Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Health and Fitness (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   School me on supplements (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=47196)

Chainsaw13 07-06-2011 08:26 AM

School me on supplements

Now that I've started doing the Power 90 workout program, I'm beginning to wonder if I should be taking supplements. I know in the other workout threads some of you take them. Do you find they help? Anyone experience side effects? Just really looking for opinions on whether they're really necessary.

area51 07-06-2011 08:49 AM

Re: School me on supplements

Honestly, Protein, creatine, and a pre workout are all you need. I was taking everything under the sun and I as well as some others can tell you 95% of it is pure crap. If you want to take supplements go for it but just keep that in mind.

kaisersozei 07-07-2011 10:22 AM

My answer would depend on: 1) your goals, 2) your typical dietary plan, and 3) your age.

I never used any supplements until I got a bit older (past 40 ;)) and found that my body wasn't producing what I wanted it to in order to keep up with the intensity of my workouts. Plus, I was interested in adding muscle, so I needed more protein but didn't want to eat an entire chicken every day.

I've settled on:
  1. a preworkout drink that contains caffeine anhydrous + amino acids + nitric oxide (Body Rush); side effects can include slight bowel issues, light-headedness & increased BP, but none of those are that significant for me
  2. a workout/recovery drink + BCAAs (Endurox R4 + GNC brand BCAA); no real side effects
  3. a protein mix for strength training days (GNC Amp Wheybolic Extreme 60); no real side effects
  4. a meal supplement protein blend (Dymatize Elite); no real side effects.

I also take a multivitamin + fish oil, but I would do that without working out anyway.

Just my :2, hope this helps

Chainsaw13 07-07-2011 10:41 AM

Thanks for the info Gerard. I was just doing some online reading about the different types of basic supplements which helped me understand what you're taking.

forgop 07-07-2011 01:12 PM

If your dietary intake is sufficient, you really don't need supplements. Most likely you might take the basics like a multivitamin and another for omega 3/6/9 fatty acids.

I honestly haven't researched supplements in 10+ years, but I think creatine (found in meat) is a good one. At that time, EAS was one of the leading edge companies, but so much has changed over the years that I wouldn't know where to really begin.

The thing you have to really ask yourself before starting any supplements is determining what your goals are, what methods you'll use in terms of working out (P90, weights, cardio, etc), and what type of diet you'll have in order to determine exactly what will be of benefit. You'll find a LOT of the products on the market today are pure crap as they're not regulated by the FDA and can pretty much make whatever claim they want.

Blak Smyth 07-07-2011 01:21 PM

Ximo!!!!

Coach Deg 07-07-2011 01:30 PM

Like Gerard said. Your goals, health, and lifestyle should determine what you take.

Research any supplements and the companies you take!!!!! Not regulated and have been know to include extra stuff or not include what they are saying.

Creatine is a great supplement if you do not do a lot of cardio or work in the heat. Dehydration can be a side effect and it will lead to pulled muscles.

Last I tell all the high school kids I work with change their diet supplements are not necessary. But if they want supplements I recommend to their parents to research ADVOCARE supplements. No I do not sell or distribute them. I feel it would be a conflict of what I teach. Advocare is tested and approved by the NCAA and IOC. If they pass those 2 tests they have to be good.

Good luck!

Chainsaw13 07-07-2011 04:25 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I was only interested as Tony Horton keeps talking about them in the DVD's, obviously to sell them and make more money. But in the pumping iron thread I've seen where people say they take them. For now, especially since I'm just starting, I don't plan on taking any. My diet is really quite good, lots of veggies, fruit, protein and lowish in carbs. I've lost ~50lbs so far, almost 80lbs overall (2.5 years). My goal isn't to get huge, but have some nice definition. I'm a week into the program and already seeing results and not sore the next day. Even after working outside Tuesday all day I wasn't sore Wednesday.

Once I progress from Power 90 to P90x I'll reevaluate if I need supplements.

hammondc 07-18-2011 08:09 AM

I am doing an Insanity/P90X hybrid and only do a protein shake as a postworkout. 30 grams Optimum Gold Standard with 1/2 cup milk, water, a banana, some oats, a dollop of peanut butter and whatever fruit is around. Everything you need for recover and refuel is in that shake.

Chainsaw13 08-09-2011 08:01 PM

I started doing protein shakes as a post workout drink. It's helping. 1 scoop Optimum Nutrition whey protein, 5g of OM creatine, 1 cup skim milk, 1/2c water. Their Double Rich Chocolate tastes really good. I ordered some of their Extreme Milk Chocolate today also.

Anyone have any first hand experience with COQ10? A friend was mentioning that as something else I should look into. Been doing some online reading and looks like it might not be a bad idea to take as you get older.

Angry_Pirate 08-10-2011 01:56 AM

I worked in a supplement store and have tried a lot of them. If your looking for a muscle pump N02 by MRI is very good you will notice more strength and more blood flow to your muscles from the vaso-dialator in a coupe of days of using it. GNC has a N02 powder that is much cheaper then the MRI pills (which are horse pills). I have been using it and am happy with the results.