Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   WOW ! I should have quit cigs years ago... (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=53720)

DMK 02-24-2012 03:39 PM

WOW ! I should have quit cigs years ago...

I recently (just before Christmas) quit my 1/2 to 3/4 pack a day cig habit.
I finally just grew tired of them and the blech taste. It was pure convenience that I smoked as long as I did.
The excuse to walk away from a job going horribly wrong to go outside for a cig break kept me sane at work.
Now I take fewer breaks (I'm sure the boss is O.K. with that:rolleyes:)
and when I do I now have a cigar or a bowl.
The biggest plus is I can now TASTE things and I'm enjoying my cigars and pipe a lot more.
The best part is I really don't miss my coughing nails....:r

JenksAnejo 02-24-2012 03:41 PM

Re: WOW ! I should have quit cigs years ago...

Good for your brother! Kicking the habit is tough, but it's all worth it once you get past the intial cravings, etc. I smoked for 4 years when I was in college; however, ended up quitting when I moved back home.

Remo 02-24-2012 03:52 PM

Nice job Darryl, congrats!!

emopunker2004 02-24-2012 04:06 PM

plus more money for cigars :D

icehog3 02-24-2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMK (Post 1571171)
The biggest plus is I can now TASTE things and I'm enjoying my cigars and pipe a lot more.

I hear that is a huge benefit for the ex-cigarette smokers....very cool, Darryl, congrats as well.

DMK 02-24-2012 05:12 PM

I'm really surprised how easy it has been....
I started cigs when I was 9 yrs old... I turned 51 last week.

icehog3 02-24-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMK (Post 1571264)
I'm really surprised how easy it has been....
I started cigs when I was 9 yrs old... I turned 51 last week.

Late starter, eh Darryl?

:lr

DMK 02-24-2012 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 1571277)
Late starter, eh Darryl?

:lr

What can I say....:rolleyes: Crappy upbringing in a single parent home...

Pseudosacred 02-24-2012 05:35 PM

The worst part of my job is having to sell people cigarettes. I think they should be outlawed. I mean, they are processed to burn faster, so you have to buy more, there's fiberglass in them that cuts up your lungs and they taste awful. It's absolutely senseless to me. I hate spending 1.80 on a bottle of soda when I get gas...I couldn't imagine dropping 6 dollars. I wish everybody would quit.

Well, I'm so glad you were able to drop the habit. For that, I give you major congratulations.

Have fun with the money you save!!

MrClean 02-24-2012 05:42 PM

I quit 5 years ago, it's amazing how much you miss out on when you smoke. Congrats Darryl!

irratebass 02-24-2012 05:47 PM

I started when I was 7.....I wanted to hang out with the big boys and they asked me and my friend to get them a carton of Marlboro's we said ok....we went and got the smokes no problem (was the 70's no one carded) when we got back the head guy passed out packs to all his buds then hands me and my friend a pack and said that's for getting them for us.

I was inhaling after that 1st pack.......smoked for 20 years then quit cold turkey, because I was always sick :td

I used to miss it everyday, but cigars def cuts that craving and I enjoy it 100x's more.

MrClean 02-24-2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irratebass (Post 1571310)
I was inhaling after that 1st pack.......smoked for 20 years then quit cold turkey, because I was always sick :td

I used to miss it everyday, but cigars def cuts that craving and I enjoy it 100x's more.

I was sick a lot too and it always ended developing into a sinus infection. I haven't had a sinus infection since.

tengel78 02-24-2012 06:09 PM

Keep it up Darryl. I quit a few months ago as well. It's really tough, but the list of benefits from quiting go on and on.

irratebass 02-24-2012 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrClean (Post 1571312)
I was sick a lot too and it always ended developing into a sinus infection. I haven't had a sinus infection since.

Mine was always strep throat.....EVERY YEAR!!!

Taki 02-24-2012 06:34 PM

Congrats brother :tu

Its been 5 years or so since I kicked that problem....I do remember a few days later I could taste so much more!!!

Congrats again brother...

Sonic04GT 02-25-2012 10:21 AM

Congrats! Saved me a lot of money quitting, and they taste disgusting.

Smokin Gator 02-25-2012 10:24 AM

Congrats brother!!! May 21 will be three years for me. Haven't had one and never will again.

Subvet642 02-25-2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pseudosacred (Post 1571304)
The worst part of my job is having to sell people cigarettes. I think they should be outlawed. I mean, they are processed to burn faster, so you have to buy more, there's fiberglass in them that cuts up your lungs and they taste awful. It's absolutely senseless to me. I hate spending 1.80 on a bottle of soda when I get gas...I couldn't imagine dropping 6 dollars. I wish everybody would quit.

Well, I'm so glad you were able to drop the habit. For that, I give you major congratulations.

Have fun with the money you save!!

Wouldn't it be nice if people only had habits we approve of? :sh

Big Maduro 02-25-2012 04:58 PM

Good for you Darryl. I put down a 3 pack a day habit around four years ago. Now I smoke about 3-4 cigars a week. Like you said the taste is fantastic,with cigars and food. I can take an hour to an hour and a half and really enjoy it. Great aint it.

maconusmile 02-25-2012 05:48 PM

Good for you Darrell. going on three years for me and my wife as well. Now we are working on loosing the weight we put on when we quit.