Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   "Disrespectful" Version of National Anthem (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=41726)

Barcode 01-27-2011 04:51 AM

Re: "Disrespectful" Version of National Anthem

There is NOTHING Wrong with the way she sang that.

shilala 01-27-2011 05:37 AM

The fact that she took all the time and effort to take it to heart and make it as beautiful as she humanly could is testament to her respect. It happens day in and day out all over, I've heard hundreds of versions over the years played at ball games and so forth.
I'm very proud of her. The fact that she's left hurt after her effort just makes me sad. Unfortunately people can be real assholes when they put their mind to it.

replicant_argent 01-27-2011 07:25 AM

While I am a fan of a more traditional Anthem, (I occasionally sing along, and this allows my awful voice to blend in and not sound so bad. I like to know where the notes and tempo are going.) she did a fine job. She obviously put a lot of work into practicing for her performance, and she actually got all the words right. (Something I have had the misfortune of hearing butchered many times.)
What is disrespectful, and what I do react to, is people not removing their hats, talking incessantly, and disrespecting others who would like to show their respect for their nation, their Armed Forces, and the dead by distracting from the experience.
More than a few times, I have barked at and individual or groups of people in a parking lot or in a bleacher.
It is my way, unfortunately, as tactless as it may be.

kelmac07 01-27-2011 07:29 AM

No issues from me...she did an OUTSTANDING job. Beautiful voice!! :tu :tu

School administration in Bloomington. :td :td

G G 01-27-2011 08:16 AM

Great job and kudos to her. I have heard lots of versions where folks used a lot more "embellishment" than she did and no one was complaining.

yourchoice 01-27-2011 08:25 AM

Nothing offensive IMHO. A little different, but nicely sung (or is it sang?).

canadianbeaver 01-27-2011 08:41 AM

What the heck? A beautiful singer! She had a thing about reaching low notes so she went a different route a bit. So what? If she was my daughter I would be very proud of her.

CB

Dave128 01-27-2011 08:52 AM

Where's the disrespect? She did a great job. I'd like to see the school officials try to do a better job.

mpd340 01-27-2011 09:10 AM

Really good voice and I didn't feel it was disrespectful at all. I've heard celebrities do alot worse and feel that some of their versions could be considered disrespectful.

Whee 01-27-2011 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by replicant_argent (Post 1150584)
While I am a fan of a more traditional Anthem, (I occasionally sing along, and this allows my awful voice to blend in and not sound so bad. I like to know where the notes and tempo are going.) she did a fine job. She obviously put a lot of work into practicing for her performance, and she actually got all the words right. (Something I have had the misfortune of hearing butchered many times.)
What is disrespectful, and what I do react to, is people not removing their hats, talking incessantly, and disrespecting others who would like to show their respect for their nation, their Armed Forces, and the dead by distracting from the experience.
More than a few times, I have barked at and individual or groups of people in a parking lot or in a bleacher.
It is my way, unfortunately, as tactless as it may be.

Sometimes, ice from my drink accidentally falls out of my hand and lands on the heads of these idiots.

Darrell 01-27-2011 09:35 AM

The people complaining are just being racist assholes. Leave her the **** alone, she is a 16 year old girl and it takes a lot for someone to get in front of a crowd and talk, let alone sing the National Anthem. I think she did a fine job and I would be honored to have her sing at a function I attended.

RGD. 01-27-2011 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by illinoishoosier (Post 1150280)
I know where to send it.:D

Either post or PM then if you would.

Ron

Knip23 01-27-2011 08:28 PM

Not to bad, i didnt think it was disrespectful at all, every pop star and jessabell do it. So why can a High School girl do it?

Some people are just stupid.