Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   I'm interested..... (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=69956)

CEC_Tech 07-17-2015 11:00 PM

I'm interested.....

After years of smoking cigars, i'm looking to try pipes. My wife says she enjoys the aroma of pipe so I'm looking to give this a go.

I have a couple of questions maybe someone can help me out with.

1. Cobs- I heard they are great starter pipes
2. Beside a cob, what is a good beginner pipe to work with.
3. Tools?
4. Lighter - will my gar torches work?
5. Baccy - what is a good blend to try. I'm a seasoned cigar guy. Does it matter? I just don't want to buy the Phillie blunt of pipe tobacco.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to do some reading now, there's a ton of threads...

Flynnster 07-18-2015 05:57 AM

Re: I'm interested.....

Welcome to the dark side!

I would totally suggest starting with a cob, make sure it's a Missouri Meerschaum. Some of the random off brands can be very low quality and have the bottom come out of the shank come out.

Only tool you'll need is a pipe tool, but a nail works just as well. Most places have a pipe tool and they shouldn't be more than $5 tops.

For tobacco. You actually may want to start with the Phillie blunt. Unlike cigars there is actually a bit of skill in packing and keeping a pipe lit. Because of that, the "drugstore" brands are a good starting point. They aren't bad by any means, but maybe not as nuanced as some of the more expensive blends. My favorite drugstore brand is Carter Hall.

The.Sheepdog 07-18-2015 09:48 AM

You want a soft flame lighter. It doesnt have to be expensive and a lot of folks like zippos.

I like the Mis meerschaums myself. I must have 8 of them by now. They are great cobs. If you burn them out who cares. If you bite thru them who cares. I chew them and love it. I have 100's of dollars worth of pipes and use the cobs most.

I like bulk tobacs a lot myself. Trout stream is awesome and as milk as you can start with. Your wife should love the room note. It may even get her frisky for you! Another like it is Stokkebyes peaches & cream. Chick magnets. tasty, mild, and softly aromatic. Mac Baren Scottish Blend is for when you crave some higher power nic and power. It smells good too. Thats the thing with pipes. Too many great choices!

JohnnyFlake 07-18-2015 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CEC_Tech (Post 2045027)
After years of smoking cigars, i'm looking to try pipes. My wife says she enjoys the aroma of pipe so I'm looking to give this a go.

2. Beside a cob, what is a good beginner pipe to work with. Meerschaum Diplomat or Country Gentlemen
3. Tools? A tobacco Tamper, can be had for a couple of bucks. Golf Tees work well.
4. Lighter - will my gar torches work? NO Torch! - Soft Flame Only. Cheapest good ones are Zippo Pipe Lighters.
5. Baccy - what is a good blend to try. I'm a seasoned cigar guy. Does it matter? I just don't want to buy the Phillie blunt of pipe tobacco. To begin with Captain Black, Prince Albert, Paladin Black Cherry & Sir Walter Raleigh, all excellent starter tobaccos.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to do some reading now, there's a ton of threads...

See Above!

badbriar 07-18-2015 08:12 PM

See if your taste goes towards aromatics or English blends and let us know.
BTW - estate pipes are often good values. Can get into a nicer pipe for around half or less the cost of a new pipe.

YankeeMan 07-19-2015 04:32 AM

Check on Youtube. There's some good videos on how to pack a pipe, lighting a pipe etc. Good for beginners.

CEC_Tech 07-19-2015 01:29 PM

Thank you all for the info. This is a great starting point and answered many of my questions.

MarkinAZ 07-19-2015 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CEC_Tech (Post 2045027)

2. Beside a cob, what is a good beginner pipe to work with.
3. Tools?
4. Lighter - will my gar torches work?
5. Baccy - what is a good blend to try. I'm a seasoned cigar guy. Does it matter? I just don't want to buy the Phillie blunt of pipe tobacco.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flynnster (Post 2045039)
Welcome to the dark side!

I would totally suggest starting with a cob, make sure it's a Missouri Meerschaum.

Only tool you'll need is a pipe tool.

For tobacco. My favorite drugstore brand is Carter Hall.

Pretty much what Spencer had to say Armondo:

1. I'd go with a Legend and/or Mark Twain cob. Any Walgreen's carries both at around $7 bucks + local tax. Both have filters, so you may want to pick-up a box or two of Dr. Grabow filters. Filters should be replaced after 5 to 6 bowls have been smoked per cobb.

2. A Czech 3 n 1 tool is the "basic" all you will need tool, and will last you a life time too. You can tamp tobaccy and dig around in your bowl and shank with this baby.

3. BIC soft flame lighter (a dime a dozen at *almart).

4. Tobacco: Nothing wrong with the Carter Hall, but... if you get numbers 1 through 3, shoot me your addy via PM and I will get a very small sampler out your way to take care of #4.

CEC_Tech 07-21-2015 07:49 PM

Thanks Mark! Will do, the amount of blends and pipes is daunting....I feel like I did back when I first began with Cigars. lol

MarkinAZ 07-21-2015 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CEC_Tech (Post 2045483)
Thanks Mark! Will do, the amount of blends and pipes is daunting....I feel like I did back when I first began with Cigars. lol

...:tu

CoffeeWaterBeer 07-22-2015 06:37 AM

Keep in mind pipes and cigars are two completely different smokes. keep your draw slow and low. Pulling too hard will overheat the tobacco ruins the flavor and can possibly give your tongue a nasty bite. Finding the right rhythm is key and this can change from blend to blend and pipe to pipe. You will learn what combinations work best together. Another thing regarding the tobacco, if it seems on the moist side, let it air dry a bit before packing. The water in the leaf will turn to steam when combusted and sizzle your tongue.
There is a wealth of knowledge here so please keep questions coming. We like bringing new blood into the hobby.

Conch Republican 07-22-2015 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoffeeWaterBeer;2045526[B
]Keep in mind pipes and cigars are two completely different smokes. keep your draw slow and low[/b]. Pulling too hard will overheat the tobacco ruins the flavor and can possibly give your tongue a nasty bite. Finding the right rhythm is key and this can change from blend to blend and pipe to pipe. You will learn what combinations work best together. Another thing regarding the tobacco, if it seems on the moist side, let it air dry a bit before packing. The water in the leaf will turn to steam when combusted and sizzle your tongue.
There is a wealth of knowledge here so please keep questions coming. We like bringing new blood into the hobby.

Lots of learning - and I still don't have it right!!!

Tongue burn sucks :)

jsnake 07-26-2015 02:30 AM

My local puts together a starter kit for $12 or $13. Includes a cob and everything you need to get started. Cobs are a great starting point because they don't beeak the bank.

I have a Xikar pipe lighter with all the tools built in. Soft flame and I love it. Most retail shops will let you sample open tins or bulk of you take your pipe in. That way you can get an idea of what you enjoy before committing.

The.Sheepdog 07-26-2015 03:45 PM

On some pipes and some tobacs I tend to over driving the heat. I find I do it more with the lower nicotine blends. Maybe I am just trying to pull in more nic. I came back to pipes after 7 years away and cigars certainly had all the nic I could handle.

When I start to do that I go to a stronger tobac in the pipe. Bullseye or Scottish Blend. You cant do it wrong really. Just do what you enjoy the way you enjoy it and thats the right way!

CEC_Tech 07-27-2015 04:05 PM

Thanks again everyone for the great advice. I got on pipesandcigars.com and got a starter pack with three cobs, a tool, and a tin of baccy. I'm gonna head to my local b&m, they have some pretty nice smelling blends there I want to give a try.

jsnake 07-27-2015 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CEC_Tech (Post 2046255)
Thanks again everyone for the great advice. I got on pipesandcigars.com and got a starter pack with three cobs, a tool, and a tin of baccy. I'm gonna head to my local b&m, they have some pretty nice smelling blends there I want to give a try.

Sounds like a good start. I like buying from them. They have great deals all the time so sign up for the emails. Personally I smoke aromatics. If I want something else I just smoke a cigar. But I like a sweet pipe and if you do to I highly recommend some McClelland Holiday Spirit. The flavor of rum, cocoa, and pecans and it is amazing. I have a huge stash of those in tins.

MarkinAZ 07-27-2015 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CEC_Tech (Post 2045483)

Ok Armando. Managed to squeeze a couple of samples into a #10 envelop tonight, and this will be heading your way tomorrow morning. Hope one of em gives you a woody brother:D

MarkinAZ 07-28-2015 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkinCA (Post 2046276)
Ok Armando. Managed to squeeze a couple of samples into a #10 envelop tonight, and this will be heading your way tomorrow morning. Hope one of em gives you a woody brother:D

On its way Armando:tu

DC# 9505 5128 5821 5209 0226 10

CEC_Tech 07-29-2015 08:53 PM

Thanks Mark, I've got yours ready to roll. It's on it's way out in the morning.

MarkinAZ 07-29-2015 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CEC_Tech (Post 2046635)
Thanks Mark, I've got yours ready to roll. It's on it's way out in the morning.

...:tu