheaper) coffees I should try as well since the kona will be a treat (will probably buy a pound every quarter or so)?

It depends on what size the scoop is, the general rule is 10 grams of coffee per 6 oz cup. There is no "normal" size scoop, but if you have a small digital kitchen scale you can figure out how many grams your coffee scoop holds and adjust from there. Add more or less according to taste

tobii3 12-30-2009 09:48 PM

10 grams for every 6 ounces

a 12 cup pot holds 60 ounces (60/6=10)

10 x 10 = 100 grams of coffee

1 tablespoon of coffee weighs approx 12.5 grams.

100 / 12.5 = 8 tablespoons of coffee (16 tablespoons in 1 cup)

So....

1/2 cup of coffee grinds.

Did I mention I drink a LOT of coffee???

:r

germantown rob 12-31-2009 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobii3 (Post 700742)
10 grams for every 6 ounces

a 12 cup pot holds 60 ounces (60/6=10)

10 x 10 = 100 grams of coffee

1 tablespoon of coffee weighs approx 12.5 grams.

100 / 12.5 = 8 tablespoons of coffee (16 tablespoons in 1 cup)

So....

1/2 cup of coffee grinds.

Did I mention I drink a LOT of coffee???

:confused:

I can not get a tablespoon of grinds to weight 12.5 g no matter how high I heap it. The problem with a table spoon is the variation of heaping, I can make a spoonful weight 5g to 10g depending on the heap and lack of spill.

A bodum scoop is usually 7g scoop per level.
Sweet Maria's sells a scoop that is 10g.
I like the 14g scoop that came with the areopress.

I can not get a 1/2 cup of grinds to weight any more then 37 g and that is heaping.

So do i drink more coffee then you? :D

Sauer Grapes 12-31-2009 08:01 AM

Thanks for the info gentlemen.

germantown rob 01-01-2010 07:09 AM

Getting a kitchen scale, they are under $25, is a good investment for consistent coffee doses. I don't weight all the time but I do double check once in awhile or if I am changing from the norm. You can see that basic measurement math doesn't always work for dry goods and if you are using a 1/2 cup and thinking you are using 100g of coffee you are making a pot around half recommended strength.

There are a ton of coffee's to try out there that don't cost what a real Kona costs. Fresh roast is always going to trump a stale Kona and be 1/2 the price delivered. Watch making full pots with fresh roast, it will bloom and overflow the brew basket.

Savor the Stick 01-01-2010 01:59 PM

I have recently gone to 6oz cup= 2 tbls of coffee(per Alton Brown). makes a good strong cup of coffee.:)

14holestogie 01-01-2010 02:33 PM

I'm old school. I know I've got it about right when the first sip brings a "Whoa!" out of the little woman. :D

Sauer Grapes 01-01-2010 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14holestogie (Post 702779)
I'm old school. I know I've got it about right when the first sip brings a "Whoa!" out of the little woman. :D

My little woman doesn't drink coffee unless it has more sugar and milk than coffee.

I used the measurements above today and it was damn good. I think I made it stronger a couple days ago though.

tobii3 01-01-2010 09:14 PM

After 21 years in the Army, good coffee melts the spoon....great coffee pours like molasses.

:tu

MrJerry 01-04-2010 05:53 PM

First of all, who drinks a 6 oz cup...I now that size won't do me any good.

A 10 cup pot = 10 6oz cups. A 12 cup pot = 12 5oz cups. That's right , the two hold the same amount of water.

I don't use a scoop. I recommend a 1/2 level measuring cup of whole beans (ground course for a flat basket filter and medium fine for a cone filter) to make the perfect pot of coffee.

Play around a bit and find out how much works best for you. And don't forget to have fun doing so.

germantown rob 01-10-2010 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobii3 (Post 703250)
After 21 years in the Army, good coffee melts the spoon....great coffee pours like molasses.

:tu

I have some Sweet Maria's french roast blend when taken into a rolling second crack and made strong will grow hair in places that hair doesn't grow, I have yet to get a spoon to stand up in it but it sounds like you have more practice then I :D. I will gladly send some to you.

BeerAdvocate 01-22-2010 09:56 AM

1/2 a cup of whole beans in the grinder makes a perfect pot for me!