Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   is the band important for authenticity? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=70120)

pullins10 08-22-2015 01:26 PM

is the band important for authenticity?

had a buddy pass on a MC #2 to me today from 2014; however, it did not have the new band (with gold running in between in). Everything else looked great about the stick. Trying to figure out if its a CC worth aging. You ever get any #2's that were authentic but the band was from previous year.

any thoughts?

The Poet 08-22-2015 01:45 PM

Re: is the band important for authenticity?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pullins10 (Post 2050157)

any thoughts?

Though talented, successful, and influential, The Band was not authentic, with the likely exception of Levon Helm.

pnoon 08-22-2015 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pullins10 (Post 2050157)
had a buddy pass on a MC #2 to me today from 2014; however, it did not have the new band (with gold running in between in). Everything else looked great about the stick. Trying to figure out if its a CC worth aging. You ever get any #2's that were authentic but the band was from previous year.

any thoughts?

this happens with many Cuban cigars - not just Monte 2s.

shilala 08-22-2015 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Poet (Post 2050161)
Though talented, successful, and influential, The Band was not authentic, with the likely exception of Levon Helm.

Still made it to the Canadian and US music HOF's, for what that's worth.
I'd rather have some spaghetti and a Monte.

dave 08-24-2015 08:25 AM

Smoke it. If you like it, buy yourself a box. Better yet, buy two. Then we can talk about aging one of them.

jjirons69 08-24-2015 08:29 AM

I agree with Dave, smoke it and see for yourself. If it was fake and you liked it, you'll like the real ones in the box even better!

Cuba has been know to mess up bands and boxes from time to time.

pektel 08-24-2015 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Poet (Post 2050161)

Funny you mention that, I watched The Last Waltz again last night. My girlfriend had never seen it before, so I couldn't NOT watch it with her.

To answer the OP, I agree with the rest. The cigar band itself is not enough for me to raise a red flag. They like to use up leftover bands before the new ones start getting used. Smoke it and see from there. :tu

AdamJoshua 08-24-2015 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjirons69 (Post 2050358)
I agree with Dave, send it to Adam to smoke and he'll tell you if it's any good.

Also just because a new band comes out doesn't mean all previously banded boxes just vanish.