Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Traveling tips anyone? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=55393)

RobR1205 05-01-2012 10:28 AM

Traveling tips anyone?

Hey everyone! I'm going to be flying out to Savanna, GA this Saturday (6 week cruise aboard the cutter USCGC Eagle). Much to my dismay, the TSA website specified "torch lighters" as prohibited items for both carry-on and checked luggage. I recently purchased one of the yellow Tranz-Packs "approved by the TSA".

Does anyone know if I'll be able to bring my torch lighter on the plane with the TSA approved travel case? :confused: Also, would a small can of butane (1 oz.) be out of the question? I rarely fly, so any travel stories or experiences would be much appreciated. Thanks! :tu

Subvet642 05-01-2012 10:31 AM

Re: Traveling tips anyone?

Why not just buy a cheap one in Savanna?

T.G 05-01-2012 10:41 AM

You should be able to put the torch in the tranz-pak and pack it in your checked luggage.

The can of butane would be out of the question though.

Shadow 05-01-2012 10:42 AM

I've used the Tranz-Pack all the time when I travel with no problems both here and oversea. Put it in your check luggage.

levrac68 05-01-2012 10:43 AM

No go for the Butane canister. Send the torch through checked baggage and you should be fine. Worked for me.

markem 05-01-2012 10:59 AM

Your choices are slim.

You cannot take butane on the plane in any form. This means that you will have to pick some up at the other end. I'd scrap the torch and pick a cheapie up when you get the butane. As an alternative, you can just get a BIC lighter and use that for the trip (probably get several in a pack at the grocery store).

In the future, if you want to bring specific items that you can't take on a plane or ship USPS (butane is in the no-go list), UPS or FedEx a package to the ship in your name.

Blak Smyth 05-01-2012 11:11 AM

I flew out to California a couple months ago and just picked up a nice cheap torch for around $6 at a local B&M, then I just gave it away before I went home.

czerbe 05-01-2012 11:28 AM

I'm flying to St. Louis on Thursday and will be taking some wooden matches and pre cut cigars since I figure you can't take a cutter with

dave 05-01-2012 11:33 AM

I got a dozen of the Ronson (not-quite-jet-lites) for about a buck a piece from some deal-of-the-day site. (A site which then pimped out my credit card number.) I use these when travelling. I'm batting better than .500 on getting them through security. When I surrender one, I just pick up matches and/or Bic at destination. I do turn down the flame and when one is found by a screener, I try to tell them that it is really just a soft-flame model. Gotten a couple past with that line. Last time I flew, the screener was a BOTL who very kindly purged it and handed it back to me. I'll keep trying to get them through just for kicks - worst case is a 3-5 minute delay and loss of a very cheap lighter.

dave 05-01-2012 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by czerbe (Post 1628930)
I'm flying to St. Louis on Thursday and will be taking some wooden matches and pre cut cigars since I figure you can't take a cutter with

Never had any problem with a cutter - Xikar or Palio. Always in carry-on and never been questioned. Once or twice it was taken out and looked at. Never was asked to surrender one.

14holestogie 05-01-2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow (Post 1628900)
I've used the Tranz-Pack all the time when I travel with no problems both here and oversea. Put it in your check luggage.

I wouldn't put an expensive torch in the Trans-Pack (as all torch lighters are prohibited), but I've had good luck getting Jet-Lites through. About the time you put a $100 lighter in one, you'll get the TSA agent that goes by the book. :2

awsmith4 05-01-2012 11:43 AM

If you are going to be anywhere near River Street before you head out there are a couple of shops where you could score a cheap lighter and butane. If I recall correctly neither had a great selection of sticks but the lighters I would imagine are fine. In North Georgia all of the Walgreens and Rite Aids seem to carry Ronson Jetlites so if there is one of those near you that may be an option as well.

poker 05-01-2012 11:50 AM

1) Buy a cheap torch lighter when you get to your destination
2) Can of butane is a no go
3) Cutters are fine according to TSA but bring a cheap one just in case or buy a cheap-o the same time you buy a cheap torch at your destination.

DennisP 05-01-2012 11:53 AM

Another option is a non-torch butane lighter. I have two soft flame lighters just for traveling. Always have one and a cutter in my bag, never have a I been stopped.

I accidentally had a triple torch in my bag for months, probably went through security a minimum of 10 times and never and issue.

pektel 05-01-2012 11:58 AM

I just flew to Mexico a couple weeks ago. I put my cutter in my checked bag. I wasn't going to smoke at the airport, so I didn't think there was a need to carry it on me. My cigars were in my carry-on (checked bag on the way back, and I was very nervous because of customs lol).

I just bought a lighter when I got there, as I was unsure of the policy, and I rarely use a torch.

CigarNut 05-01-2012 12:08 PM

I would definitely do as others suggest and pick up a cheap torch lighter in town before you board. If your ship does not allow butane (I don't know any that do) then pick up a few extras -- especially if you are going to be out for awhile.

The soft-flame lighters and matches do not work very well for me -- when I am outside at sea and there is a little breeze over the deck it can be really difficult to light a cigar with matches or a soft-flame lighter.

Just my :2

czerbe 05-01-2012 12:11 PM

do you think I can take a cutter on my Carry on since I wont be checking a bag?

chippewastud79 05-01-2012 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by czerbe (Post 1628959)
do you think I can take a cutter on my Carry on since I wont be checking a bag?

Yes, cutters are allowed in a carry-on.

czerbe 05-01-2012 12:22 PM

Thanks for the info I'll take a cheap just in case and leave the Palio at home

mosesbotbol 05-01-2012 12:29 PM

I stick with BIC