Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   iphone 4 just announced. (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=32793)

The Professor 06-07-2010 12:54 PM

Re: iphone 4 just announced.

Quote:

Originally Posted by newcigarz (Post 879910)
OH that genius :r:r:r

:r

This phone may just be cool enough to get me to go back to ATT. Wow.

sikk50 06-07-2010 01:00 PM

I wish there was more memory though. I've got over 100gigs of music. I stopped using my iPod when I bought my 3G (day after they were released, upgrade time!) but having to change my music around all the time is tiresome

newcigarz 06-07-2010 01:13 PM

Officially up on Apple's website now.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/

CigarNut 06-07-2010 01:15 PM

I thought that it was intersting that no other carriers or platforms for other carriers were even hinted at... I would have figured that if Apple was going to do something with another carrier this would have been the place to announce it...

Blueface 06-07-2010 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newcigarz (Post 879910)
OH that genius :r:r:r

The same genius that was told his iPad is useless and has sold how many in two months?:r

JE3146 06-07-2010 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Professor (Post 879909)
"We developed a glass that's 30 times harder than plastic."

For the record, that statement was posted long after I made my comment ;)

The Professor 06-07-2010 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CigarNut (Post 879928)
I thought that it was intersting that no other carriers or platforms for other carriers were even hinted at... I would have figured that if Apple was going to do something with another carrier this would have been the place to announce it...

Yeah ... but that's not how Apple operates. I don't think another carrier is in the foreseeable future. I'd be surprised if it was announced in time for the holiday season in November. I think it's more likely to come in 2011 or even later.

T.G 06-07-2010 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Professor (Post 879909)
"We developed a glass that's 30 times harder than plastic."

I'll believe that once I've gone to an AT&T store and it doesn't break when I accidentally drop one and then accidentally step on it before picking it up.

JE3146 06-07-2010 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueface (Post 879932)
The same genius that was told his iPad is useless and has sold how many in two months?:r

So you really think Steve Jobs is the 'genius' that invented this special glass?

Is that the way I'm reading this?

JE3146 06-07-2010 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Professor (Post 879948)
Yeah ... but that's not how Apple operates. I don't think another carrier is in the foreseeable future. I'd be surprised if it was announced in time for the holiday season in November. I think it's more likely to come in 2011 or even later.

2011-2012 is a more realistic expectation with the standardization of LTE.

smitdavi 06-07-2010 01:45 PM

I know both Katie and I will be getting one. Pretty sweet imo

MiamiE 06-07-2010 01:46 PM

Count me in.

mithrilG60 06-07-2010 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JE3146 (Post 879861)
Glass front and back? What genius thought that up. One drop and done.

Actually the glass used in iPhone's (not just the 4th gen just announced) is amazingly tough and almost impossible to scratch. The only way they break is if you drop the phone and it lands directly on a corner concentrating the entire force in a very small area. I'll be intrigued to see if the new "30x stronger than plastic" glass they've developed for this phone will withstand those kind of impacts better than previous gen's.

JE3146 06-07-2010 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mithrilG60 (Post 879973)
Actually the glass used in iPhone's (not just the 4th gen just announced) is amazingly tough and almost impossible to scratch. The only way they break is if you drop the phone and it lands directly on a corner concentrating the entire force in a very small area. I'll be intrigued to see if the new "30x stronger than plastic" glass they've developed for this phone will withstand those kind of impacts better than previous gen's.

I've seen a couple people I know with chipped glass on the front edges of their iPhone, which is why it concerned me. Didn't affect functionality, just looked atrocious.

newcigarz 06-07-2010 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JE3146 (Post 879960)
So you really think Steve Jobs is the 'genius' that invented this special glass?

Is that the way I'm reading this?

We get it, you don't care for the iphone, AT&T, Steve Jobs, or all of them put together. Plenty of options out there for you. :2

I started this thread becuase I knew there were plenty of people excited about the new iphone.

newcigarz 06-07-2010 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JE3146 (Post 879947)
For the record, that statement was posted long after I made my comment ;)

And that makes your comment valid how? :confused:

aich75013 06-07-2010 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JE3146 (Post 879976)
I've seen a couple people I know with chipped glass on the front edges of their iPhone, which is why it concerned me. Didn't affect functionality, just looked atrocious.

I've seen a Blackberry and an Android phone with cracked screens as well.

s0leful0ne 06-07-2010 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newcigarz (Post 879998)
And that makes your comment valid how? :confused:

I dont think it was meant to validate his comment it was meant to save face :)

I really want this phone, but I dont want an AT&T plan especially with their new policy on internet usage. Tethering was a dealbreaker for me the last time I shopped an iphone, and with the ubiquity of wi-fi in public places, the new rates don't appeal to me.

It doesnt look like any other carriers are gonna show up on the iphone anytime soon. AT&T is doing alot of backscratching for apple with the iPad so in return the iPhone is going to stay exclusive.

newcigarz 06-07-2010 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aich75013 (Post 880012)
I've seen a Blackberry and an Android phone with cracked screens as well.

Yes, it happens.

This is the iphone that the new iphone 4 will be replacing. It is an original Edge iphone purchased the 2nd day they were available. never had a single day of trouble and never broke the glass.

http://www.fototime.com/D6B3FFDB12D855D/standard.jpg

mithrilG60 06-07-2010 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JE3146 (Post 879976)

Those are from dropping it on the edges, it applies much more force to a smaller area. I've had friends that were unlucky enough to drop theirs right on the corner and completely spiderweb the screen and it's still been completely usable. I've also seen Blackberry's, including most of the work units at my office, that have stood up far worst to much less abuse and look like total ass within 6 months of being issued.

It's all in how well you take care of your stuff. If you were one of the kids on teh playground that was always abusing their toys and breaking them then any smartphone is probably not the best purchase decision. If you're careful with it, especially if you buy a case, your iPhone will look exactly the same in a couple years as it does the day it comes out of the box.