Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   My first pipe (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=26186)

Demented 12-17-2009 06:37 PM

My first pipe

Near as I can recollect, got my first pipe, one of those jobs in the blister pack, at Sav-On drug store in 1979 just before going to boot camp, along with a pouch of some black tobacco that smelled like vanilla when burned. It wasn’t until 82 that I bought what I consider to be my first real pipe, a Peterson bent apple.

Do you remember your first pipe?

DrDubzz 12-17-2009 06:43 PM

Re: My first pipe

I remember mine well, since I bought it last september

I went to a local smoke shop, the guys know me as I often bought cigars there.

I said, I want to smoke a pipe, and bought a nice looking 30 dollar italian basket briar.

I technically still own it, but it's on long term loan to a friend who's wanting to start pipe smoking

Curly Cut 12-17-2009 07:54 PM

don't recall my first pipe, got it at the PX at Ft. Leavenworth along with some Capt Black, that was '96.

my first "real" pipe was a year or two later when i was down in Dallas for a class. my co-worker and i went to this large mall (4 stories tall, had an ice rink in the middle of it) and i picked up a Savinelli Hercules and some bulk aromatic.
went back to the room and smoked a couple bowls in a row. it's still my "aromatic" pipe.

DrDubzz 12-17-2009 08:13 PM

You speak of the Galleria, fantastic place. However I'm fairly certain there's no place to buy a pipe anymore

boom 12-17-2009 10:16 PM

Got my first pipe in 1997 or so..... They called it a Savinelli second... now they call then naturals, paid $15 for it still have it. Never stuck with it though only a few bowls, I like cigars to much. Just in the past few months I started up the pipe serious this time around.

spectrrr 12-18-2009 03:17 AM

ahhh, my first pipe.... I remember it like it was only minutes ago....

wait a second, thats because it was only a few minutes ago!!!

Smallish straight briar. "comoy's grand slam pipe". Decent looking, made in London. Pulled it out of an estate bin, looked like one I couldn't screw up too much, and doesnt look too expensive (but what do I know :))

Guitarman-S.T- 01-11-2010 01:46 PM

Purchased one on CS years back , a basic bent billard with Algerian Briar on the bottom-
Also received a bit of a sampler as well for starters! its been so long I have NO clue who i purchased it from.

As of now ( knowing it is so laced with EVERY tobacco imaginable) Its my questionable Tester pipe ;) Been smoking some Virginia's in it because I have not purchased a good flake pipe, still looking but must wait for the money to be there

drob 01-11-2010 02:37 PM

I think it was a "London Made" pot off of ebay, and I believe the first bowl was Gold Star, a bulk aromatic from the local B&M (not a member on Puff anymore, so I can't research it). Had it up until a few weeks ago, when I sent it off for a refurb. Guy reamed it out so much that it just won't smoke anything now.

buddhadaddy 01-11-2010 07:42 PM

Mine was a $16 "knock around" Meer lined back around '93'. I used it while on the tugboats and I still have that thing, I leave it in the car for travel.

Bruce 01-12-2010 06:47 AM

Bought it at Iwan Ries, downtown Chicago. It was a store brand bent billiard. Also bought a leather tobacco pouch and pipe tool.
Used to smoke Iwan's Three Star Series.

The pipe was confiscated when I was shipped overseas in the Army. They (my Battalion Commander) said it "could be used to smoke hash".
So they took it.

Wish I still had that little pipe. Only cost me a few bucks, but today, it's worth a lot in sentimental value.

Benwoo 01-12-2010 07:53 AM

Mine was purchased on a nice little day trip with the GF to Monterey, CA about a year ago. Had a great day with the woman and finished it off buy hitting a little shop and buying a not too attractive basket briar, but it looked sturdier then the others and the guy was saying nice thick walls for a new piper would suit me better. I smoke so infrequently it's probably still needs to be broken in.

Chris

VirtualSmitty 01-12-2010 10:34 AM

Mine was a nice little Caminetto I purchased at De La Concha in NYC back in late '99 or early 2000, can't remember exactly. My friend Bill talked me into giving pipes a try, finally caved at one of our city herfs and have been on and off with em ever since.

Mister Moo 01-12-2010 01:56 PM

A bucanneer carved meer, 1970. Terrible balance, heavy and it's a sitter that won't stay sat. Still have it though.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...0cigars/03.jpg

T.G 01-12-2010 02:07 PM

An MM cob w/ a straight bit.

I hate it.

SilverFox 01-22-2010 02:15 PM

Easy for me to remember it just arrived Friday

Brigham Voyager Quarter Bent

Nice enough pipe.