Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What brand cigars are not sold on the web? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=62506)

Outlaw God 06-27-2013 10:23 PM

What brand cigars are not sold on the web?

What dose B&M stores have that I'm missing?

I'm spoiled by Cigarbid and others and also not paying taxes out of state
Thanks

BHalbrooks 06-27-2013 10:27 PM

Re: What brand cigars are not sold on the web?

I can't think of any Cigar brands that only B&M's carry, but I could be wrong. There will certainly be certain lines from brands that are in stores only.

icehog3 06-28-2013 12:04 AM

Esencia. :tu

maninblack 06-28-2013 06:50 AM

Alot of B&M's have their house blends you can't buy online. I know Outlaw cigar has a bunch.

Blak Smyth 06-28-2013 07:11 AM

B&Ms also typically offer a lounge to enjoy your smoke. There can be a sense of pride gained when you support a local business as well. You may meet some great BOTL and start some new friendships there on occasion too. Many places have house blends as well(as mentioned before). You can score boxes and try out accessories too. While many good deals can be found online, online sales can never completely replace the experience of visiting a really high quality B&M. When I was heavily into NCs I used to buy my boxes online and my singles at a B&M.

Outlaw God 06-28-2013 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blak Smyth (Post 1855144)
B&Ms also typically offer a lounge to enjoy your smoke. There can be a sense of pride gained when you support a local business as well. You may meet some great BOTL and start some new friendships there on occasion too. Many places have house blends as well(as mentioned before). You can score boxes and try out accessories too. While many good deals can be found online, online sales can never completely replace the experience of visiting a really high quality B&M. When I was heavily into NCs I used to buy my boxes online and my singles at a B&M.

The only beef I have with B&M is they have the mentality to store there cigars at 70-72% RH and smoking there can be frustrating getting the full potential from the stick, but good points on friendships new
thanks

T.G 06-28-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Outlaw God (Post 1855193)
The only beef I have with B&M is they have the mentality to store there cigars at 70-72% RH and smoking there can be frustrating getting the full potential from the stick, but good points on friendships new
thanks

Then bring and smoke your own while taking the ones you just bought home to let them drop in moisture.

shilala 06-28-2013 09:25 AM

Does anyone remember the "JFR" (just for retail) cigars someone was making back about 5 years ago? I can't remember who it was.

bobarian 06-28-2013 11:12 AM

It is a well known fact that all makers save their best cigars for B&M's. Only their inferior sticks are sold online. :sh

timj219 06-28-2013 11:30 AM

I'm aware of only two.
LA Aurora "Broadway" and Alec Bradley "New York" are supposedly available only at B&Ms in NY. They are LEs made by those two companies to benefit NY tobacconists in the wake of the ruinous increase in NY cigar taxes to 75%. I've had the Broadway it's an excellent smoke.

TJarv 06-28-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shilala (Post 1855203)
Does anyone remember the "JFR" (just for retail) cigars someone was making back about 5 years ago? I can't remember who it was.

Casa Fernandez does now

jledou 06-28-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shilala (Post 1855203)

They still are available at some B&Ms, I believe it was Tobacco Tropical that was/is making them.

There are a few other B&M exclusive lines the manufacturers have tried over time but I believe that trend may be dwindling :confused:

RobR1205 06-28-2013 11:57 AM

Some of the higher end Diamond Crowns like the Julius Caesar and Fuentes like Casa Fuente can be difficult locate online sometimes.

Blak Smyth 06-28-2013 12:00 PM

Another nice thing about B&Ms is you can dig around in there walk-in and occasionaly find a jewel that was discoed or HTF online.

FUEL 06-28-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Outlaw God (Post 1855193)
thanks

I asked the owners of two B&Ms that I go to about that. The response I got in my mind made sense and their response were almost identical.

The reason for the higher humidity is that the door is being opened constantly from 9am to 10pm M-Th, 8am - 12am Fr & Sat and 12p - 6p on Sun. That is a ton of people in and out, in and out, allowing the humidity to escape and temp fluctuation. Made sense to me and I have never really had but maybe two handfuls of cigars I felt were over humidified. If they were, I have a hell of a lot of other choices there.

My $0.03.

J.

Porch Dweller 06-28-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobarian (Post 1855246)
It is a well known fact that all makers save their best cigars for B&M's. Only their inferior sticks are sold online. :sh

Uh-oh...light fuse and get away!

:D

Porch Dweller 06-28-2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FUEL (Post 1855277)
I asked the owners of two B&Ms that I go to about that. The response I got in my mind made sense and their response were almost identical.

The reason for the higher humidity is that the door is being opened constantly from 9am to 10pm M-Th, 8am - 12am Fr & Sat and 12p - 6p on Sun. That is a ton of people in and out, in and out, allowing the humidity to escape and temp fluctuation. Made sense to me and I have never really had but maybe two handfuls of cigars I felt were over humidified. If they were, I have a hell of a lot of other choices there.

My $0.03.

J.

That sounds like a perfectly reasonable explanation to me. I keep my humidors at 65% but don't mind smoking something I just bought in the B&M that was stored at 70-72%

Outlaw God 06-28-2013 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobarian (Post 1855246)

It's a well known fact the getting great cigars online you can get the best cigars in the world, not to mention B&M for example can only get Arturo Fuente Aņejo's twice a year while you can get them online all year long :sh

Sweet_Leaf_PDX 06-28-2013 03:29 PM

One of the shops that I frequent has a few special blends that they receive, and I've never seen them anywhere else. They also get a really good cigar that is freshly rolled for them in Florida, and then shipped directly to the store. You can smoke them right away and it is fun having a cigar that was rolled with the past couple weeks. I've also bought one and stored it a few months and it was interesting to go back a compare a fresh one to the one that has been sitting for a while.

I'm starting to develop relationships with people at the B&M I frequent and am finding it very rewarding. They are getting to know my tastes and always have something cool to recommend.

FUEL 06-28-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porch Dweller (Post 1855308)
That sounds like a perfectly reasonable explanation to me. I keep my humidors at 65% but don't mind smoking something I just bought in the B&M that was stored at 70-72%

If I could get a damn hygrometer to take accurate readings I would as well. Thread forthcoming...