Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Today's purchases & cigars for weight loss (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=57158)

zacktisch 07-23-2012 09:07 PM

Today's purchases & cigars for weight loss

quick back story - since college i've always been a bit overweight, and grew up in a foodie family, so i love to eat. about 18 months ago, i got in a really bad car accident (hit by a drunk driver going the wrong way on the highway) and steadily put on weight while recovering.

last week, i started a medical weight loss program (ultra low calorie diet and meds), and whenever i feel hungry or crave something i can't have, i just light up a nice stick and it takes my mind off things. so far i've lost 14 lbs in the first week and feel great. and it also gives me a great excuse to load up my humidor.

in short, cigars = great for my waistline (but less great for my wallet)

on to today's purchases...

picked up at Anthony's Cigar Emporium in Tucson:
Viaje Skull & Bones MOAB
Viaje Skull & Bones WMD
El Titan De Bronze Redemption Maduro
Tatuaje Cojuno 2003
Tatuaje 7th Reserva

ordered online at nhcigars.com:
La Palina sampler (3 el diario vitolas, a babe, a pasha, and an allison)
a couple LP T52 Robustos
hammer & sickle double eagle (i admit i fell for the gimmick of the cool glass coffin, but <$20 is pretty good for this stick)

:noon

MrWolf55 07-23-2012 09:17 PM

Re: Today's purchases & cigars for weight loss

Quote:

Originally Posted by zacktisch (Post 1686271)
and whenever i feel hungry or crave something i can't have, i just light up a nice stick and it takes my mind off things.

For me, hungry, empty stomach + cigar = :pu

Congrats on finding something that is working for you though. You'll like the La Palinas...I find them to be great smokes despite the price.

oooo35980 07-23-2012 10:39 PM

Yeah I find myself eating more when I smoke alot. Or drinking sugary beverages.

zacktisch 07-23-2012 10:48 PM

i used to be that way too, but i think its the appetite suppressant meds. it's not so much that i get hungry, but i get cravings for a big steak or something like that, and a nice cigar satisfies it

zacktisch 07-23-2012 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrWolf55 (Post 1686285)
You'll like the La Palinas...I find them to be great smokes despite the price.

Really looking forward to trying this line. I've been looking for them at my local B&Ms (there are some great ones in both Austin and Tucson) so i try to support them as much as possible, but none carry the La Palina's

MrWolf55 07-24-2012 09:46 AM

Yeah they can be tricky to find. The Diario KB is probably my favorite of the line...tasty little smoke. I like them because it's refreshing to me to see a new company (I realize it was a resurrected brand) that markets their cigars as classy luxury products - not with names like Ratzilla and traffic-cone orange boxes with baseball cards in them. The luxury image of cigars is one of the original things that drew me to the hobby, and I like companies that uphold that image.

icehog3 07-24-2012 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by honyferry (Post 1687004)
That was a really nice solution to lose weight and to stop eating all the time whenever feels hungry. The pipe that you used to smoke is not really cigar and it won't comes under smoking. Along with this reading books containing interesting stories and doing some tasks instead of sitting alone with hands may also stop concentrating on eating.

So what are your favorite cigars? :rolleyes:

shibby4781 07-25-2012 02:36 PM

Hey Zack! Congrats on taking the first steps to changing your life for the better! I too have always struggled with my weight and 8 month ago after a doctor visit and some discouraging health news I knew it was time for a change. Since February 1st of this year I have lost 42lbs, taken my bad cholesterol from 155 to 93 and reduced my blood pressure from its former 140/98 to very normal levels. I also quit smoking cigarettes. Was it easy? No not at all! My wife and I love to cook, eat and drink so it was hard to change that. I hate the treadmill! I hate working out period! But if that means the difference between me living to see my not yet conceived kids grow up or not. I'll take the treadmill. Thank God she did this with me. Having a support system is the best! There are so many ups and downs but you have to persist and keep a positive mind frame. Cigars help me a lot actually in this process too. Instead of sitting in front of the TV with my hand constantly in a bag of snacks and a six pack, I go outside, turn on some tunes, have one alcoholic beverage and enjoy a stick or 2.It really helped take my mind off of food. If you need anything or want to chat please feel free to PM me. Best of luck in your journey!

milhouse 11-22-2012 07:26 AM

who's talking about steroids? great first post

milhouse 11-22-2012 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrWolf55 (Post 1686537)
Yeah they can be tricky to find. The Diario KB is probably my favorite of the line...tasty little smoke. I like them because it's refreshing to me to see a new company (I realize it was a resurrected brand) that markets their cigars as classy luxury products - not with names like Ratzilla and traffic-cone orange boxes with baseball cards in them. The luxury image of cigars is one of the original things that drew me to the hobby, and I like companies that uphold that image.

So, how is a cigar called the "Kill Bill" any different than one called a "Ratzilla". I do not follow your argument. If you were talking about Davidoff, I could understand your rationale, although I would respectully disagree with it.

I would think a cigar enthusiast would care more about the blend, the smoking experience, than about a label that gets ripped off and thrown away. :2

Either way, good luck to the OP and I wish you success on your weight loss.

Happy Thanksgiving

stephenwalty 01-23-2013 11:01 PM

El_d 03-21-2013 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zacktisch (Post 1686332)
Really looking forward to trying this line. I've been looking for them at my local B&Ms (there are some great ones in both Austin and Tucson) so i try to support them as much as possible, but none carry the La Palina's

Austin??? Which b&m do you go to......

Also good luck on the weight loss, I find myself taking my sons to the river in San Marcos and sitting back with a nice peacful Oliva V.