Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   One Of The Really GOOD Vendors... (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=55177)

shilala 04-20-2012 08:52 AM

One Of The Really GOOD Vendors...

This morning I called Todd (RevSmoke) for some help. We have 4 Coasties on the Cutter Monomoy that are pipe smokers. I sent pipe tobacco quite awhile back that you guys had donated and figure they have to be running very low if not completely out.
I know exactly zero about pipe tobacco, and needed some good people who I could throw myself at their mercy.
Todd suggested I call Cornell and Diehl and fill them in on what I was doing and ask them what would be best to send. He also mentioned they may have discounts for the troop support sort of thing.
So I called and spoke to Chris at C&D. I explained that I wanted to fill a 12" x 9" x 5" travel humi, and that it'd probably handle about 3 pounds of pipe tobacco (at my best guess). I suggested that he send their "Hoover Blend" which is a mixed value blend, and he immediately said "no, I won't send that."
He's going to send a number of different tins and some pipe cleaners. More than we can possibly use, I'm sure. He took my address and wouldn't even discuss money.
I explained that we are more than capable of paying, that we'll need him in the future, and we don't want to take advantage of him. He said, "We have Vets over there, too. We understand." I immediately stopped arguing, we all understand that.

I closed the call and got to thinking...
Chris had mentioned they had some of their boys over there. Maybe some are cigar smokers? So I called him back and extended our help to him, offering to take care of their boys just as they offered to take care of ours. I think Chris was very happy, I could tell by his voice, and I left my name and number with him. I don't know if they have anyone, but it sure will be nice to take care of those that take care of us, and take care of our boys.

Needless to say, this absolutely made my day. I was very much set back at Cornell and Diehl's incredible generosity. The best part is that it was 100% genuine. No strings, no hope of accolades, no expectations, no need for advertisement, nothing. Just plain old love.
Todd told me they were wonderful people, a great company, and exceptional vendors. When he told me that, I didn't for a second imagine just how wonderful.

I really had no idea how the BOTL ideal spread across the pipe smoking world up until today. I have to admit that I'm more than pleasantly surprised, and feel just that much more blessed to be a part of all of this. :tu

Whee 04-20-2012 08:53 AM

Re: One Of The Really GOOD Vendors...

:tu

Blak Smyth 04-20-2012 08:56 AM

Gave me chills. I love to hear about these kinds of good people! If I ever want to order some pipe tobacco they will be my first stop!

Subvet642 04-20-2012 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blak Smyth (Post 1621023)
Gave me chills. I love to hear about these kinds of good people! If I ever want to order some pipe tobacco they will be my first stop!

:tpd: :salute:

maninblack 04-20-2012 09:03 AM

Stand up people!! Proud to live in this great country!

icehog3 04-20-2012 09:22 AM

Always great to hear a story like this, Scott. :)

chaase321 04-20-2012 09:25 AM

Great people there at C&D! Glad to see they are helping out too.

And Scott, good for you in representing the cigar nation and CA in calling back and expressing our willingness to send smokes over to their group. We love all the troops and appreciate their service and would love to add more to the list of mailings.

Another great read on the Asylum and how stand up BOTL's and SOTL's can be! :tu

Ogre 04-20-2012 10:33 AM

Still shows there is some pride in this country.:tu

ArgusP2 04-20-2012 10:41 AM

Everything above X100

Thinking of trying out pipes and tobacco, they will definitely be my first stop!

kelmac07 04-20-2012 01:16 PM

:tu :tu :tu :tu :tu

hammondc 04-20-2012 03:13 PM

I have been smoking C&D exclusively for years because of their CS. Super fantastic bunch there. If you ever in the area (mooresville, NC?) give em a call. They'll let you tour the shop and make your own blend. I did this about 7 years ago.

BHalbrooks 04-20-2012 06:50 PM

My Wife is a Coastie, and Coastie's are known for getting the worst treatment. People saying, "The USCG isn't military" and crap like that.

Really glad to hear about such a kick ass company that supports the Troops, both foreign and domestic. Also really awesome job Scott giving some love to a branch that rarely gets any.

dubnick 04-20-2012 07:27 PM

Great to hear!!!

CRIMPS 04-21-2012 08:31 AM

Very cool to hear. Props to you as well, Scott.

14holestogie 04-21-2012 09:32 AM

Amazing story and generosity on all fronts. :tu

Pseudosacred 04-21-2012 09:50 AM

That's amazing service! It's so amazing when a company shows how much it cares and wants to help our troops.

I'll definitely be buying my next few tins from them!

DMK 04-21-2012 02:11 PM

:tu :salute:
Good to hear, I haven't tried any of their pipe tobacco yet.
Time to place an order.

Cigar Mike 04-22-2012 12:10 AM

Wow! What a great thing for them to do. I'm definitely going to pass the word about their company and give them some business when I get home.

physiognomy 04-22-2012 12:46 AM

Thanks for sharing this story with us, Scott. I like several C&D blends & there are many more I want to try. I can see an order going their way in the near future.

never_enough 04-22-2012 07:47 AM

Thanks for telling us this great story. Its nice to read things like this and realize there are still great caring people out there. Thanks to all parties involved for being so selfless and willing to help others.

And when I buy pipes/tobacco for other people, I now know the first place I will go.