Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Recipes (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Beignet Recipie (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=19932)

Volt 08-12-2009 04:58 PM

Beignet Recipie

If your asking yourself "what's a Beignet"? It's a sad life you have lived :) Also called French Market Doughnuts. Fried up into a hollw puff type pastry covered in powdered sugar. Outstanding with coffee!

[FONT=Consolas]Basin Street Dough by Dickie Betar 1967[/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas][/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas]3/4 cups scalded milk[/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas]1 stick of oleo[/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas]1/2 cup sugar[/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas]2 teaspoon salt[/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas]1 egg[/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas]4 cups all purpose flour[/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas]2 yeast cakes dissolved in 1/2 cup warm water or the equivalent from a jar [/FONT][FONT=Consolas]of yeast[/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas][/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas]add scalded milk to soft oleo and stir, add sugar and salt, beat egg and add to milk mixture, (be sure it has cooled some or will kill yeast) and yeast and flour. Place in frig over night.[/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas][/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas]Roll and cut up (roll faily flat and cut into 1" strips and then teh strip into 1.5" to 2" pieces) and fry (take out calories) and then eat and enjoy with coffee of course sprinkle powdered sugar[/FONT]

captain53 08-12-2009 05:01 PM

Re: Beignet Recipie

[quote=Volt;507206]If your asking yourself "what's a Beignet"? It's a sad life you have lived :)

AMEN!:tu

Emjaysmash 08-12-2009 05:01 PM

My mom makes these for Hannukah along with latkes...

Yummm!

captain53 08-12-2009 05:11 PM

And here is what goes best along side that Beignet:

http://www.cajungrocer.com/cdm-dark-...ind-p-874.html

Volt 08-12-2009 05:41 PM

Not sure what happened - but cleaned up:

Basin Street Dough by Dickie Betar 1967

3/4 cups scalded milk
1 stick of oleo
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
4 cups all purpose flour
2 yeast cakes dissolved in 1/2 cup warm water or the equivalent from a jar of yeast

add scalded milk to soft oleo and stir, add sugar and salt, beat egg and add to milk mixture, (be sure it has cooled some or will kill yeast) and yeast and flour. Place in frig over night.

Roll and cut up and fry (take out calories) and then eat and enjoy with coffee of course sprinkle powdered sugar

Volt 08-12-2009 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captain53 (Post 507226)
And here is what goes best along side that Beignet:

http://www.cajungrocer.com/cdm-dark-...ind-p-874.html

:tpd: Listen to the man, he knows coffee :)

bowhnter 08-12-2009 06:08 PM

I have never had one, but we are planning to go to New Orleans in Oct. That's on the to do list!

captain53 08-12-2009 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowhnter (Post 507305)
I have never had one, but we are planning to go to New Orleans in Oct. That's on the to do list!

When you finish that breakfast treat go right down the street to the Central Grocery and enjoy a Muffuletta and a couple of cold beers for lunch, it is the real deal

Central Grocery Co
923 Decatur Street
New Orleans, LA 70116

(504) 523-1620

bowhnter 08-12-2009 06:30 PM

Thanks for the tip Captain, putting it on the list!

joed 08-12-2009 06:57 PM

thanks for the info

ain't nothing better for a late night than a Beignet and a good coffee

Volt 08-12-2009 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowhnter (Post 507305)

BTW, less Katrina changed things... Cafe du Monde is open 24/7..... Nothing like a big ole plate and coffee at 0300 after partying.

captain53 08-12-2009 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volt (Post 507396)
BTW, less Katrina changed things... Cafe du Monde is open 24/7..... Nothing like a big ole plate and coffee at 0300 after partying.

Proceed with caution after dark down there, lots of stray lead.:gn

Silound 08-13-2009 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captain53 (Post 507432)
Proceed with caution after dark down there, lots of stray lead.:gn

Take cabs and stay out of the red light side of Bourbon and you'll be fine.

Mugen910 08-13-2009 09:57 AM

had my first Beignet sampler at Brenda's French Soul Food in San Fran..I guess this little hole in the wall place made the best in the area...had a taste of an Apple Beignet , Plain Beignet, and Crab Beignet :dr

Tenor CS 08-13-2009 10:38 AM

Although I'm sure they pale in comparison to real New Orleans beignets, one of the pluses of living in Orlando is being close to Disney, and therefore the Port Orleans resort. The wife and I have been known to head out there for Sunday morning breakfast of beignets, an omelet, and coffee.

Mister Moo 08-13-2009 12:17 PM

Oh my. Beignets.

My my my...

Something about a plate of beignets, powdered sugar all over your shirt and a cuppa at CDM on a spring morning down around New Orleans. It's just one of those things that there isn't anything else to compare it to.

Thx for the recipe.

My my my my my....

http://meekmok.com/muaddib/images/blog/beignet.jpg

Volt 08-13-2009 12:41 PM

:dr :dr :dr

Note to first time beignet eaters.... Only eat on the exhale or you WILL suck down the powered suger into the lungs .... makes life fun when you do that :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Moo (Post 508228)
Oh my. Beignets.

My my my...

Something about a plate of beignets, powdered sugar all over your shirt and a cuppa at CDM on a spring morning down around New Orleans. It's just one of those things that there isn't anything else to compare it to.

Thx for the recipe.

My my my my my....

http://meekmok.com/muaddib/images/blog/beignet.jpg

Cigary 08-13-2009 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captain53 (Post 507317)
When you finish that breakfast treat go right down the street to the Central Grocery and enjoy a Muffuletta and a couple of cold beers for lunch, it is the real deal

Central Grocery Co
923 Decatur Street
New Orleans, LA 70116

(504) 523-1620

Amen to this,,,go there anytime we are in New Orleans.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volt (Post 507396)

Best coffee and beignets anywhere.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volt (Post 508255)
:dr :dr :dr

Note to first time beignet eaters.... Only eat on the exhale or you WILL suck down the powered suger into the lungs .... makes life fun when you do that :D

Good advice,,,Im one of those guys who try to suck em down as fast as I can get em into my mouth,,,have actually choked on all of the powdered sugar.:dr

captain53 08-13-2009 06:37 PM

I have enjoyed this Thread, we got the coffee selected to go with the sweet beignets, lunch picked out and later we will work on dinner. But if we get up early and sit on the edge of the Mighty MS while watching the sunrise we need something to smoke with that fine first cup of CDM (always the best cup too). Suggestions for the perfect Coffee Cigar?

Volt 08-13-2009 07:23 PM

Dinner.... too easy

10 lbs of mudbugs each, red potatoes and corn on the cob that were cooked in the boil. Ice cold beer of your choice and a bowl of red beans and rice to wash it all down with.

Damn I miss good food :(