Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   iphone 4 just announced. (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=32793)

goalie204 11-23-2010 05:23 AM

Re: iphone 4 just announced.

I was reading that cydia doesn't work with the newest jailbreak. I'm not updating right now anyway because theres nothing useful to me in 4.2

Montano 11-27-2010 02:12 PM

I'm loving 4.2 :)

It's awesome to be able to print work docs and emails directly from my iphone to my old Brother MFC-440CN printer :D

tenbaseg 11-27-2010 04:32 PM

Aside from proximity sensor problems, I've been happy with 4.x. My sensor problems may actually be design vs. software.

As far as printing, I find it funny how I can't print (yet) to the printer that Apple sold me when I got my iMac. Hopefully airprint will support more printers soon.

Montano 11-27-2010 04:35 PM

I have AirPrint and Bonjour installed on my PC. A few registry "adjustments" and I'm printing flawlessly ;)

floydpink 11-27-2010 05:59 PM

purely speculation, but enough to make me hold off on my upgrade:

A few features of iPhone 5:

Thinner! With shiny glass back piece - 9.3 mm thick.

Face Recognition Security

Face Time (Video Chat) access on 3G AND 4G (available currently but only on 3G)

Custom SMS tones

Custom E-mail alerts with ability to assign different tones to each email address

A new, sleeker body design.

OLED screen.

Scratch proof and shatter proof screen

Wireless sync with iTunes

32G (basic) and 64G of memory. You're sure to never run out.

Extended battery life = 14 hours talk time on 3G and 7 hours on 4G. Standby 600 hours.

Hi Definition audio.

Messaging indicator light.

True GPS built in.

rack04 01-11-2011 09:51 AM

http://www.redmondpie.com/wp-content...phone-0993.jpg

shilala 01-11-2011 09:55 AM

I just got mine a few days ago. I love it. I'm not surprised, I loved my 3GS, too.

Chingas 03-20-2011 04:13 AM

Ok. Time to revive the thread.

Aparently, the Greenpois0n JB Does Not have Staying power over the 4.3 update. So, does anyone know of a JB that works on 4.3?

I've lost all my Cydia apps and Installeous Apps, all enhancements, improvements and personal effects. Whoops!

Thanks.

goalie204 03-20-2011 06:57 AM

i never bothered upgrading my ios firmware cuz there was nothing in 4.2 or 4.3 i cared about, still using 4.1.

but for you a simple google search reveals: http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-...-how-to-guide/

MurphysLaw 03-20-2011 08:29 AM

You can try to downgrade back to 4.2 and then re-jailbreak, or just wait a few days for GP to release the jailbreak for 4.3

Chingas 03-21-2011 03:51 AM

I tried SnowBreeze which acted way different than GreenPoison.

After the JB, everything was gone. All pictures, contacts, apps, data, etc.

Then, because it's tethered, everytime you ReSpring, you need to be hooked up to your computer and run iBooty in order to start up in JB mode, otherwise it's just the normal phone.

I did notice a pay service to JB for $25. Looks like a UK based site. They claim their JB works for all basebands on all firmware versions and iOS versions.

I'm still trying to figure out why the hell I ever moved up to 4.3. I was running 3.x without issue and decided to make the jump without ever looking to see if their was a JB available.

floydpink 03-21-2011 06:34 AM

I had my phone freeze in white screen using Greenpoison and had to do a restore.

I followed the "easy" video step by step on youtube with no success.

MurphysLaw 03-21-2011 10:20 AM

Pete,

Did you upgrade to 4.3 or were you still running 4.2.1 when you tried to JB? The JB for 4.3 hasn't been released yet, so it won't work until they release the JB for 4.3.

floydpink 03-21-2011 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MurphysLaw (Post 1212371)
Pete,

Did you upgrade to 4.3 or were you still running 4.2.1 when you tried to JB? The JB for 4.3 hasn't been released yet, so it won't work until they release the JB for 4.3.

I'm running 4.2.

It happens when I do the part where you let your finger off the top button and keep holding the bottom. (the freezing in white part)

The only real reason I wanted to JB was for Cydia, but it's not overly important to me.

Chingas 03-22-2011 03:48 AM

Pete. That procedure is for going into DFU mode. It's about 10 seconds holding power and home buttons.

Then release power and keep holding home for another 30 seconds.

The screen should "flash white" somewhere close to the original 10 second mark then with the home key still pressed and the finger of the power, the phone should restart.

The GreenPois0n I used was way back during the 3.x days. There is no GreenPois0n now for 4.3.

However Pete, you have lots of options for 4.2. I believe RedSn0w and UltraSn0w are both options for you.

floydpink 03-22-2011 10:18 AM

I might put it off until after my NYC trip in May.

I have all my itineraries and routes saved as well as a lot of other stuff I would hate to lose and am concerned after my last attempt.

Then again, when my trip is over in June, hopefully I will be getting the Iphone 5.....:sh

Chingas 03-23-2011 05:10 AM

I hear ya. The SnowBreeze attempt had me build and use a new ipvw or something like that and I lost Everything.

The old JailbreakMe site was awesome. You keep everything.

Then there was Green Poison where I was able o keep everything.

I'm hoping that the next one, maybe unlockGuide let's you keep everything.

shilala 03-23-2011 08:44 AM

I must be getting old. Everything I owned used to be hacked, reflashed, or overclocked. I considered jailbreaking my phone for about five minutes because I wanted to tether my ipad.
After looking into it, I decided I'd rather skewer myself than fight with my phone all day. I just like things to be easy nowadays.

ir13 03-23-2011 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shilala (Post 1214469)
I must be getting old. Everything I owned used to be hacked, reflashed, or overclocked. I considered jailbreaking my phone for about five minutes because I wanted to tether my ipad.
After looking into it, I decided I'd rather skewer myself than fight with my phone all day. I just like things to be easy nowadays.

my ip4 works just the same as it did before it was jailbroken, i can just do what i please on it now. Yea i have to respring from time to time, but i did that before i was jailbroken as well.

MurphysLaw 03-23-2011 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shilala (Post 1214469)

If you have the scratch to pay your carrier for tethering then it probably is a better option not to JB. I have a limited budget and I'd rather my money go to the finer things in life (read: cigars).