Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Smoking In Your Vehicle (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=43479)

Volusianator 03-10-2011 12:32 PM

Smoking In Your Vehicle

I love to smoke in my truck, on the way to/from work, road trips, whatever. One thing I notice though is that cigars never burn as well when I'm driving. I've tried every setting I can think of on my heater/air conditioner, but I think there's some kind of airflow that just makes my cigars burn poorly in the truck. The only way I can describe it is that the ash gets like "petrified" while I'm in the truck, meaning the center gets really hard, kind of like the middle of an old Butterfinger candy bar. Instead of the ash coming off straight across as it usually does inside, it comes off in a cone shape. Anybody else have this, or better yet figured out a cure? :confused:

NCRadioMan 03-10-2011 12:33 PM

Re: Smoking In Your Vehicle

You don't realize it but you are smoking faster.

Skywalker 03-10-2011 12:36 PM

I always have the window down, so I've noticed mine burn a little fast than usual!:2

Bill86 03-10-2011 12:39 PM

I use to smoke in my old car and I found it's mostly the window and AC causing this. I stopped smoking in my cars just because I hated the f**ked up burn and touching them up. Not to mention ash all over the place.

kydsid 03-10-2011 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCRadioMan (Post 1201179)

this. i use music to slow me down. three puffs per song.
Posted via Mobile Device

Volusianator 03-10-2011 12:55 PM

As far as speed smoking, that's me in a nutshell to begin with even indoors. I truly don't think this is a smoking fast thing as much as it is with some kind of airflow. I deal with the irregular burns as I truly do enjoy a smoke on the way to/from work.

KenyanSandBoa 03-10-2011 02:04 PM

I always have the same issue. I've tried redirecting the vents, switching hands, opening the back windows, and it seems no matter what I try I can never get a good burn in my truck.

I tend to stick with the smaller (Tat Petite Cazadore) type smokes just so I'm not as concentrated on it as much and I don't kill myself and my passengers while I'm trying to touch up.

SNKBYT 03-10-2011 02:11 PM

I find that "rolling" the cigar after a few puffs helps keep the burn even (mostly)

OLS 03-10-2011 02:17 PM

It is also with MUCH research that I have found this out, and now I pass it on to you for free.
Light your cigar and set your climate control to put out air at the feet only. Crack the window
slightly and smoke away. It is the best you're going to get. It creates positive pressure from
bottom to top helping the burn, helping air out the smoke and keeping the overall noise and breeze
to the bare minimum.
Your welcome.

icehog3 03-10-2011 02:18 PM

My burns often seem a little off in the truck, but nothing outrageous, Wade. Might call for a couple extra touch ups, which can be a pain at 65MPH though.

Devanmc 03-10-2011 02:26 PM

I have to agree, here i have a messed up burn when i smoke and touch ups at 70+mph tend to be alittle dangerous. i think its just the increased air flow :sh

kickerb 03-10-2011 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kydsid (Post 1201203)
this. i use music to slow me down. three puffs per song.
Posted via Mobile Device

hmmm, but what about when `...And Justice for All` comes on? :sh

M1903A1 03-10-2011 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCRadioMan (Post 1201179)

I've noticed that myself...I think it's because I'm subconsciously trying to make sure I finish my cigar by the end of my trip.

kydsid 03-10-2011 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kickerb (Post 1201335)
hmmm, but what about when `...And Justice for All` comes on? :sh

and justic isn't as bad as shine on you crazy diamond, :r
Posted via Mobile Device

Volusianator 03-10-2011 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLS (Post 1201316)
It is also with MUCH research that I have found this out, and now I pass it on to you for free.
Light your cigar and set your climate control to put out air at the feet only. Crack the window
slightly and smoke away. It is the best you're going to get. It creates positive pressure from
bottom to top helping the burn, helping air out the smoke and keeping the overall noise and breeze
to the bare minimum.
Your welcome.

That's EXACTLY what I do, 1" crack in the window and air set to feet only, at least it draws out the smoke best that way. I have a Ford Expedition, not that it should really matter.

HollywoodQue 03-10-2011 02:44 PM

When I smoke in my car, I never have that problem...maybe because I'm parked...LOL

kickerb 03-10-2011 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kydsid (Post 1201340)
Posted via Mobile Device

so very true :tu

Volusianator 03-10-2011 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kydsid (Post 1201340)
Posted via Mobile Device

OK, that must be code or something, cause I have no clue what you just said!

kickerb 03-10-2011 03:04 PM

Pink Floyd - Shine On You Crazy Diamond, its a great track, and he was comparing it to ...and justice for all, just short hand ;)

TheLostGringo 03-10-2011 03:06 PM

I love to smoke in my truck and find that it is one of my most enjoyable times. I crack or open all the way the rear window and as long as I am ashing in the Bobken as opposed to hanging it out the window I never have burn problems.