Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Golf: What irons to buy? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=54701)

RevSmoke 03-31-2012 05:14 PM

Golf: What irons to buy?

Here's my dilemna. I have a set of Lynx Predator irons (circa 1970s). They were great irons in the day, but...

I'd like to move into the 21st Century and get some new (to me) irons. I haven't done much golfing since graduating from college, maybe a half dozen times a summer. But, I used to be a decent golfer and would like to get back into it, especially since my oldest is on the golf team.

I also realize that since I am not the golfer I was, and am now a good 5-10 years older :r that I might need clubs that are a bit more forgiving.

So, I need some new irons. But, I don't know much about what companies are good, which ones mediocre, and which ones stink. So, I'm asking for your help. Guide me in the right direction.

I need a new set of irons

My problem is that I'd like to keep them under $250 (or even less [or much less] if possible). They don't need to be new, I don't have a problem using the casts off of others if they're decent.

So, I await your guidance.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

Ismith75 03-31-2012 05:31 PM

Re: Golf: What irons to buy?

Callaway Diablo Edges, Taylormade Racs, Ping G Series, Cobra S (3?) I have found to be very playable. You should be able to get all of these for close to that price used, check you local golf galaxy, smith, etc. GOOD LUCK :tu

Chainsaw13 03-31-2012 05:52 PM

Todd, do you have any type of golf warehouse in you area? Best bet would be to go hit some first to see what feels good to you before just blindly buying a set. I don't know if they can be had used in your price range, but besides the makes Ian listed, Nike and Titleist make some nice sets. Chech out rockbottomgolf.com for last years sets at good prices.

Chainsaw13 03-31-2012 05:53 PM

Heres a decent set of Nikes for $270

http://www.rockbottomgolf.com/nike-g...set-steel.html

shilala 03-31-2012 06:56 PM

Craigslist is your friend, brother. I found a wicked awesome set of clubs last year and paid 1/4 of what they would have been new. They're in perfect shape and everything.
Golf guys chase the best and latest just like cigar fanatics, but they never get much back out of their clubs from what I found.

MarkinAZ 03-31-2012 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevSmoke (Post 1605106)
Here's my dilemna. I have a set of Lynx Predator irons (circa 1970s). They were great irons in the day, but...

Todd, one of the best things you can do for yourself is to get fitted for some irons. The hybrids, 3W, and Driver will follow suit.

As mentioned above, if you do have a golf type warehouse retail store around or nearby, some of these places do carry used irons and on consignment, and you may be able to have a set of these used irons fitted to your particular swing style and speed.

I have a set of KZG irons/hybrids and SMT driver myself, but it was only after having them fitted to my swing.

Mizunos, Wilsons, Cobras. There's a lot of good irons out there and there should be some used "brand names" with your name on them. But, get fitted first and you'll see a big difference in how you hit the ball.

And, don't forget to put a crowbar in your wallet and take a set of lessons with your fitted irons. You'll be glad you did:tu

RevSmoke 03-31-2012 10:20 PM

What about Adams Golf RPM or A4? I could get those new for $199

MarkinAZ 03-31-2012 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevSmoke (Post 1605332)
What about Adams Golf RPM or A4? I could get those new for $199

Todd, and here's a little web site to help you research irons of different brand names. Research never hurts:tu

http://www.mygolfclubreviews.com/index.php

DaBear 03-31-2012 10:37 PM

I like my Nike CPRs that I've had for goin on 7 years now. Great clubs, very forgiving(once accidentally pulled my 9 instead of my 5 on a 150 par 3 and still caught green from skullin it so bad :r )

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Nike-CPR-Iro...lub-/45082023#

But as others have said, go around and find a few places with trial clubs and tinker around with em, what I may like you may hate, just like cigars.

14holestogie 04-01-2012 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shilala (Post 1605176)
Craigslist is your friend, brother. I found a wicked awesome set of clubs last year and paid 1/4 of what they would have been new. They're in perfect shape and everything.
Golf guys chase the best and latest just like cigar fanatics, but they never get much back out of their clubs from what I found.

Just checked Green Bay list. Lots of stuff to choose from in your price range. Callaway X-20's caught my eye in my short scan.

shilala 04-01-2012 06:54 AM

I had to drive a bit for mine, a little more than an hour out into Amish country. Weeze and I had a great time, stopped for dinner and messed around along the way.
The guys here pretty much picked them out for me. There was so much to pick from, all I really had any input on was the bag. :)

RevSmoke 04-02-2012 10:47 AM

Looked at a few clubs on Craig's list, sent a couple e-mails, but haven't heard anything back yet. If it doesn't happen today, this week is Holy Week, and I doubt it will happen later. I have a set of Cobra FPs that a guy wants $175 for, but I haven't heard from him yet. We'll see. Those sound like the best ones for me at this point.

Want to get out on the course today with Tim (14holestogie), will use the old clubs, we'll see what we'll see.

I figure maybe something will happen next week, but...

Hey, nobody here has something they want to sell, do they/you?

RevSmoke 04-07-2012 02:14 PM

OK, had to run to Appleton, so I stopped in at Play It Again Sports. I got a set of Walter Hagen MS2 Irons - 3,4,5 are hybrids 6-PW are regular irons and only paid $59.99. I have a week to see if I like them.

I'll hopefully try them out later this week.

Cenookie 04-07-2012 05:26 PM

Check out Callaway Pre Owned, got a set of Muizono (not sure of the spelling) for $200 that were in near perfect condition. I've owned Callaway's, and imho these are the best irons by far.