Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   NHL '11 - '12 Thread (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=48368)

taltos 08-22-2011 01:28 PM

Re: NHL '11 - '12 Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahbroody (Post 1377190)
Its funny my son is young and has averaged a violent collision that made me very concerned both of his first two years. He has thankfully gotten a lot better this summer about skating with his head up as I have hammered on him about it. Whats sad is we get so used to yelling at the kids to get up when they go down. Its just part of the culture and I and everyone else is guilty of doing it. Its generally the first response. Then its, crap he might be hurt. The sport makes you tough I have seen this first hand with my son. Watched him get hit pop back up start to skate then start to cry and head to the bench with the wind knocked out. Its part of the game and deeply engrained in the culture to be tough and play hurt and not say when somethings wrong. That dudes a nancy etc. Its odd I was proud of him last year when he had his big collision and wanted to go back out after I got done checking him out. I didnt let him skate anymore that day even though he seemed fine.

Its definitely something I worry about a lot. The other day he said he wanted to play in yhe nhl when he grew up. I laughed and said he should play baseball or golf. As of late I wouldnt want him to ever play at that level.

Mike, I played goal throughout peewees and midgets to high school and in the Ivies. I was very lucky due to my position that the only injuries that I had was a knee that had to have a cart removed and some back problems showing up now that I do not know if they were from sports or from military service. I think that my point is that now a days you need to keep an eye on your kids so that concussions and brain stem injuries are not missed in the tempo of getting them back on the ice. Sorry for intruding on this post again. Paul

icehog3 08-22-2011 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruins Fan (Post 1382370)
I guess not, with the flex could be up to 21 games :D

14 Bruins games will be broadcast nationally in the United States on VERSUS (games marked as "non-exclusive" will also be televised locally on NESN). Three games will be broadcast nationally on NBC, with an additional four marked as "flex" games by NBC, meaning they potentially could become nationally televised games on NBC if the network chooses.

Blame ESPN.com for being an unreliable source of information. ;)

DPD6030 08-25-2011 08:55 AM

Anyone go see the cup yesterday?

357 08-25-2011 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DPD6030 (Post 1386590)
Anyone go see the cup yesterday?

I know it was making appearances in Oxford and Davison. Both near me, but I couldn't make it to either.

Ahbroody 08-26-2011 02:03 PM

For all you Boston fanboys the purehockey store in Braintree will be selling Bruins team gear from the 2010-11 season on Sep 10th 10 am.

Just looking out.

lyle23 08-26-2011 08:27 PM

I saw for the first time the other day the hit on Crosby that put him in the condition he is in right now, that hit has no place in ANY level of sports. As much as I do not like Crosby, I wish him the best and hope he can soon play again. When he doesn't play like a baby he is great to watch.

gpugliese 08-26-2011 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lyle23 (Post 1389155)
I saw for the first time the other day the hit on Crosby that put him in the condition he is in right now, that hit has no place in ANY level of sports. As much as I do not like Crosby, I wish him the best and hope he can soon play again. When he doesn't play like a baby he is great to watch.

Are you talking about when he ran into Steckel at the Winter Classic or when the Penguins foolishly put him back in against Tampa Bay and Hedman finished his check?

icehog3 08-26-2011 09:41 PM

Game happens fast at that level, I don't think there was intent on Steckel's part. Crosby's teammate Matt Cooke makes more questionable hits than that on a weekly basis. :2

SmokeyJoe 08-26-2011 10:08 PM

Let's hear it for the 'Canes!

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/b...ey/cam-cup.jpg

Ahbroody 08-26-2011 10:24 PM

I think Steckel decided he wasnt going to move for him. He knew he was there though and he knew he was going to catch him.

No argument on Cooke. Dont think anyone could argue there has been a dirty player in many years. Loved seeing him get iced by Ivander Kane.

lyle23 08-27-2011 09:08 AM

I was talking about the winter classic hit. from what it looked like, and I saw it once, was that he he blind sided him with an eblow to the head. Like I said I saw it once and only once. That's what it looked like to me, just my :2 I agree 100% on your thoughts on mike Cooke. Correct me if im wrong, but, I believe it was him that hit marc savard originally, and we know what has happened to him. Either way, when Crosby plays like a pro, and not a baby, he is a great player.

icehog3 08-27-2011 12:40 PM

Cooke can count Marc Savard among his many victims.

Here is the hit on Crosby so you can see it again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUQziwabMKk

Partagaspete 08-28-2011 12:54 PM

Time again for the waaaay back machine:

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=potvi...0&tx=166&ty=74

Savvy 08-28-2011 02:42 PM

Not much for me to say here except GO PENS!

Hopefully Crosby will be good to go again by the start of the season, he had an amazing first half of the season last year, kind of a shame he got hurt for the second half of it.

I am slightly worried about the Flyers though this year, I think they made a lot of big moves to improve their teams depth. I expect them to do pretty well this year.

Also hoping the Kings do something (Gotta hope for the best for a guy I went to High School with)...

Can't wait 'til it's hockey season again...

icehog3 08-31-2011 05:42 PM

Former NHL player Wade Belak has been found dead in his home in Toronto, NHL.com reported Wednesday.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/69...lak-found-dead

3 gone this summer, such a waste.

Ahbroody 08-31-2011 08:24 PM

talk about the gorilla in the corner. You have to imagine the league is panicked praying this stops. Just reinforces my desire to be careful with the boy. Repetitive concussions effects seem to be something that can't be ignored as to depression and destructive behavior.

35 with a wife and two kids. My age, I can't imagine what he was thinking if everything is as it appears. RIP. Prayers to the family

drjammer 09-01-2011 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 1394396)
Former NHL player Wade Belak has been found dead in his home in Toronto, NHL.com reported Wednesday.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/69...lak-found-dead

3 gone this summer, such a waste.

What a shame to hear this, I got the opportunity to see Wade score his first NHL goal with the Avalanche.

RIP Wade

357 09-01-2011 11:31 AM

Wow, only 35. Crazy.

icehog3 09-01-2011 01:10 PM

Winnipeg Jets defenseman Dustin Byfuglien has been arrested in Minnesota on suspicion of boating while intoxicated.

An arrest log for the Hennepin County jail says Byfuglien was booked just after 11 p.m. local time Wednesday and released early Thursday morning. He has not been formally charged.

Eleven 09-01-2011 01:24 PM

Not a great off-season for the NHL. 3 deaths, Big Buff in trouble...I hope things get better, fast.