Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Accessory Discussion / Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Cheaphumidors Imperfect Humidor (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=25168)

Montano 11-26-2009 03:26 PM

Cheaphumidors Imperfect Humidor

3 Attachment(s)
Being a n00b to cigars, I started out with a 20 count humi. It took me 3 months to outgrow it :wnr

So I looked around and found a nice humi in the Imperfects section at Cheaphumidors. I wasn't quite sure what it would look like, or how it would seal, being an imperfect. I did know it was in my budget :D

This is said to be a 75-100 count humi. I'll be happy if I can get 50 smokes in it. It is obviously a bit bigger than my 20 count, and the seal is much better as well. It's just about done seasoning, now all I need to do is buy some smokes to fill it :tu

gettysburgfreak 11-26-2009 04:21 PM

Re: Cheaphumidors Imperfect Humidor

do you see any big nicks or scratches on it? How does it seal?

Montano 11-26-2009 04:29 PM

Nothing noticeable as far as scratches or dents. There is a small spot on the top inlay where it looks like they made a slight mistake. This does not affect the seal in anyway, which seems to be great so far. I stuck a small bowl of distilled water and 2 Drymistat tubes in it last week, and it has held steady @ 78.

I'm very happy with it for $45.

GKitty 11-26-2009 05:01 PM

I love the cheap humidors imperfect section. I've picked up a couple of humis from there. Both had very small imperfections (both had a single scratch less than 1/2" long), but held RH rock steady. Looks like a fantastic find.

I'll be the first to say it: You should have gone bigger. :ss

Enjoy filling it up!!

Kreth 11-26-2009 05:01 PM

Nice looking box. Looks a bit empty, so let's get started on pushing you down the slope. Addy please.
Posted via Mobile Device

68TriShield 11-26-2009 05:58 PM

Let that humidity settle,78 is way too high. Most will agree...

Montano 11-26-2009 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68TriShield (Post 659499)
Let that humidity settle,78 is way too high. Most will agree...

One of the seasoning threads I read somewhere said to bring it up to 80 before letting it settle and adding smokes. It's been @ 78 for about 4 days now, should I take out the bowl of distilled water and let it drop down to 70 before adding anything ?

leasingthisspace 11-26-2009 06:07 PM

Did you test your hydro?
Posted via Mobile Device

Montano 11-26-2009 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leasingthisspace (Post 659513)
Did you test your hydro?
Posted via Mobile Device

Just have 1 hydro right now. I took it out of my smaller humi and left in the new one. It's been spot on in the smaller one though. I expect it to be high, since there's a bowl of water and 2 Drymistat tubes in there, and no smokes.

68TriShield 11-26-2009 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montano (Post 659508)
One of the seasoning threads I read somewhere said to bring it up to 80 before letting it settle and adding smokes. It's been @ 78 for about 4 days now, should I take out the bowl of distilled water and let it drop down to 70 before adding anything ?

I'd say it's ready to go.Don't use 70% as a benchmark,anywhere between 60 and 70 is acceptable.
You will figure out for yourself if like your smokes kept higher or lower.

gettysburgfreak 11-26-2009 06:35 PM

do a search for the salt test to check the accuracy of your hydro. Basically throw some salt in a bottle cap, add a small amount of distilled water, mix into a thick paste and place in a sealed bag with your hydro. Leave for a day or two. Hydro should read 75% if it was dead accurate. Calculate +/- and you will know how off it is.

Montano 11-26-2009 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gettysburgfreak (Post 659522)
do a search for the salt test to check the accuracy of your hydro. Basically throw some salt in a bottle cap, add a small amount of distilled water, mix into a thick paste and place in a sealed bag with your hydro. Leave for a day or two. Hydro should read 75% if it was dead accurate. Calculate +/- and you will know how off it is.

I have a Caliber III that comes pre-set I believe. I guess I can do a salt test to see if it's off a bit. Thanks.

Veritas 11-26-2009 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gettysburgfreak (Post 659522)

Throwing the hygrometer into a caddy with a Boveda pack for a day or so works as well. The caddy's seal is as close to perfect as possible. Boveda sells a calibration kit, but it's basically a regular pack with a big bag for the hygrometer.

Of course, this is only convenient if you have a Boveda pack laying around. :)

alley00p 11-26-2009 08:02 PM

:hm... I didn't see Montano's addy posted... :D

We'll have to do something about that! :banger

:dance:

Kreth 11-26-2009 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alley00p (Post 659577)
:hm... I didn't see Montano's addy posted... :D

You have a PM... :r
Posted via Mobile Device

joeobx 11-26-2009 08:57 PM

Nick, it looks nice. Check out humidity beads.Best money Ive spent. I started out with a 50 count.... sold it to a friend and bought a "150" count ...realy held about 80-100.....finely broke down bought a end table style also from Cheap Humidors....Greate CS...cheapest shipping of any I checked. Been wearing out the CC ever since:banger:banger

Montano 11-27-2009 07:18 AM

Thanks Joe, I will look into beads.

Per the 'Tips for new members' sticky, I have submitted my address to Ms. Floydp to be added to the rolodex.

Kreth 11-27-2009 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montano (Post 659742)
Per the 'Tips for new members' sticky, I have submitted my address to Ms. Floydp to be added to the rolodex.

That needs to be updated. Pnoon is the keeper of the rolodex these days.
You might want to start looking into your next upgrade, just sayin'... :r
Posted via Mobile Device

Montano 11-27-2009 12:47 PM

Thanks Jeff, Pnoon has my info now. I've started welding a bomb proof mailbox :su

pnoon 11-27-2009 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kreth (Post 659851)
That needs to be updated. Pnoon is the keeper of the rolodex these days.
You might want to start looking into your next upgrade, just sayin'... :r
Posted via Mobile Device

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montano (Post 659923)
Thanks Jeff, Pnoon has my info now. I've started welding a bomb proof mailbox :su

Thread is fixed and Nick (Montano) has been added to the Rolodex.