Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Good Eats (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   :eevis' dry rub..........YUMMMMMM!!!! (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=3872)

Scottw 11-10-2008 06:49 PM

:eevis' dry rub..........YUMMMMMM!!!!

1 Attachment(s)
Well, I got bombed by my good buddy and BBQ aficionado :eevis the other day. In it, he included a Mason Jar of his dry rub. This stuff smells great, good pepper (cayenne, black pepper) and some cumin I think as well as other goodies. As requested in my "self recycling" mission letter, I have used the rub successfully and will share some pics.

The rub coated some beautiful sirloin steaks from Omaha Steaks as well as some spicy home fries I made as a side. Downed it with a glass of red wine t boot.

The steaks were tender and grilled perfectly I might say. The rub was applied the night before and really penetrated the meat and created a slight crust on the outside which locked in all it's juicy splendor! What a great Sunday meal before the Giants game.

:eevis, you are a good pal and I am appreciative of you and the thoughtfulness of the bomb and the great flavor of this rub.

Mugen910 11-10-2008 06:57 PM

Re: :eevis' dry rub..........YUMMMMMM!!!!

:dr:dr:dr

ucla695 11-10-2008 07:05 PM

That sounds delicious!!! :dr :dr :dr

jquirit 11-10-2008 07:12 PM

Those steaks look delish! Strangely I've never though of rubbing a steak before grilling it. Next time I'm doing steaks I'll have to try it.

:dr

Scottw 11-10-2008 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jquirit (Post 62565)
Those steaks look delish! Strangely I've never though of rubbing a steak before grilling it. Next time I'm doing steaks I'll have to try it.

Put the dry rub on the day before and let it sit. When I do my ribs, I do rub and let 'em sit for 48 hours prior to cooking. Good stuff.

Darrell 11-10-2008 07:29 PM

Those look to be around med rare right? IMO anything over med rare ruins a good piece of meat.

Scottw 11-10-2008 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darrell (Post 62592)
Those look to be around med rare right? IMO anything over med rare ruins a good piece of meat.

Always medium unless my brother is over, he likes em black and blue. I cannot stand overdone food.

Darrell 11-10-2008 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottw (Post 62596)
Always medium unless my brother is over, he likes em black and blue. I cannot stand overdone food.

Medium is overdone. :2

Scottw 11-10-2008 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darrell (Post 62599)
Medium is overdone. :2

Sorry, meant med. rare, not med well. Still slightly pink and a lot of juice (did I just type that?)

Darrell 11-10-2008 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottw (Post 62603)
Sorry, meant med. rare, not med well. Still slightly pink and a lot of juice (did I just type that?)

OK med rare is acceptable, med is not. :r

Yeah, you typed that. :D

:eevis 11-11-2008 06:50 AM

Glad you enjoyed the rub Scott! Makes me happy to know that others like it too :ss

mrreindeer 11-11-2008 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jquirit (Post 62565)

Yum! :dr:dr:dr:dr:dr Don't forget to tug the steak too! ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darrell (Post 62592)

Agreed; nice job on cookin' those up Scott...and excellent hit :eevis. I like 'em RARE myself but I wouldn't have a problem gobbling down your Medium Rare steak; I'll be right over. :ss