Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Island (The other ones) Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Ashton ESG (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=17036)

Adriftpanda 06-15-2009 05:14 PM

Ashton ESG

It's a nice day out and I figured I needed to get out of the house, so instead of running errands, I ended up at my local B&M. Here is my story...

I didn't know what to grab so I just grabbed whatever was near me, and it happened to be the Ashton ESG Estate Sun Grown.

Appearance
This is is beaut. from the wrapper to the label. Had little veins, very smooth looking stick, with light oily wrapper. After I decided to punch the thing, I did took a pre-light draw... this is going to be a good smoke.

The smoke

After lighting this beaut up, I found this stick to be a bit more mellow and a hint of cream to it. I didn't find it to be as peppery/spicy as I thought. After smoking the first half of this stick, I detected a leathery taste, something that I expected from this stick. Toward the half way mark on this stick, I was surprisingly hit with many flavors. I'm getting flavors such as: nuts, cinnamon, and a little pepper. What a great blend! The complexity of this stick is something to smoke for, though it's turning to be a bit on the mild-med bodied, something I'm not use to.

Conclusion

Even though this smoke is suppose to be their top of the line cigar, I thought the VSG is just as equally the same. If you are looking to smoke something that will knock you off your feet, this is not the stick for you. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed this cigar and I'd smoke it again but this is a little out of the norm for me to smoke something mild-med. For the price, you can find something else either just as good or better. Hope you enjoyed this review. Cheers.

http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/t...4/photo6-1.jpg

dubnick 06-15-2009 05:17 PM

Re: Ashton ESG

Very nice pics... and a great review!!!

kelmac07 06-15-2009 05:22 PM

Nice pic and great review.

BradNC 06-15-2009 05:55 PM

Which B&M did you go to?

Scottw 06-15-2009 05:59 PM

nice review and a great stick but for half the price I'll grab the VSG anyday.

DoctaJ 06-15-2009 06:10 PM

I have always wondered about this cigar as well. I smoked my 1st VSG about a month ago and loved it. I really couldn't see a cigar that was about $10 more from the same company being that much better (considering the price point of the VSG already) and it seems that this may be the case. Thx for the review and pictures! :D

Adriftpanda 06-15-2009 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottw (Post 424822)
nice review and a great stick but for half the price I'll grab the VSG anyday.

Yeah I agree, but nothing wrong with trying the ESG out... but yeah I do agree with you on going with the VSG

Adriftpanda 06-15-2009 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BradSacramento (Post 424815)
Which B&M did you go to?

I was at Tobacco Republic out in Loomis. Which one do you usually go to?

BUCASmoker 06-15-2009 08:23 PM

When this cigar came out, I was obsessed with getting my hands on one. I went to 3 different B&Ms and couldnt get a hold of one for the life of me. Then I kind of gave up cigar smoking for a while and never got a chance to try one.

I'll have to go pick one up (now that they're not so rare). Thanks for the review.

Azpostal 06-16-2009 02:09 AM

Thanks for the review.

darkninja67 06-16-2009 08:29 AM

Nice review. I had one ESG so far and absolutely loved it. The flavor did it for me. I need to revisit the VSG soon to see how they stack up.

DrDubzz 06-16-2009 10:08 AM

this is one of my favorite cigars, but yeah, the price point is a bit high

Wanger 06-16-2009 10:55 AM

Bought a box of the OR churchills when they first came out and split them with another CA member. I still have a few left, and may have to revisit them when I have the time to devote to one. :D

ade06 06-16-2009 10:58 AM

I had a churchill recently and enjoyed it very much. It was not as strong as I expected, but it was very tasty and flavorful!

Pat1075 06-16-2009 11:19 AM

I'm a big fan of these. especially the churchill.

NickyTeen 06-16-2009 11:34 AM

Smoked one of these recently that I received in a NC MAW/PIF from hotreds. Really enjoyed it .( Thanks Hugh :tu) As Huy said not a strong cigar but great flavors and nice complexity. By the way Huy, thanks for the review!:tu

Wanger 06-16-2009 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickyTeen (Post 426079)
Smoked one of these recently that I received in a NC MAW/PIF from hotreds. Really enjoyed it .( Thanks Hugh :tu) As Huy said not a strong cigar but great flavors and nice complexity. By the way Huy, thanks for the review!:tu

That's actually surprising as they had been given the nickname the Velvet Hammer. So smooth you don't realize how strong they are until you stand up.

BradNC 06-16-2009 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adriftpanda (Post 425054)
I was at Tobacco Republic out in Loomis. Which one do you usually go to?

I haven't been to any yet actually. I've heard good things about TR.

Brad

NickyTeen 06-16-2009 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wanger (Post 426132)
That's actually surprising as they had been given the nickname the Velvet Hammer. So smooth you don't realize how strong they are until you stand up.

Definately smooth, but the hammer did not make an appearance.

scooter 06-16-2009 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BradSacramento (Post 426454)
I haven't been to any yet actually. I've heard good things about TR.

Brad

They have events there just about every weekend. Lots of people show up.:D