Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Island (The other ones) Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   LONSDALE love! (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=76241)

borndead1 12-24-2020 09:50 PM

LONSDALE love!

OK, so the lancero thread is still going strong after quite a while, so let's start a thread for the lancero's slightly fatter cousin...the LONSDALE. :banger

Tonight, I smoked a Siboney Reserve lonsdale. This is a Famous Smoke Shop exclusive line made by Casa Fernandez.

Great smoke. Medium 'strength' throughout, with a nice baking spice flavor present through most of the cigar. A bit of a crooked burn that required several touch ups, but all in all a good cigar. And at the auction price of around $5/stick with shipping and taxes, the Siboney Reserve lonsdale is a winner. :ss

Wharf Rat 12-25-2020 07:20 AM

Re: LONSDALE love!

I like the SR lonsdale, too!

I’ve got a long relationship with the Oliva Connecticut Reserve lonsdale. It’s sorta a Sunday afternoon tradition with me. A little mellower than the O, which is regular rotation for me.

icehog3 12-25-2020 09:34 AM

I love lonsdales. Unfortunately as a 90%+ Cuban smoker, the regular production choices have become super limited in the last decade+. :mad:

I do like some of Caldwell's lonsdales, and a few other NC ones as well.

That being said, think I may smoke a Ramon Allones 898 for Xmas.

RevSmoke 12-25-2020 02:41 PM

Oliva Connecticut lonsdale is very good.

Chainsaw13 12-25-2020 05:14 PM

Been working my way thru a box of Herrera Esteli Miami lonsdales.

Buckeye Jack 12-26-2020 07:42 AM

H.Upmann Lonsdale.....I have two (I think) left from 97.......beautiful stick

icehog3 12-26-2020 08:57 AM

My last RA 898.... another lonsdale box bites the dust.

https://i.imgur.com/NgkRTir.jpg

Buckeye Jack 12-26-2020 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 2210449)

A tear just ran down my face......

icehog3 12-26-2020 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckeye Jack (Post 2210465)
A tear just ran down my face......

Ain't it the truth, Jack.... :(

sigsauer 12-26-2020 06:18 PM

icehog3 thats a beautiful cigar

icehog3 12-26-2020 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sigsauer (Post 2210479)
icehog3 thats a beautiful cigar

Thanks Tom, She's just a memory now....

borndead1 12-26-2020 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 2210449)

Damn...that's one of those pictures that is both beautiful and sad. Hope it was an epic smoke.

borndead1 12-26-2020 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevSmoke (Post 2210422)
Oliva Connecticut lonsdale is very good.

They are indeed a nice smoke, and can be had for under $4/stick on both C-Bid and Cigar Auctioneer.

icehog3 12-28-2020 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borndead1 (Post 2210483)
Damn...that's one of those pictures that is both beautiful and sad. Hope it was an epic smoke.

Thanks Mark, it was amazing.

borndead1 01-08-2021 08:17 PM

Guardian Of The Farm Apollo Seleccion De Warped Natural

This 6 X 44 dandy is a nice smoke indeed. Rich and medium 'strength' with that recognizable flavor that I call Nicaraguan Spice. Long finish that lingers on the palate between draws. Mellows a little at around the halfway point and the flavor profile changes. Dominant flavors are still the same, but the nose exhale has taken on a woodsy flavor, with a nice anise flavor on the finish.

borndead1 01-27-2021 08:52 PM

Mucielago Rabito (6.5" X 46)

Having tried and enjoyed the Murcielago toro and lancero, I was pleasantly surprised to find a lonsdale size on the Famous auction site. Snagged a fiver and have had one nekkid and in the low RH humi for a couple of months now.

A bit less bite in the nostrils than the lancero, more prominent coconut flavors than either the lancero or toro. Solid medium "strength" in the first half, kicks it up a notch around halfway.

Like the other sizes I've tried, no major twists and turns in this cigar. But it was very enjoyable. :ss

Snook 01-28-2021 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckeye Jack (Post 2210440)
H.Upmann Lonsdale.....I have two (I think) left from 97.......beautiful stick

I have a handful left from a '00 box. Unfortunately most have suffered from tight draws. But when the draw is just right, it's an amazing smoke with several flavor transitions.

borndead1 04-29-2021 08:45 PM

Puros Huerfanos by Drew Estate lonsdale (6.5" X 44)

This is a 10-pack bundle cigar that I believe is a Famous exclusive.

Good construction. I have very rarely encountered a DE cigar with poor construction. Even La Vieja Habana, their short filler line, have always been well constructed in my experience.

Nice floral/tobacco smell to the wrapper. Good draw. Again, I have very rarely had a DE cigar with any type of construction issues.

First 1/3...pleasant but fairly typical medium-bodied, Habano-wrapped Nicaraguan cigar flavors. The floral aroma from the wrapper does start to come in after the first few draws, though. A few minor burn corrections. The aroma coming from the foot is woodsy.

Second 1/3...similar flavors and aromas are still dominant, but a nice anise flavor has crept into the finish. Honestly I'm digging this cigar so far. Burn has straightened out.

Last 1/3...woodsy flavor has become the dominant flavor through the nose, with the anise still in the background.

Toward the end...woodsy flavor is still dominant, but the finish has gotten a bit harsh (ammonia...y'all know that flavor). I let 'er die around 1.5".

Final thoughts...this was pretty damn good for a $3 bundle cigar. I can see myself buying 10+ bundles of these things and just burying them in the humidor.

Wharf Rat 04-30-2021 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borndead1 (Post 2217425)
Puros Huerfanos by Drew Estate lonsdale (6.5" X 44)

This is a 10-pack bundle cigar that I believe is a Famous exclusive.

Final thoughts...this was pretty damn good for a $3 bundle cigar. I can see myself buying 10+ bundles of these things and just burying them in the humidor.

I had some of these when they were $5 or $6 each and thought I’d rather spend my money another way. At the $3 sale price, they’re a great deal.

borndead1 05-19-2021 08:02 PM

Room 101 Farce lonsdale (6.5" x 42)

Blech. Didn't even make it 1/2 inch into this turd. Lousy draw, heavy chemical aftertaste right away.