Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   R.I.P. Ogre (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=76680)

Don Fernando 09-10-2021 08:11 PM

R.I.P. Ogre

I just read on Facebook that Larry aka Ogre passed away of covid-19. For those attending the EPIC herfs in Florida, Larry was a well known figure. A larger than life person with a heart of gold.

I lost touch with Larry on social media, most likely over our different political views, but I never held that against Larry because I will always remember him fondly for the great guy he was. I will never have the chance to ask why he unfriended me, I will never have the chance to smoke with him at EPIC or Corona Cigar Company in Orlando again, but Larry will forever be remembered as the great friend he was.

Leigh, mad baker, my condoleances. My heart is with you and I wish you nothing but strength in this horrible time.

Tio Gato 09-10-2021 08:17 PM

Re: R.I.P. Ogre

Godspeed Larry.:(

Axeman 09-10-2021 09:19 PM

I herfed with him here in California a while ago. I think he just got married. Very nice guy. I wish I didn't have to see people younger than me go.
I just lost a very good friend half my age to brain cancer. There is a disturbance in the force. A glitch in the matrix. I thank God for every new day.

Don Fernando 09-10-2021 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axeman (Post 2223055)
I herfed with him here in California a while ago. I think he just got married. Very nice guy. I wish I didn't have to see people younger than me go.
I just lost a very good friend half my age to brain cancer. There is a disturbance in the force. A glitch in the matrix. I thank God for every new day.

Larry got married to Leigh about 9 years ago. And indeed, very nice guy.

The Poet 09-11-2021 05:00 AM

Sad news. Sorry we have lost him, and sorry you lost a friend even before he passed. Life is indeed too short for fights and grudges.

Rest in peace, Larry.

longknocker 09-11-2021 05:27 AM

Larry & Leigh Were An Awesome Couple. Herfed With Them Many Times In Florida. They Would Help Anyone In Need And Loved Each Other Deeply. R.I.P., My Friend.

G G 09-11-2021 06:13 AM

Larry was one of those rare men who absolutely treated you like you had known each other your whole lives the first time you met him. Godspeed my friend.

hotreds 09-11-2021 06:59 AM

Met him at Shack about ten years ago, just before he got married. He was teased a lot over that. Lotsa laughter. RIP, indeed!

AdamJoshua 09-11-2021 07:19 AM

Rest in Peace, Brother. My thoughts and prayers go out to Leigh, their family and friends. Had a very fun night at dinner with Larry and Leigh and Black Carl a couple years ago in FL.

Dave128 09-11-2021 08:35 AM

Rest in Peace, Larry. Prayers sent to Leigh and their entire family.

markem 09-11-2021 08:38 AM

One of the best of us.

Rest in peace, Larry.

T.G 09-11-2021 09:30 AM

Sad to hear. Never had a chance to meet him, few times we communicated, could always tell her was one of the real good guys.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Ashcan Bill 09-11-2021 10:22 AM

So sorry to hear this. :sad

Havanaaddict 09-11-2021 11:36 AM

RIP Larry, Prayers sent for your wife and family!

Old Sailor 09-11-2021 12:38 PM

Rest in peace, Larry.

SmokeyJoe 09-11-2021 03:08 PM

Very sorry to hear this! We shared a mutual friend of his wife, Leigh. Knew him a little from back when. May the Lord bless and comfort Leigh. May he rest in peace.

Don Fernando 09-11-2021 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Poet (Post 2223059)
and sorry you lost a friend even before he passed.

I've always seen Larry as a friend, he was too good of a man to lose that status over a different point of view. And I knew that if we ever met again, it would but fun as ever.

RevSmoke 09-11-2021 09:04 PM

Hadn't see Latry here in ages. Always thought well of him.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

Willem2 09-12-2021 08:36 AM

Rest In Peace Larry, our condolences Leigh

shark 09-12-2021 11:17 AM

Damn. I met him at The Shack, in fact he was at a few of those herfs. RIP. Enjoy and make the most out of every day.

shark 09-12-2021 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Fernando (Post 2223090)
I've always seen Larry as a friend, he was too good of a man to lose that status over a different point of view. And I knew that if we ever met again, it would but fun as ever.

Exactly.

Chainsaw13 09-12-2021 01:12 PM

RIP Larry.

elderboy02 09-12-2021 04:03 PM

RIP Larry

jonumberone 09-13-2021 05:09 AM

I was sad when I heard the news of Larry's passing.
I've smoked many times with him and Leigh.
Every time I was in Florida, it seemed I smoked with them.
Sometimes for weekends at a time at his home for Epic, or at Brent's, and sometimes He would make the drive to Orlando just to spend a few hours with me in Disney Springs, or Top of the world lounge.
I remember one time sitting there smoking with him, talking about the upcoming Epic and how airfare was too expensive.
Larry and Leigh took out their phones and started checking all the sites to see if we could find something cheaper so I could make it.
He wanted me to be there as much as I wanted to attend.
Larry always made you feel wanted, and always went out of his way for you.

One of my favorite memories was one time sitting around the fire pit in his yard.
I started throwing pieces of his outdoor furniture into the fire. As everyone looked on in horror and disbelief, especially Leigh, Larry sat there smiling, soaking it all in.
Unknown to everyone, Larry and I hatched the plan earlier just so we could make fun of Eric's fire building skills.
Afterwards, Larry grabbed me and reveled in the looks on everyone's face, and we belly laughed together for 10 minutes straight.

I'm going to miss Larry. I'm going to miss fighting with him about Leigh's rum cake vs her red velvet cake ( I'm team red velvet all the way), his big personality, his smile, and his dead animal hat.
I'm sure when he made it to heaven, Mac was there waiting with a maduro for him.
Rest in peace, Larry. Until we meet again.

yourchoice 09-13-2021 09:40 AM

So sorry to hear! My condolences to Leigh, family and friends. RIP, Larry.

icehog3 09-13-2021 09:53 AM

I was fortunate enough to hang with Larry one weekend at the Shack. and this weekend I was lucky enough to hear lots of great "Larry stories". One of the guys who got it more than most, his passing leaves a big hole in the cigar community. Godspeed Larry.

stearns 09-13-2021 10:08 AM

RIP Larry, we were just talking about you at Shack this year and how much we missed having you there, I'll never forget your huge smile as you held onto the tree to keep yourself from falling over. Lost another good one

massphatness 09-13-2021 10:09 AM

Rest in peace, big man

cmitch 09-13-2021 11:25 AM

I seen this title thinking no no no. Not Larry. Larry was my personal punching bag so to speak. It was fun prodding him in the bombing section and hitting him a time or two. I was looking forward to one day visiting a herf while he was there. Nothing is right in this world anymore. Nothing will ever be right here again. RIP Larry. Sorry this happened to you, Leigh.

mosesbotbol 09-13-2021 11:37 AM

Don't believe I had ever met him, but he must've been something seeing how many he touched and the positive stories about him. RIP

Sailchaser 09-13-2021 12:14 PM

I got a call from a fellow brother who asked me to sit down because he had news. I am glad I did the news hit hard. Now I can remember the fun times had. I need to carry on the tradition of having a smoke in his name each year as we have done with others who have left us way to early. Larry there will be always a spot for you to sit and a tree near by to remind me of your smile, generosity and friendship. Rest easy

cmitch 09-13-2021 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailchaser (Post 2223154)
I got a call from a fellow brother who asked me to sit down because he had news. I am glad I did the news hit hard. Now I can remember the fun times had. I need to carry on the tradition of having a smoke in his name each year as we have done with others who have left us way to early. Larry there will be always a spot for you to sit and a tree near by to remind me of your smile, generosity and friendship. Rest easy

Like Don, I too was astounded he unfriended me on FB about 2 years ago. Don't really know why. Maybe he got tired of my tags.

I contacted Leigh via FB messenger letting her know how sorry we were to hear of his passing. I'll miss seeing him around here.

Steve 09-13-2021 04:00 PM

When I got the call last week it literally took my feet out from under me. I really don't have the words...

Larry was a Man among Men and I will greatly miss messaging and texting back and forth in the evenings, giving each other $hit.

DMK 09-13-2021 04:13 PM

RIP Larry, I'll miss your personality and the grenades lobbed back and forth

Remo 09-14-2021 05:34 AM

Damn it…….RIP Larry, awesome guy, herfed with Larry a few times, condolences to Leigh.

issues 09-14-2021 05:34 AM

I'm simply devastated, he was one of the best of us...

I wish I could share a story or tell a joke, but I'm at a loss for words. Larry and Leigh are like family and this is not an easy one to take.

NCRadioMan 09-14-2021 05:50 AM

Condolences to friends and family. RIP Larry.

Conch Republican 09-14-2021 07:05 AM

Wow, that's awful - I too had lost touch with him, but heard he was enjoying retirement from the FD. Godspeed brother!

Skywalker 09-30-2021 05:17 PM

I'm glad I had the pleasure of herfing with you! Rest in peace my friend!

HollywoodQue 10-01-2021 08:56 AM

RIH Larry, met him at Shack Herf..nice guy

CigarNut 10-05-2021 11:04 AM

Larry was one the good guys and he will be missed. May He Rest In Peace.