Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Pipe lighter (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=67125)

jjmitchem 12-24-2014 07:27 AM

Re: Pipe lighter

I've had a bunch of torch lighters for cigars and butane for pipes but I love my old zippo that was given to me years ago - the secret is the fluid

Only use the Zippo brand fluid in the black can. Let it burn for a couple of seconds and then light. No taste.

All of my other lighters are in drawers and my good torch lighters are in bug out bags :)

I have the Zippo pipe insert but since I smoke both I just use the standard insert

The.Sheepdog 12-24-2014 07:33 AM

Just got a new Vector soft flame lighter. The wind puts it out! Back to the zippo!

The.Sheepdog 01-02-2015 07:17 PM

Vector butane. Click it and you get hard flame for cigars. Release the bar and it goes to soft flame for pipes. close it to turn it all off. I like it so far. No hard flames for my pipes any more!

The.Sheepdog 01-12-2015 02:00 PM

Xikar Pipeline new toy. Up to eight lighters so far. Only two soft flame tho. Hope this is an end of collecting lighters.

Subvet642 01-12-2015 09:27 PM

I use paper matches. The mechanics are more natural to me than wood matches and with a smaller flame, I don't scorch the rim.

The.Sheepdog 01-13-2015 06:39 AM

Im an engineer by mindset and education Darren. I like toys!

Subvet642 01-13-2015 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The.Sheepdog (Post 2011885)
Im an engineer by mindset and education Darren. I like toys!

Oh, I like toys, too. It's just that as one rotates a butane flame through an arc downward, even while pulling on the pipe, it would seem difficult at best to avoid burning the rim. I'm kinda anal retentive, myself. Fortunately, the wife is too. :tf

MarkinAZ 01-13-2015 10:14 AM

On days of no wind or a very gentle breeze on the patio, it is the big box of Diamond Kitchen Matches.

And for a little variance (sometimes used more than the DKM), I use a disposable BIC. Has a soft flame and you really can't ask for anything more...

The.Sheepdog 01-13-2015 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subvet642 (Post 2011931)
Oh, I like toys, too. It's just that as one rotates a butane flame through an arc downward, even while pulling on the pipe, it would seem difficult at best to avoid burning the rim. I'm kinda anal retentive, myself. Fortunately, the wife is too. :tf

This is butane but is not a butane hard blue flame. It is a yellow soft flame! I can adjust the flame as small as I want and it does not burn the bowl.

Just like a bic I guess only cooler! Look up Xikar Pipeline and see. Purty!

Subvet642 01-13-2015 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The.Sheepdog (Post 2011961)
This is butane but is not a butane hard blue flame. It is a yellow soft flame! I can adjust the flame as small as I want and it does not burn the bowl.

Just like a bic I guess only cooler! Look up Xikar Pipeline and see. Purty!

Yes, they are, and I just may get one for GP; you see, I'm an evil cigarette smoker, too.

Langod 01-15-2015 02:14 PM

I use one of 3

A Xikar single flame torch for windy-ish days, that I also use for cigars
A Beattie Jet Lighter that I rescued form Ebay.
Or a Zippo Pipe Lighter that was part of a special purchase on another forum that has a bunch of miscreants like here. The Badger is tthier logo.
(BTW the trick to Zippos "taste" is to let it burn for a second or two before applying to the pipe.)
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/wiki_...pid=8467&x=100

MarkinAZ 01-15-2015 02:18 PM

Nice looking Zippo Jim:tu

The.Sheepdog 01-15-2015 02:19 PM

I just ordered the Im Old Boy pipe lighter. The Xikar is a supposed copy. What I notice is that the Xikar will not hold a lot of gas. (small tank?) It also likes to start off the flame at a bit high for me.

I never hear anything bad about the Old Boy. Xikar's seem to dislike me I think!

ApexAZ 01-15-2015 02:41 PM

I've been using the IMCO G77R and they work great. Cheap, effective, refillable. Doesn't break the bank if it gets lost.