Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Accessory Discussion / Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Cheap alternatives to "cigar" beads? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=8853)

Thrak 01-26-2009 12:14 PM

Cheap alternatives to "cigar" beads?

I need some beads but dont look forward to spending that much money at this time. I've been using google and notice that people use kitty litter beads in their humidors, claiming that they do the same basic thing, even saying you can find specific Rh beads at the pet store! :confused:

Anyone know anything about this, or can lend some insight? This will be used in a 150ct humi, that is full and the 4 drimystat sticks just cant keep up during winter.

Thx!

md4958 01-26-2009 12:23 PM

Re: Cheap alternatives to "cigar" beads?

do you really want to loose those 150 sticks because you want to save a couple dollars?? its not worth it in my opinion.

Contact Shilala, he will set you up with what you need and you wont regret it.

bobarian 01-26-2009 12:25 PM

I dont get it. You are willing to spend hard earned money on your cigars, but not willing to spend $10-20 for an ounce or two of beads? Just doesnt make sense to me.

dunng 01-26-2009 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by md4958 (Post 192465)
do you really want to loose those 150 sticks because you want to save a couple dollars?? its not worth it in my opinion.

:tpd: :ss

Thrak 01-26-2009 12:41 PM

You get a few oz of beads for $40 + shipping

or a few pounds of beads for $15.

Its quite a difference, especially if they do the same thing.

bobarian 01-26-2009 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrak (Post 192535)

THEY DONT DO THE SAME THING! Kitty litter is meant to absorb cat pee! :rolleyes: I think you need to do a bit of research. 2oz bead tubes are $15.99. If you are looking at something other than Heartfelt, Cigarmony or Shilala's beads you are looking at the wrong stuff.

md4958 01-26-2009 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrak (Post 192535)

I really dont think they do. I dont have a cat, so I cant say first hand... but I dont think kitty litter RELEASES humidity?? Perhaps Im incorrect.

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/products.asp?cat=14

Heartfelt beads cost around $18 for half a POUND, and Im sure you would only need a fraction of that! Shilala beads are similarly priced.

You can use the calculator on the Heartfelt site to get an idea of how many beads you need... just enter in your humi's dimensions and voila.

Thrak 01-26-2009 12:53 PM

I didnt expect the intense negativity here... just looking for an alternative. bobarian, cat pee = liquid = humidity.

they are made of the same stuff, what is the difference? Please educate me, nicely. :)

roughrider 01-26-2009 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by md4958 (Post 192465)

+1. Pay the few bucks for the best beads out there and protect your investment.

md4958 01-26-2009 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrak (Post 192596)
I didnt expect the intense negativity here... just looking for an alternative. bobarian, cat pee = liquid = humidity.

absorbing humidity is one thing. being able to absorb and release is entirely different, wouldnt you agree?

Quote:

they are made of the same stuff, what is the difference? Please educate me, nicely. :)

Are they?? Shilalas beads are made from clay, not sure what Heartfelt beads are made of, but they are totaly different

Don Fernando 01-26-2009 12:59 PM

Quote:

they are not made of the same stuff. Cat litter only absorbes humidity, humidity beads absorb and release humidity depending on the RH of the humidor.

14holestogie 01-26-2009 01:08 PM

Quote:

I don't think anyone is trying to be negative, I think they are speaking from experience. Cat litter absorbs humidity, it does not release it.

If you have only a few dollars invested in cigars, then cat litter may work for a short while. If you have a more sizable investment, all we're saying is protect that investment by spending a few bucks more to do it right.

I experimented with the crystal cat litter (unscented) a year or so ago. It does not remotely compare to a quality bead. We are not trying to line anyone's pockets here, but go to a reputable dealer for a reputable product.
I myself am the pround owner of 3 pounds of Shilala beads and will go nowhere else when I require more.

Do what you think is best, but I think the comments you see are the voices of experience.

bobarian 01-26-2009 01:20 PM

I may have yelled, but I see absolutely no negativity in my statements. Do what you want. You are not the first person to have thought up this "solution" There are reasons most use beads, if you choose to use an alternative that is up to you.

shilala 01-26-2009 01:27 PM

Kitty Litter is not "the same thing" nor does it "do the same thing".
Funny thing is that not only does kitty litter not work in humis, it doesn't work as kitty litter. That's why it's discontinued. :D (It sizzles when cats pee on it and most refuse to use it.)
I've done tons of tests on all sorts of humidifying media and all the results have been posted at Club Stogie in the past.
It takes more than 9 times the volume and 9 times the surface area for kitty litter to even begin to compare to the efficacy of Mark's or Dave's beads.
It takes more than 17 times the volume and 17 times the surface area for the kitty litter to compete with my HCM beads.
The kitty litter costs about 15 bucks for 7 lbs. That's about $35.00 for 17 pounds. Shipping on 17 pounds is definately going to be at least 10 bucks.
A pound of my beads runs $45.00 shipped and they come in their own permanent bags.
So for the same price, you can either use 17 pounds of kitty litter or 1 pound of my beads.
You'll also have to arrange the kitty litter to bear enough surface area to be effective. You could use 2-8 ounce bags of my beads, or 34-8 oz. bags of kitty litter.
So I guess, if you want to generalize, silica gel kitty litter does do the same thing.
I've tried it, tested it, and found it worthless to me for the way I do things.
I use 5-8oz. bags of my beads in my winadors. I can't fit 42 bags of kitty litter in there. :)
Hope this helps you understand what "does the same thing" really means. :tu
Good luck with whatever direction you choose!!! :)
Scott

WyGuy 01-26-2009 01:27 PM

You might want to take a look at watersorb, here's the link http://www.watersorb.com/prices.htm

I bought two pounds of it, and it seems to be doing the trick for the moment. However, I do plan on buying some of Shilala's beads eventually.

shilala 01-26-2009 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WyGuy (Post 192720)
You might want to take a look at watersorb, here's the link http://www.watersorb.com/prices.htm

I bought two pounds of it, and it seems to be doing the trick for the moment. However, I do plan on buying some of Shilala's beads eventually.

Watersorb is just SAP. It simply gives off and absorbs water, there's no control over RH levels. It won't adsorb water from the air once it's wetted, either. It only works in one direction, and that's to give off water.
If you hydrate it with a 50/50 propylene glycol solution then you can keep your RH at 70% in your humi.
You gotta supply ample surface area though, and that's tough when you have a big humi. It takes up a lot of floor space.

MedicCook 01-26-2009 01:37 PM

I will be needing to get some of your beads soon Scott.

gettysburgfreak 01-26-2009 04:59 PM

you could always pick up a few drymistat tubes at 10 bucks a piece. I used them before I picked up some beads and they worked well. You do not want to skimp on humidification as others have said. Why spend all that money on cigars and have no adequate way of keeping them humidified?

Mugen910 01-26-2009 05:00 PM

just go to the devil site and get some beads on the cheap if you're worried about $$ but keep in mind that if your sticks don't maintain RH then you will eventually have to invest in some real beads.

ChINaMaN1472 01-26-2009 05:25 PM

I'm with the rest of the logical people in here.
You've already spent plenty of money on the cigars, what's another $20 bucks for beads to keep your cigars properly humidified?

It's like buying a Ferrari then asking around for the cheapest oil and tire change shop.