Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Wine, Beer, and Spirits (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Ardbeg (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=55136)

dubnick 04-18-2012 04:50 PM

Ardbeg

Was suggested by a friend... But nothing further then just "try Ardbeg"

What say you all of "Ardbeg?" Any suggestions or reviews of this particular distillery.

I'm fairly new to Scotch and have mostly been a blend drinker. JW Black as the go to... Gold on special occasions.

Please help me... :confused::confused:

pnoon 04-18-2012 05:17 PM

Re: Ardbeg

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubnick (Post 1619524)
Was suggested by a friend... But nothing further then just "try Ardbeg"

What say you all of "Ardbeg?" Any suggestions or reviews of this particular distillery.

I'm fairly new to Scotch and have mostly been a blend drinker. JW Black as the go to... Gold on special occasions.

Please help me... :confused::confused:

It's a peat monster. If you don't care for that, stay away. I happen to like the stinky peaty single malts, so Ardbeg is a winner for me.
:2

dubnick 04-18-2012 05:40 PM

Thanks for the insight! Much appreciated!

SvilleKid 04-18-2012 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnoon (Post 1619535)
It's a peat monster. If you don't care for that, stay away. I happen to like the stinky peaty single malts, so Ardbeg is a winner for me.
:2

Peter is 100% on this!! It will knock your socks off if you like smoky, peaty scotch! Jeremy (my son) was all over this. I had a few sips from time to time, but it was not to my liking. I'm more in the Taliskers (especially their Distiller's Edition), or Glenfiddich camp if I drink scotch.

Frodo 04-19-2012 12:06 AM

Ardbeg, Laphroaig & Lagavulin are sometimes known as "the Kidalton Three" and all produce extremely smoky whisky with notes of salt, seaweed and iodine. There are differances: Laphroaig has more medicinal notes (like disinfectent), Ardbeg has more citrus notes when young, and I'm not sure how to describe Lagavulin - mostly because I haven't had much. There are smoky whiskies without the coastal influences such as Benriach or Ardmore.

Ardbeg is not cheap stuff and the cost per year of age is significant. But it is widely lauded as a premium whisky.

Frodo 04-19-2012 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubnick (Post 1619524)

Given that you sound like you're used to whiskies that have more balance than Ardbeg, I would suggest either trying Ardbeg at a bar first, or trying something more smoky - kinda like dipping your toe in the water. There are some smoky blends out there - Black Bottle and The Black Grouse are two examples off the top of my head. Teachers is another although not as smoky as the first two I mentioned.

Garbandz 04-19-2012 07:55 AM

Ardbeg is smokey,and lighter bodied than Lagavulin or Laphroaig,but shares that south coast Islay punch and coastal character.If you can find a cask strength bottling to sample from,do it.The Islay character takes some getting used to,but once you develop the taste for them,it is easy to appreciate and enjoy them.
There is a newer distillery on Islay called Kilchoman,they produce a lovely dram.

dubnick 04-19-2012 03:08 PM

Very helpful stuff! Thanks so much everybody! I like the idea of a smoky flavor. I've been drinking JW Double Black and it has some nice smoky notes IMHO.

mosesbotbol 04-19-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frodo (Post 1619839)
Ardbeg has more citrus notes when young, and I'm not sure how to describe Lagavulin - mostly because I haven't had much.

Ardbeg is for sure citrusy. I had a bottle of Supernova and I was not expecting that based on how peaty they're supposed to be. Lagavulin to me has iodine taste very strong.

Go for the Ardbeg 10. Tastes a lot better than you'd expect at 10 years old and doesn't break the bank.

dubnick 04-19-2012 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol (Post 1620343)
Ardbeg is for sure citrusy. I had a bottle of Supernova and I was not expecting that based on how peaty they're supposed to be. Lagavulin to me has iodine taste very strong.

Go for the Ardbeg 10. Tastes a lot better than you'd expect at 10 years old and doesn't break the bank.

Excellent! I'll try Ardbeg 10 next time I'm at the bar. I'll see what all the fuss is about. :dr

mastershogun 08-14-2012 09:24 PM

Can anyone speak to the differences between the 10 year (which I enjoy very much) and Uigeadail or Corryvreckan? Is it worth the price difference for a bottle? I'm looking to pick up some and was wondering if I should stick with the usual 10yr or move up the line.

SvilleKid 08-14-2012 09:44 PM

Don't know, personally, but would love to also see the comments on this question!

Frodo 09-23-2012 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mastershogun (Post 1700174)
Can anyone speak to the differences between the 10 year (which I enjoy very much) and Uigeadail or Corryvreckan? Is it worth the price difference for a bottle? I'm looking to pick up some and was wondering if I should stick with the usual 10yr or move up the line.

I've only had the 10 and the oogie but for me, the Uigeadail is worth it. More balance and higher ABV which means the bottle will last longer if you add water to your dram. The U is a more complex dram compared to the 10yr.

Frodo 09-23-2012 10:07 AM

Whisky ***** (Amy Douglas) digs the Corryvreckan but she really likes whiskies that have an uber aggressive flavour profile (like off the charts aggressive - stuff like Port Charlotte, GT Stagg, Laphroaig CS etc)).