Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Moncada cigars? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=26637)

Wharf Rat 12-29-2009 09:48 AM

Moncada cigars?

My Mom and stepdad went on a cruise recently and brought back some cigars for me that they bought from a roller in the port of Roatan, Honduras. They look like nicely rolled maduro torpedos. and are named "Moncada."

I haven't had a chance to try thrm yet. Anyone have any experience with this roller?

Montano 12-29-2009 10:26 AM

Re: Moncada cigars?

Smoke one and give us a review since this is the Reviews section ;)

keysdiver 02-23-2010 06:52 PM

I visited the same port last August and bought some cigars from the only vendor on the doc. They were great, very mild. I have his card. His email is moncadaciggars@yahoo.com I've email him twice but no response so far, I'd like to order more. He was rolling them right there on the doc. Price was 15.00 for a pack of seven. His phone, which I haven't tried yet, is (504)9966-2240

RightAJ 02-23-2010 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keysdiver (Post 770200)
I visited the same port last August and bought some cigars from the only vendor on the doc. They were great, very mild. I have his card. His email is moncadaciggars@yahoo.com I've email him twice but no response so far, I'd like to order more. He was rolling them right there on the doc. Price was 15.00 for a pack of seven. His phone, which I haven't tried yet, is (504)9966-2240

You have two 'g's in his email... is that the problem??
Sounds interesting! I love custom/house blends sticks

aj

keysdiver 02-24-2010 06:45 PM

That's what is on his business card and it doesn't bounce back as a bad address, but worth trying. Thanks

Wharf Rat 02-24-2010 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keysdiver (Post 771683)
That's what is on his business card and it doesn't bounce back as a bad address, but worth trying. Thanks

There's also a website ( http://stores.homestead.com/MoncadaC...StoreFront.bok ) that looks to have the same lettering as the business card.

I tried one and I would review it as "a toasty flavor." I put the rest in the 'dor to try after a while.

michaelmast 02-26-2010 12:15 PM

Those cigars are good but have you ever try Cuban Cigars? Those are the best of the best in flavor, texture, presentation and price.

pnoon 02-26-2010 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelmast (Post 774240)
Those cigars are good but have you ever try Cuban Cigars? Those are the best of the best in flavor, texture, presentation and price.

Welcome to Cigar Asylum. Why not head over to the New Inmate Forum and introduce yourself.

As for your comment, there are many who prefer Cuban cigars. However, there are many who do not. "Best" is purely subjective.

keysdiver 03-02-2010 05:28 PM

I finally heard back from Sr Mancado via email, in spanish. According to the spanish translator I found on line he says he is a small vendor, rolling small quantities working at the mercy of Carnival Cruise lines and cannot sell on line. Oh well.

ksandy 02-27-2011 07:05 AM

I just got back from a cruise (Princess) to Roatan and saw Sr. Moncada rolling on the square next to the hair braiding lady. I bought a pack of 7; immediately tried one....liked it so much, I bought 3 more packs. I also touted their quality to a few other people in front of the roller....they also bought some and Sr. Moncado rewarded my salesmanship with 4 additional free cigars. They are NOT tightly rolled, but definitely a 50 minute + smoke...leathery...tasty and mild. The price went up to $20/7...but up the stairs to the right was another store with Cubans @ $15 ea. I've tried 'em all and Cubans are not worth it...to me. A good Dominican is just as good, so don't be lured into the mystique.

Emjaysmash 02-27-2011 07:09 AM

Glad you found him again and got to buy more. $20 for 7 is not bad at all, especially if you really like his cigars!

OLS 02-27-2011 09:02 AM

Heheh...banned.

pnoon 02-27-2011 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksandy (Post 1186534)
I just got back from a cruise (Princess) to Roatan and saw Sr. Moncada rolling on the square next to the hair braiding lady. I bought a pack of 7; immediately tried one....liked it so much, I bought 3 more packs. I also touted their quality to a few other people in front of the roller....they also bought some and Sr. Moncado rewarded my salesmanship with 4 additional free cigars. They are NOT tightly rolled, but definitely a 50 minute + smoke...leathery...tasty and mild. The price went up to $20/7...but up the stairs to the right was another store with Cubans @ $15 ea. I've tried 'em all and Cubans are not worth it...to me. A good Dominican is just as good, so don't be lured into the mystique.

Opinions vary greatly.

And since you've tried them all, we'd love to hear more about your perceptions of the individual marcas/vitolas.

Emjaysmash 02-27-2011 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnoon (Post 1186612)
Opinions vary greatly.

And since you've tried them all, we'd love to hear more about your perceptions of the individual marcas/vitolas.

I think that's why he said "...to me" at the end of that statement.

pnoon 02-27-2011 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emjaysmash (Post 1186617)
I think that's why he said "...to me" at the end of that statement.

I read that, too.
Based on the fact he has tried them all, I would like to hear more than a general statement, MJ.

icehog3 02-27-2011 09:31 AM

Quote:

...but up the stairs to the right was another store with Cubans @ $15 ea. I've tried 'em all and Cubans are not worth it...to me. A good Dominican is just as good, so don't be lured into the mystique.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnoon (Post 1186620)
I read that, too.
Based on the fact he has tried them all, I would like to hear more than a general statement, MJ.

There is also the very, very slight possibility that Cubans that he bought "at the top of the stairs" from a dock in Honduras were not legit. A very, very, very slight chance. ;)

icehog3 02-27-2011 09:32 AM

P.S.....I have been lured by the mystique. Sorry. :r

icehog3 02-27-2011 09:39 AM

Quote:

Welcome to the Asylum anyway! Hey, I see you are the admin of the JR Cigar site on Facebook! :)

NCRadioMan 02-27-2011 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 1186663)
Welcome to the Asylum anyway! Hey, I see you are the admin of the JR Cigar site on Facebook! :)

Someone affiliated with a US cigar store and saying Cubans are not worth it?

http://www.christiancharacter.net/faith/shocking-2.jpg

cort 02-27-2011 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 1186663)

:we