Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   A Christmas Story (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7019)

rrplasencia 12-27-2008 08:21 AM

A Christmas Story

Here's my Christmas story. I bought a large number of Amex gift cards through Simon Mall. I then give out these gift cards. People try to use gift cards but cards all have zero balance. :fl Someone who had access to all the gift card numbers (probably the guy who works for Simon Mall) used all the $$ on the 24th. I didn't hand them out until the 25th. They went on a shopping spree at Walmart of all places. Amex says there not responsible since they were gift cards even though i paid for them with my amex cards. They did suggest that i go to Walmart to dispute the charge. Simon Mall is giving me the run around. I just finished filing a police report with Miami-Dade, which included a bunch of charges they'd like to make like grand theft (yes it was that much:bh), credit card fraud, etc, etc. Careful with this scam and thanks for letting me vent. :c

ahc4353 12-27-2008 08:25 AM

Re: A Christmas Story

Damn.

:(

bvilchez 12-27-2008 08:42 AM

Just reading that Richard pisses me off. There's way to track it down you know.

You can call Amex and find out at what time the transaction was made. With time in hand go the the Walmart they were made at. The store manager should be pretty willing to help you if somehow you can prove you purchased the cards under your name (i.e. your receipt) and also see if you can get a few of the cards that you gave out as well to rectify the issue. Ask to see the video with the time and register they were used at.

It's almost doing your police work because it might take a while for the police getting around to it. Maybe you can catch the son of a ***** who did this.

Mugen910 12-27-2008 09:34 AM

That's total BS brother...I hate it when people do crap like that! Best of luck trying to get your $ back.

Biglizard1 12-27-2008 09:43 AM

That truly bites, anytime, but especially when they were gifts for other people. Some people are truly not right.

Don Fernando 12-27-2008 10:01 AM

WTF? This is crap man. Go get the SOB who did this and nail him publicly to a wall.

rrplasencia 12-27-2008 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Fernando (Post 137082)
WTF? This is crap man. Go get the SOB who did this and nail him publicly to a wall.

thought had crossed my mind:bx:hn more then once

G G 12-27-2008 11:21 AM

Hoping things work out for you on this, bro.

Beagleone 12-27-2008 11:35 PM

I read about this on some website a while ago. What thieves are doing are copying down the numbers on the back of the gift cards, then continuously calling the 800# found on the back of each card to see how much is the balance on them. Once they get a confirmed hit on a gift card, they go to town on someone else's dime. It is hard to prove, but it has been the latest trend of thief that is very popular during this time of the year.

rrplasencia 12-28-2008 12:02 AM

so far about $1,200.00, still waiting to see if the other cards were hit as well. case has been handed over to Miami Dade economic crimes division.think worst part was seeing my dads face, he took it personally and his heart can't take stress like this.

awsmith4 12-28-2008 12:04 AM

That is just bullshit, this just pisses me off. Good luck Richard. :fl:fl:fl

shilala 12-29-2008 08:31 AM

I'm thinking Amex would change their minds about "who's responsible" once they hear from a lawyer. It'd be far cheaper for them to take care of what's their responsibility than to defend a lawsuit.
You know that they have to be aware of the scam, and they're the ones who fed the scammer the info they needed to rip you off, there's gotta be some law juice in this.

Much more importantly, sorry you have to deal with this.
It'll definately raise your blood pressure.:fl

bvilchez 12-29-2008 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shilala (Post 139439)
I'm thinking Amex would change their minds about "who's responsible" once they hear from a lawyer. It'd be far cheaper for them to take care of what's their responsibility than to defend a lawsuit.
You know that they have to be aware of the scam, and they're the ones who fed the scammer the info they needed to rip you off, there's gotta be some law juice in this.

Much more importantly, sorry you have to deal with this.
It'll definately raise your blood pressure.:fl

I have to agree with Scott on this Richard. I think a scare from a lawyer MIGHT help. It's worth a shot if you know any lawyers.

mrreindeer 12-29-2008 11:08 AM

Unbelievable, but then, believable. I've heard about folks copying down gift card numbers....why it's best to pick from the back of the stack if you're buying off a rack....better yet to buy from behind the register.

This sucks though, I feel for 'ya brother. Since it was paid with a credit card, you should really be protected...I'd really press your credit card peeps.

hotreds 12-29-2008 11:21 AM

And I thought this was gonna be about the funny movie! How totally horrible! I sure hope that these people are caught, and made to pay for this crime! I agree that Walmart should help you check the tapes to get a view of these SOBs as they used the cards.

Good luck on this- more proof that there are just way too many low lifes in the USA these days.

bvilchez 12-29-2008 11:26 AM

I need to stop reading this thread because I just keep getting more and more pissed off everytime I see a new reply on here about this bullsh*t!!!!!!

For someone to have the audacity to do something like that and think they are not going to get caught just makes me want to be there when the cuffs are put on them and just laugh in their face (maybe a swing or 2 wouldn't hurt either).

rrplasencia 12-29-2008 01:10 PM

If my wife was allowed to she could do it, she works for one of the largest law firms in the country. They don't allow free lance work. Simon Mall corporate did say they would investigate but there's no way it could have been done by one of there employees :bs. i'll try a few more angles, as a last resort i have some poeple that work for me that know some people who you wouldn't want dating your daughters. They might know of some people who do this kind of $hit.

Drazzil 12-29-2008 01:47 PM

Either way I dont think you're liable for this. I would recommend disputing this through your credit card company, and if they dont play ball hire a lawyer and sue.

shilala 12-29-2008 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrplasencia (Post 139829)
as a last resort i have some poeple that work for me that know some people who you wouldn't want dating your daughters. They might know of some people who do this kind of $hit.

Hell is, crackheads and meth junkies don't care if someone takes them out. They welcome it. A good beating wouldn't even slow them down getting to the next 7-11 to get more gift card numbers.
When you think about the mentality of someone who'd do something like this, it's got to be:
A.) Someone with nothing to lose.
B.) A teenage boy.
Add to that the heaping helping of corporate greed, irresponsibility and general moral malaise that we can expect from most businesses nowadays and it's enough to make a hard working honest individual kick someone's ass just for principle. :)
At least the crackheads have an excuse for their actions. :(

hotreds 12-29-2008 03:48 PM

Scott- you sadly speak the truth, brother!