Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Entertainment (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Netflix Series (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=67338)

nutcracker 07-30-2014 07:43 AM

Netflix Series

So what are you guys watching?

Just finished the second series of Copper which was great for about 3/4 of the two series and then fizzled with some really bad overacting and civil war angst.

We really enjoyed Luther - absolutely superb British crime drama (recommended +++).

Started watching The Fall another Brit drama, but set in Belfast. Painfully slow and we stopped watching the first episode before it was done. Life is too short.

BlkDrew 07-30-2014 08:10 AM

Re: Netflix Series

Longmire, Orange is the new black (if you can look at it outside the box) and house of cards

Shaneg 07-30-2014 08:16 AM

Second the house of cards

stearns 07-30-2014 08:18 AM

I can't recommend Luther enough, it's short enough that it doesn't take long to finish (14 episodes between the three seasons) and is way more intense than any other crime drama i've seen.

Also a big thumbs up for house of cards and (if you liked the original series) arrested development. I watched the first season of orange is the new black and thought it was alright, haven't jumped on the second season yet

nutcracker 07-30-2014 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stearns (Post 1977494)
I can't recommend Luther enough, it's short enough that it doesn't take long to finish (14 episodes between the three seasons) and is way more intense than any other crime drama i've seen.

Also a big thumbs up for house of cards and (if you liked the original series) arrested development. I watched the first season of orange is the new black and thought it was alright, haven't jumped on the second season yet

Yea - you gotta just love Alice in Luther.

Kevin Spacey remains one of the great actors of his generation. (Although he defined himself with the Usual Suspects, and it's hard to see him as anything other than really sinister!)

pektel 07-30-2014 08:47 AM

Goosebumps, Woody Woodpecker, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, etc.

I don't get to pick what we watch.

Although, when it's really late, I will sneak in some Stephen Hawking programs (I believe it's called "into the universe")

dave 07-30-2014 09:55 AM

In last few years, we've streamed following serials end to end with no commercials (in approx order of how much we enjoyed them):

Older stuff -- Well worth the time:
Firefly - could just be one of the best series ever
Rescue Me
West Wing
Prison Break
Intelligence - great Canadian drama - shame it only lasted two seasons
Sleeper Cell - I'd never heard of this, but it is pretty good

Good filler stuff: Winds of War, Defenders, Touch, White Collar, South Park

Tried, but couldn't get into Breaking Bad, Luther (couldn't understand the English accents), Weeds, Dexter, Sons of Anarchy....and a few others

Most of the Netflix originals:
House of Cards - Very good.
Orange is the New Black - Great.
Lilyhammer - Different, but VERY entertaining - I highly recommend
Hemlock Grove - Couldn't get past first two episodes...seemed well done, just not to my taste

Others:

Chicago Code - Great! I can't work up Firefly-level outrage, but dumbfounded that it only lasted one season

The Job - Can't believe I never heard of this. Great! Rescue Me would never have happened without this. Very funny.

Scandal - Don't pay attention to network TV, so this had escaped us....first season was good; second season was sort of good, but as scenarios got wilder, it got harder to suspend disbelief and just enjoy the ride

mjdx88 07-30-2014 10:01 AM

My wife and I just watched Bones up to the past season finally.

I just picked up Fringe

G G 07-30-2014 12:07 PM

Fringe and Bones are great. I also am watching Continuum. An oldie Crossing Jordan. Have watched all of Lost. Nashville and some others I can't remember at the moment. I also use playon with the add on script 1Channel to watch shows right away, since Netflix takes a while to get new seasons. I guess it's questionable whether it's legal.

gettysburgfreak 07-30-2014 12:35 PM

house of cards kicks ass

nutcracker 07-30-2014 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G G (Post 1977541)
I guess it's questionable whether it's legal.

Step outside and light up a Cohiba! -(P :)

kugie 07-30-2014 02:34 PM

Orange is the new Black

Watching clone wars series with my son and we both are enjoying it.
Also netflix did the final season of clone wars and it's only available on netflix.

Also Sherlock the wife and I love this.

makers_fiend 07-30-2014 03:52 PM

I have been needing ideas of what to watch next. This has helped out alot. I have watched Merlin, SOA, Weeds, Breaking bad. I don't know if it is on Netflix but Nip/Tuck was pretty cool also. These are in no way order of preference.

nutcracker 08-01-2014 06:40 AM

So I picked up on Wallander (the Swedish version). Actually quite good - after episode 2 it becomes intriguing, with rather original story lines. If you can tolerate the subtitles, pretty good. The first two episodes seemed to be to a formula, and while trying to predict the outcome of episode 4, the writers fooled me. Cool. I like that.

Don Fernando 08-02-2014 02:08 AM

nobody mentioning Fargo? Of the From Dusk till Dawn series? wow

nutcracker 08-24-2014 05:13 PM

Now into "The Killing" season 3. Quite close to home as a few teenage girls have disappeared around here, one found in the Red River a week ago.

Adriftpanda 08-24-2014 05:59 PM

The killing. Hands down best show.

hotreds 08-24-2014 06:37 PM

Finishing up House. Not sure what my next series will be.

Porch Dweller 08-24-2014 08:06 PM

I've slowly been working my way through the new Dr. Who series.

the jiggler 08-24-2014 08:20 PM

All mentioned already I think but:

Longmire
Fargo
House of cards
Sherlock