Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   HVAC guy rant (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=45535)

forgop 05-13-2011 07:31 AM

HVAC guy rant

Ok, how can a company come out and spend no more than 10 minutes at my house and accurately determine my needs for a new central air unit? The guy didn't bother to ask anything about how many square feet or check the number of supplies/returns the new unit would be feeding. All he did was spend about 5 minutes in my attic looking at the ducting and electric furnace that was installed in January and didn't even bother to check out either end of the 2nd floor.

I'll bet money this guy comes in at half the price compared to the guy who spent 30+ minutes out here yesterday evaluating all of the attic access areas to run all of the necessary lines and took an inventory of all the parts he'll need.

Christiel49 05-13-2011 07:47 AM

Re: HVAC guy rant

WOW, That sounds about right! Some care and want to be fair & accurate, & some don't give a rats a**.

Thats why in my line of work I have gathered quite a rolodex of honest contractors. So, I have a guy for everything!

Hope you get a decent crew for the new unit. & @ a decent $

icehog3 05-13-2011 08:38 AM

Congratulations on breaking the Official "Rant Thread" record at CA, Duane!! :wo :r

Blueface 05-13-2011 08:50 AM

Duane, I fear you are destined to pop an artery.

forgop 05-13-2011 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 1261321)
Congratulations on breaking the Official "Rant Thread" record at CA, Duane!! :wo :r

Thanks. ;)

I just get tired of this kind of thing-companies are begging for business and then shoot themselves in the foot time and time again. In a week, this guy will be wondering why he didn't get my business.

MurphysLaw 05-13-2011 09:12 AM

Sounds like the guy doesn't deserve your business, cross him off the list and move on to the next one.

Blueface 05-13-2011 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forgop (Post 1261368)
Thanks. ;)

I just get tired of this kind of thing-companies are begging for business and then shoot themselves in the foot time and time again. In a week, this guy will be wondering why he didn't get my business.

Come to South Florida.
You will pop an artery for sure then.
At least they show up for you.
Two out of three vendors you call here will either never return your call or if they do, they never show up.
I'll take your woes over mine in this regard.

neoflex 05-13-2011 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueface (Post 1261378)
Come to South Florida.
You will pop an artery for sure then.
At least they show up for you.
Two out of three vendors you call here will either never return your call or if they do, they never show up.
I'll take your woes over mine in this regard.

Hehe this is a phenomenon that blows my mind here in NC. It's like they only seek out work when they need more beer money. Than after they blow an appointment they act surprised that you found someone else when they call you two weeks later obviously in need of more funds.

tsolomon 05-13-2011 09:32 AM

Went through the same thing a couple of years ago when I replaced my central air and I did ask him that same question. He said that by looking at the old unit and the size of the house, he knew what the appropriate size would be. I pursued it based on the fact that the old unit couldn't keep the house cool and he assured me that it was a cheap unit and that the new one would do the job. I can now say that he was right and the new unit not only kept the house cooler, but it also cut my summer electricity bill in half. :2

cmitch 05-13-2011 09:48 AM

When I built my home in 2005, I got a 15 SEER 3.5 ton Heatpump and all ductwork installed for $9,350 final price (It was bid out for $9850). The second lowest bid (I had bid it out for a 14 SEER) was $15,000. When I told 'Jimmy' That 'Sam' was going to do it for $9,850, he scoffed and said it would not be done right. What he didn't understand is that 'Sam' doesn't cheat people. He charges a fair price for his work. 'Jimmy' was miffed and said that there was no way 'Sam' could do it for $9,850!. Fast forward 6 weeks, I get a call from 'Sam', saying, "Hey, Clayton. I got a closeout deal on a 15 SEER American Standard that is $500 CHEAPER than the 14 SEER American Standard I quoted. Want me to get it?" It was a no brainer. I seen 'Jimmy' in town about 3 months later. He says, "Well, did 'Sam' do that job for $9850?" I replied that he wasn't able to do it for that. Jimmy gets all excited and says, "See, I told you it couldn't be done for $9850!"
I politely let him down by saying that 'Sam' DIDN'T do it for $9850. He did it for $9,350! THAT pissed him off.

ashtonlady 05-13-2011 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MurphysLaw (Post 1261371)
Sounds like the guy doesn't deserve your business, cross him off the list and move on to the next one.

:tpd:

forgop 05-13-2011 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MurphysLaw (Post 1261371)

I considered that done before he got in the truck. The best part is this is a company that I responded to from a mailer and thought I'd give them a try.

But seriously, the guy doesn't know whether he needs a unit for 1000 sq ft or 3000 sq ft upstairs.

forgop 05-13-2011 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsolomon (Post 1261402)
Went through the same thing a couple of years ago when I replaced my central air and I did ask him that same question. He said that by looking at the old unit and the size of the house, he knew what the appropriate size would be. I pursued it based on the fact that the old unit couldn't keep the house cool and he assured me that it was a cheap unit and that the new one would do the job. I can now say that he was right and the new unit not only kept the house cooler, but it also cut my summer electricity bill in half. :2

If I was just replacing a unit, you might be able to make that assumption. In my situation, the house was not built with a duct big enough to carry enough cfm's to heat/cool 2300 sq. ft. adequately. You can barely feel the air trickle through any vent and by the time you get it, it's no longer hot/cold air because of the distance it travels to get there. My system blows downward and then makes an immediate 90 degree turn for the supply upstairs in a duct half the size it needs to be. Therefore, I'm forced to have entirely separate systems for each floor. The problem is, for a new unit, he has no measurements of square footage or knowledge of the supplies/returns upstairs.

Can't wait to see his bid though...the guy yesterday guesstimated it would be around $5k for a 3T central air unit, a 3T air handler, and all of the other necessary work to go along with it.