Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Coffee Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Starbucks to sell instant coffee (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10223)

D_A 02-13-2009 12:24 PM

Starbucks to sell instant coffee

Starbucks seems to think they can solve their slipping profits by selling $1/cup instant coffee. The one thing they have going for them is that instant coffee drinkers are obviously willing to drink bad coffee:r

http://money.cnn.com/2009/02/13/news...ion=2009021312

Commander Quan 02-13-2009 01:16 PM

Re: Starbucks to sell instant coffee

Quote:

Originally Posted by D_A (Post 233528)
The one thing they have going for them is that instant coffee drinkers are obviously willing to drink bad coffee:r

So are Starbucks drinkers :D

fxpose 02-13-2009 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Commander Quan (Post 233645)
So are Starbucks drinkers :D

Absolutely. So, for me, instant coffee is most welcomed.
Besides, I go there for the free wi-fi, not their coffee....:D

ucla695 02-13-2009 01:44 PM

And they wonder why their business model is struggling…:ss

poker 02-13-2009 02:12 PM

Their coffee sucks @ss

DrDubzz 02-13-2009 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poker (Post 233750)
Their coffee sucks @ss

:tpd:

omowasu 02-16-2009 05:23 PM

Ugh... it seems like a major step down to sell instant coffee. I am not aware of any way that the fats/oils in brewed coffee can remain fresh through the instant coffee process (which is to brew the coffee and remove the water, leaving dried coffee mass)...

Unless Starbucks is actually using a superfine grind similar to Turkish coffee and nitrogen packing it? Of course, it would then be called Turkish coffee and not Via.

Instant coffee and Turkish style coffee are not "transformational", nor are they innovative. They have already been done hundreds of times over. And anyone who wants a quick Starbucks fix can always grab one of their other several portable coffee options...

groogs 02-16-2009 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poker (Post 233750)
Their coffee sucks @ss

:tpd: But my wife loves it, go figure.:confused:

King James 02-16-2009 10:59 PM

I highly doubt people that like real coffee will switch to instant and don't know that they are going to win over the foldger's drinkers. I don't think they will leave their instant coffee at home to drive and pay more for starbuck's instant coffee.

smokeyandthebandit05 02-17-2009 12:00 AM

I personally think Starbucks tastes burnt and the only way Im drinkin them is if someone else is buyin or Im desperate for a cup of coffee. Personally to me Starbucks tastes burnt and just not good, I would rather take a cup of Dunkin Donuts over Starbucks. At least they are fresher. Even better honestly is quick check with their 15 or 20 min guarantee on fresh coffee and even better I get to add my own sugar and milk so if I make a crappy cup I have noone to blame but myself for messin up

----------------
Now playing: Blake Shelton - What I Wouldn't Give
via FoxyTunes

Ace$nyper 02-17-2009 12:01 AM

And it still costs more then a good cup of coffee at home
bravo.

smokeyandthebandit05 02-17-2009 12:04 AM

EXACTLY F Starbucks!!!!!!

----------------
Now playing: Blake Shelton - She Can't Get That
via FoxyTunes

DrDubzz 02-17-2009 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokeyandthebandit05 (Post 239611)
I personally think Starbucks tastes burnt

:tpd: charbucks is awful, yet I know people who won't drink anything else

I think their tastebuds don't know how to process actual coffee flavor, only char

Hot Stuff x 02-17-2009 03:12 AM

Most of the people I know who like starbucks coffee drink it with a ton of added shite, such as cream, flavored syrup, sugar syrup, etc. , with whipped cream and sprinkles. After all that, it's doesn't really taste like coffee anymore.

tobii3 02-17-2009 05:48 AM

yeah, I know!!!

People spending 3 or 4 bucks for a cup of coffee!!!

I mean come on, my hoo-gee-wah coffee "machine" at the house only cost me $1200 and I can make a better cup using my $27 a pound green coffee beans that I roast at home in my $119 home roaster that I ground this morning in my $47 burr grinder........

:r:r:r

Cigary 02-17-2009 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokeyandthebandit05 (Post 239611)
I personally think Starbucks tastes burnt and the only way Im drinkin them is if someone else is buyin or Im desperate for a cup of coffee. Personally to me Starbucks tastes burnt and just not good, I would rather take a cup of Dunkin Donuts over Starbucks. At least they are fresher. Even better honestly is quick check with their 15 or 20 min guarantee on fresh coffee and even better I get to add my own sugar and milk so if I make a crappy cup I have noone to blame but myself for messin up

----------------
Now playing: Blake Shelton - What I Wouldn't Give
via FoxyTunes

For sure,,,it's not that I hate Starbucks coffee but rather the coffee just isn't worth the price point at which they sell. I stopped drinking their regular coffee along time ago and only drink the frappacinos on rare occasions. I don't see how people can afford to drink their coffee every single day to the tune of $4 to $5 a cup,,,that's over a $100 a month and I know of a few gourmet coffee places where that would last you over a year in amazing coffee beans.

Starbucks Instant Coffee,,,,c'mon now,,seriously!:hn

mosesbotbol 02-17-2009 07:20 AM

We should not forget that much of the world drinks instant coffee. Even in many coffee growing regions, Senka and Nescafe are the defaults if one asks for "coffee". Brewing coffee like we do may actually be the minority if looking at this from the macro bird's eye view.

There's such a huge market for instant coffee and the Starbucks; name (and hopefully decent taste) could make this product hugely successful for Starbucks.

This could be the shot-in-the-arm Starbucks needs in this economy; especially in Asian and other emerging markets.

omowasu 02-17-2009 05:37 PM

I dont drink Charbucks coffee regularly, but when I have, it has never been 4.00 or 5.00 per cup. Their regular roast of the day and staple Pikes Place (not as burnt/dark) are $1.69 for a "Grande" (medium in the small-med-large comparison).

The only items I have seen in the 4.00-5.00 range are the frappucinos, mochas, etc.

Are there seriously Starbucks around charging 4.00 for a plain old cup of coffee?

novasurf 02-17-2009 07:27 PM

There is a moderate risk in what they are doing. But I think they got it right. The global market for instant is $17 Billion. :ss

ChicagoWhiteSox 02-17-2009 08:45 PM

hahaha i will never drink there coffee