Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Miss-Used Cigar Term! STOGIE? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=72266)

Stinky 11-20-2016 10:39 PM

Miss-Used Cigar Term! STOGIE?

The cigar term, Stogie, has a specific definition. Stogie (or Stogy) is the American nickname for a long, skinny, UN-pressed, cheap cigar that was made in Conestoga, Pennsylvania, the center of native-leaf production in the early nineteenth century. Originally invented about 1826 by a tobacco merchant named George W. Black in Washington, Pennsylvania.

One popular myth says that it was so named because drivers of Conestoga wagons crossing the plains typically smoked them, and they were thought to resemble the spokes on a Conestoga wagon wheel. Today, "Stogie" is a somewhat derogatory term for a cheap cigar.

Last week I found an article online that was written by a self proclaimed cigar person to help new cigar smokers. Not only did the article repeatedly refer to Stogie(s) but the writing style and language was difficult to understand! LINK Please read it for yourself. I'd like to hear your opinion.

IMHO: Calling a premium cigar 'a Stogie' is inappropriate for a knowledgeable cigar enthusiast. I also avoid the term "stick" as an alternate for the word Cigar.

But, that's just my opinion because . . . I'm Stinky!

pnoon 11-20-2016 11:11 PM

Re: Miss-Used Cigar Term! STOGIE?

What about stogies that are ISOMs?

Wharf Rat 11-21-2016 03:40 AM

Next, some guy will start throwing his stogie butts in a bowl and call it an ashtray. I mean, come on, everybody knows trays are flat!

nutcracker 11-21-2016 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinky (Post 2107734)

IMHO: Calling a premium cigar 'a Stogie' is inappropriate for a knowledgeable cigar enthusiast. I also avoid the term "stick" as an alternate for the word Cigar.

But, that's just my opinion because . . . I'm Stinky!

That's pretty cool - thanks Stinky! I guess come people use Stogie like a term of endearment - personally I would paraphrase, that a good cigar is a smoke!

-(P

CigarNut 11-21-2016 05:27 AM

I've always used "stogie" to refer to the nub that's left after I'm done smoking a cigar...

T.G 11-21-2016 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnoon (Post 2107736)
What about stogies that are ISOMs?

Those are sticks.

Sheez. You should know that.

dave 11-21-2016 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinky (Post 2107734)

I agree 100% I have always cringed at the term. In fact, as much as I love the movie, Wedding Crashers (and watch it often), I almost dread the part where Owen Wilson's character replies to Secretary Cleary's offer of a cigar with "Stogies!"

Now....on the other hand, I do occasionally use the term 'sticks'....but, for no clear reason, usually in the plural...rarely to discuss a specific cigar.

icehog3 11-21-2016 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CigarNut (Post 2107744)
I've always used "stogie" to refer to the nub that's left after I'm done smoking a cigar...

I call those "stinkies". ;) :r

pnoon 11-21-2016 12:20 PM

Miss-used is misused.

Just sayin'

Weelok 11-21-2016 01:39 PM

I always assumed "Stogie" was an East Coast colloquism as I generally don't hear that word on the Left Coast.

Porch Dweller 11-21-2016 01:40 PM

Sticks, smokes, stogies, cigars...I use them all interchangeably. If I've inadvertently offended someone by doing so...well, that doesn't bother me at all. :D

Steve 11-21-2016 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porch Dweller (Post 2107787)
Sticks, smokes, stogies, cigars...I use them all interchangeably. If I've inadvertently offended someone by doing so...well, that doesn't bother me at all. :D

:tu:tu

Political correctness creeping into the cigar world now... please, say it isn't so. SMH.

I'll keep to the creed; "smoke what you like, like what you smoke" and add, "call 'em what you want".

My $.02.

markem 11-21-2016 02:10 PM

I think that anyone who has so much time on their hands to nitpick about out-of-date terms for stogies should get a job as a greeter at Walmart.

Language is dynamic. Terms take on new meanings. Being stuck in the past is just that.

icehog3 11-21-2016 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve (Post 2107788)
:tu:tu

Political correctness creeping into the cigar world now... please, say it isn't so. SMH.

Suck My Humidor? :D

dave 11-21-2016 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markem (Post 2107790)
I think that anyone who has so much time on their hands to nitpick about out-of-date terms for stogies should get a job as a greeter at Walmart.

Language is dynamic. Terms take on new meanings. Being stuck in the past is just that.

I disagree. I think language is important. Dynamic, of course, but understanding nuances and perceptions is significant. At least, it can be if one wants to communicate. I'm not sure how an interest in English distinctions and variations makes them Walmart Greeter material...not that there's anything wrong with that :)

I had a botl friend that was insistent upon saying that he was 'going to enjoy a cigar' vice 'going to smoke a cigar'. He thought the distinction important. I didn't adopt his convention, but I respect it....and do use it at times.

Steve 11-21-2016 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 2107793)
Suck My Humidor? :D

Uh...no

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/tmimn.gif

markem 11-21-2016 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave (Post 2107794)
I disagree. I think language is important. Dynamic, of course, but understanding nuances and perceptions is significant. At least, it can be if one wants to communicate. I'm not sure how an interest in English distinctions and variations makes them Walmart Greeter material...not that there's anything wrong with that :)

I had a botl friend that was insistent upon saying that he was 'going to enjoy a cigar' vice 'going to smoke a cigar'. He thought the distinction important. I didn't adopt his convention, but I respect it....and do use it at times.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I am, however, pointing out that if, in the common vernacular, the term 'stogie' is not associated with a particular type of wagon from the 1800s (that is considered an apocryphal story, btw) then jumping up and down insisting that everyone is wrong is kinda silly and more than out-moded.

By all means, be specific with language, but language is intended to communicate ideas and information, not be a source of pedantic argument, unless you are an editor or similar or maybe John Cleese ;). I use terms loosely in order to help insure (compare: ensure) the listener understands the meaning of my statement. I could be very tight on proper usage and insist that everyone else do same, but the goal, the communication of ideas and information, would (possibly) be lost.

btw, with your friend, the first is a proper subset of the second. Where is The Professor (a real professor of rhetoric) when you need him...

Subvet642 11-21-2016 03:01 PM

You call it what you want; I'm callin' it a stogie!:D
http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/...20110524180832

croatan 11-21-2016 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markem (Post 2107798)
Where is The Professor (a real professor of rhetoric) when you need him...

Changing diapers, last I heard...

Many of us emigrated from a fabled, once great land that was partially called "Stogie". It's long gone now, but the friendships remain. And I don't give a crap what someone calls his or her cigar. Cigar smokers get a bad enough rap as it is without going out of our way to be unnecessarily pedantic.

Tio Gato 11-21-2016 03:42 PM

bishes:<