Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Happy Cinco de Mayo...it's a Texas thing (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=71471)

GrouchoM 05-05-2016 02:24 PM

Happy Cinco de Mayo...it's a Texas thing

Cinco de Mayo (pronounced: [ˈsiŋko đe ˈmaʝo]; Spanish for "May 5th", or literally, "Fifth of May") is a celebration held onMay 5. The date is observed to commemorate the Mexican Army's unlikely victory over French forces at theBattle of Puebla on May 5, 1862, under the leadership of General Ignacio Zaragoza. In the United States, Cinco de Mayo is sometimes mistaken to be Mexico's Independence Day—the most important national holiday in Mexico—which is celebrated on September 16.

icehog3 05-05-2016 02:43 PM

Re: Happy Cinco de Mayo...it's a Texas thing

Been celebrating it in the Midwest for the 36 years I've been a legal drinker, so not sure why you'd call it a "Texas thing"? ;)

T.G 05-05-2016 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 2086098)
Been celebrating it in the Midwest for the 36 years I've been a legal drinker, so not sure why you'd call it a "Texas thing"? ;)

Because Texas is actually North Mexico.

pnoon 05-05-2016 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrouchoM (Post 2086089)
Cinco de Mayo (pronounced: [ˈsiŋko đe ˈmaʝo]; Spanish for "May 5th", or literally, "Fifth of May") is a celebration held onMay 5. The date is observed to commemorate the Mexican Army's unlikely victory over French forces at theBattle of Puebla on May 5, 1862, under the leadership of General Ignacio Zaragoza. In the United States, Cinco de Mayo is sometimes mistaken to be Mexico's Independence Day—the most important national holiday in Mexico—which is celebrated on September 16.

Definitely NOT a Texas "thing"
Have you ever been to Southern California?

AdamJoshua 05-05-2016 03:17 PM

It's actually more of an Mexican in American thing than a Mexican in Mexico thing.

T.G 05-05-2016 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamJoshua (Post 2086110)
It's actually more of an Mexican in American thing than a Mexican in Mexico thing.

You're wrong other Adam, I read on the internet that it was really a Texas thing.

big_jaygee 05-05-2016 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.G (Post 2086114)
You're wrong other Adam, I read on the internet that it was really a Texas thing.

Well if you read it on the internet....then it has to be true.

T.G 05-05-2016 07:35 PM

The interwebz never lie. Nevar! :banger

Remo 05-05-2016 07:51 PM

A Texas thing?....been a Mexican thing as long as I can remember...oh ya, it's a Utah thing also since all the south of the border folks who are here drink a sh!t ton of Corona and Dos Equis!

Remo 05-05-2016 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.G (Post 2086103)
Because Texas is actually North Mexico.

That's true.

Porch Dweller 05-05-2016 08:15 PM

It's a marketing thing. Most Americans wouldn't give a rat's turd about it if not for the efforts of Corona and Cuervo.

Which I'm totally okay with; any excuse to drink tequila in the middle of the week works for me. :D

hwgoesit 05-05-2016 08:57 PM

Time for a corona...
And a corona

rwiiames 05-05-2016 09:11 PM

And all this time I thought it meant 5X Mayonnaise on my sammich, please.

markem 05-05-2016 11:10 PM

From Big Joe Henry:

For me Sinko de Mayo is truly a day to celebrate. Few people have come to know the “true” story of the origin of Sinko de Mayo. It is my pleasure to set the record straight.

A little known fact is that back in 1912, Hellmann’s mayonnaise was manufactured in England. In fact, the Titanic was carrying 12,000 jars of the condiment scheduled for delivery in Vera Cruz, Mexico, which was to be the next port of call for the great ship after its stop in New York. This would have been the largest single shipment of mayonnaise ever delivered to Mexico but as we know, the great ship did not make it to New York.

The ship hit an iceberg and sank and the cargo was forever lost. The people of Mexico, who were crazy about mayonnaise and were eagerly awaiting its delivery, were disconsolate at the loss. Their anguish was so great that they declared a National Day of Mourning, which they still observe to this day.

The National Day of Mourning occurs each year on May 5 and is known, of course, as Sinko de Mayo.

Go out on this day, grab a couple of slices of Wonderbread and a jar of Hellman’s mayonnaise and have a party. You know I will!

Read More: The True Story of Sinko de Mayo, according to Big Joe Henry | http://nj1015.com/the-true-story-of-...ckback=tsmclip

big_jaygee 05-06-2016 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markem (Post 2086164)
From Big Joe Henry:

For me Sinko de Mayo is truly a day to celebrate. Few people have come to know the “true” story of the origin of Sinko de Mayo. It is my pleasure to set the record straight.

A little known fact is that back in 1912, Hellmann’s mayonnaise was manufactured in England. In fact, the Titanic was carrying 12,000 jars of the condiment scheduled for delivery in Vera Cruz, Mexico, which was to be the next port of call for the great ship after its stop in New York. This would have been the largest single shipment of mayonnaise ever delivered to Mexico but as we know, the great ship did not make it to New York.

The ship hit an iceberg and sank and the cargo was forever lost. The people of Mexico, who were crazy about mayonnaise and were eagerly awaiting its delivery, were disconsolate at the loss. Their anguish was so great that they declared a National Day of Mourning, which they still observe to this day.

The National Day of Mourning occurs each year on May 5 and is known, of course, as Sinko de Mayo.

Go out on this day, grab a couple of slices of Wonderbread and a jar of Hellman’s mayonnaise and have a party. You know I will!

Read More: The True Story of Sinko de Mayo, according to Big Joe Henry | http://nj1015.com/the-true-story-of-...ckback=tsmclip

Sounds legit....and since i read it on the internet it must be true.