Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Good Eats (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Air fryers (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=76975)

markem 02-11-2022 03:23 PM

Air fryers

What do you think?

I keep hearing nice things about them but they aren’t being touted as a must-have anymore. Do people have fave sites for recipes / cooking instructions?

Buckeye Jack 02-11-2022 04:14 PM

Re: Air fryers

We like ours...never thought I would. My company bought every employee, for the holidays, a "Ninja Foodi 5-in-1 Indoor Grill with Air Fryer, Roast, Bake & Dehydrate" (copied and pasted lol).

I was probably never going to buy an air fryer...but the fact that I have a free one now....yeah, I would probably buy another if it broke.

bruceolee 02-11-2022 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckeye Jack (Post 2230080)
We like ours...never thought I would. My company bought every employee, for the holidays, a "Ninja Foodi 5-in-1 Indoor Grill with Air Fryer, Roast, Bake & Dehydrate" (copied and pasted lol).

I was probably never going to buy an air fryer...but the fact that I have a free one now....yeah, I would probably buy another if it broke.

I've got the same one and i like it. I make wings a lot in them instead of dragging out the deep fryer every super bowl and the hassle it is too clean it up afterwards. I've made fish, chicken and steaks in that thing and it cooks everything really well. I like air fryers but it's not perfect but a heck of a lot easier than a deep fryer for sure. Just my 2 cents. God bless you!

also clean up is a BREEZE in them

bonjing 02-11-2022 05:20 PM

I like my ninja air fryer. Surprisingly good steaks done with it and the random fish is all we use it for. I did breakfast sausage in it but I don’t think I’ll do that again pretty smoky. We tried lumpia in it they cooked but we’re a bit pale. It’s a big contraption and is kind of a pain with the short cord but it does get it’s occasional use.

Porch Dweller 02-11-2022 08:44 PM

We got a new oven last October that has an air fryer option. I really like doing potato wedges in it. I've only done wings in it once but they turned out well, just need to work on minimizing the smoke (I've read that putting some parchment paper down helps but haven't tried it yet).

I did a small prime rib for New Year's in the oven in convection mode under low heat until it hit 115F, then blasted it in air fryer mode for a few minutes at 450F to develop a crust on the outside. It turned out great.

gravel 02-11-2022 10:37 PM

We bought a 6qt Instapot Vortex from Walmart in the summer of 2020. With two teenagers, using this to make a quick batch of fries or tater tots has been great. We also use it to make bacon and have made burgers, steak, chicken, and more in it. I wouldn’t say it’s a must have, but it has been super helpful especially when making dinner or quick snacks for the kids.

Black Coral 02-11-2022 11:30 PM

But then you can’t use all that oil!!!! Or foil!! Can’t remember which one

AdamJoshua 02-12-2022 06:03 AM

So is there actually a noticeable difference between that and an oven?

Ashcan Bill 02-12-2022 11:19 AM

We had one and I honestly wasn't all that impressed. For things you'd ordinarily deep fry it was good as you don't have to mess with the oil. But I don't have much need for deep frying, and anything else I can easily broil/bake/grill. We ended up giving it away to reclaim the counter space.

Wharf Rat 02-12-2022 02:48 PM

I’ve got the Ninja combo unit. It’s really a toaster oven with a super convection mode. So, you can bake a frozen pizza or make nice wings without heating up the big oven. I like it.

jledou 02-14-2022 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamJoshua (Post 2230096)

For a lot of things, especially for small batches, it will crisp a lot better and faster compared to an oven that needs to heat up.

There are still some things that are better to use the oven for. It is a little trial and error to see what is easier and better.

As mentioned, our kids love it to throw in a few chicken nuggets and some fries or tots to make an easy meal for themselves.

Our personal favorite, we peal and cube sweet potatoes, mix them in a little olive oil, salt and pepper and throw them in.

DMK 02-14-2022 03:08 PM

We use ours all the time. The Mrs is campaigning for a larger one......

bruceolee 02-14-2022 06:29 PM

The best thing I've used our air fryer for is reheating fried foods. It reheats it almost perfectly. My ninja foodi XL grill cooks alot of stuff but man does it reheat soggy old French fries like brand new

The camaro show 02-14-2022 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamJoshua (Post 2230096)

Huge difference believe it or not. My parents have one it’s some big well known chiefs, I forget the name maybe starts with an E. They probably use it 4x a week for stuff.

physiognomy 02-16-2022 09:00 PM

I’m surprised how much we like/use ours. Much better than heating up the oven for smaller dishes.

Some good recipes here - https://cosori.com/recipes

Niterider56 03-07-2022 01:38 PM

I use mine for everything. Cooked sea bass last night for fish taco's and were they awesome. Have not found anything I can't cook in it.

bonjing 03-10-2022 09:26 AM

Did you get one, Mark?

markem 03-10-2022 09:28 AM

No, still not convinced.

bruceolee 03-10-2022 09:55 AM

Mark, Just go to a goodwill and buy a used one to test it out and see if it's for you. You might enjoy it more than you realize. God bless you brother!