Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=944)

Skywalker 08-08-2012 10:44 PM

Re: What are you reading?

Star Wars Republic Commando: Hard Contact

pektel 08-08-2012 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bighairlogo (Post 1693413)
A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson. I recommend to anyone especially if you like/live near the appalachian trail

Nice choice. haven't read that since high school. probably worth a second read.
Posted via Mobile Device

Pilon 08-09-2012 08:03 AM

Justin Cronin's "The Passage"

Eleven 08-09-2012 09:46 AM

I'm taking Dan's advice and starting "Enemies Foreign and Domestic" today.

BeerAdvocate 08-09-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pilon (Post 1696705)
Justin Cronin's "The Passage"

Travis, Great Book. Travis

Mr. Ed 08-09-2012 09:35 PM

Cod: A Biography of the Fish that Changed the World by Mark Kurlanksy

Easy to read world/global/transnational popular history book. Very interesting.

LT_Blueshine 08-09-2012 10:49 PM

Tales by H.P. Lovecraft

I love scary stories but Lovecraft lets the reader scare themselves with their own imagination.

Ranger_B 08-10-2012 12:35 PM

Just finished fearless what a great book. Working on soldier dogs now.

pnoon 08-10-2012 12:38 PM

Fatal Voyage by Kathy Reichs

jledou 08-14-2012 05:17 AM

Finished up Wool 1-5. Interesting story line and quick reads.

elderboy02 08-14-2012 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eleven (Post 1696784)

:tu:tu

rebelknight 08-15-2012 08:41 PM

Hour game

forgop 08-16-2012 02:55 PM

Duff McKagan-It's so Easy

Doesn't seem to be as good of a start as Slash's book, bu still good nonetheless. I have Adler's book on the way.

Eleven 08-24-2012 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eleven (Post 1696784)

For some reason that book took me two weeks to finish.

Starting Mortal by Dekker/Lee today.

irratebass 08-24-2012 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forgop (Post 1701097)
Duff McKagan-It's so Easy

Doesn't seem to be as good of a start as Slash's book, bu still good nonetheless. I have Adler's book on the way.

Very cool :tu Adler's I am very interested in.

I just started Nerd Do Well by Simon Pegg

Apoco 08-24-2012 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jledou (Post 1699541)
Finished up Wool 1-5. Interesting story line and quick reads.

That was a good, quick read. That same author (Hugh Howey) released a new short story called "The Plagiarist" about 3 months ago - it is worth a read as well. Be warned - I read it in about 2 hours...so I'm not kidding when I say "short" ;)

I'm now 1 month into Lord of the Rings. The storyline is fantastic - but Tolkein gives so. much. detail. I'm only like 40% of the way through the trilogy...
Posted via Mobile Device

jledou 08-24-2012 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apoco (Post 1704806)
That was a good, quick read. That same author (Hugh Howey) released a new short story called "The Plagiarist" about 3 months ago - it is worth a read as well. Be warned - I read it in about 2 hours...so I'm not kidding when I say "short" ;)

Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks Alex I will take a look at it.

I just read The Last Templar by Raymond Khoury this week on at "quick" trip to China.

elderboy02 08-24-2012 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eleven (Post 1704765)
For some reason that book took me two weeks to finish...

What did you think of the book? It took me a while to read as well.

Eleven 08-24-2012 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elderboy02 (Post 1704917)
What did you think of the book? It took me a while to read as well.

I can't really figure out why it took me about 2x as long to read, I liked it a lot. I think that maybe during the first half, I wasn't reading as much as I usually do each night. After I hit around 60% (Kindle version, I love seeing percentages and not page numbers!) it flew by.

There were 2 parts in the book where my heart rate was actually going nuts, like I was there, feeling the adrenaline.

So many authors use extreme details in their books, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't but in this case I think it helped put you into the action instead of just bombarding you with useless minutiae like what kind of shoelaces people were wearing. The very detailed descriptions of weapons and clothing helped paint an amazing picture in my head of what was going on.

Stephen Lawhead does the same thing in "The Skin Map" and "The Bone House" but not nearly as effective as Bracken does.

I'm juggling a couple trilogies right now, after Mortal I think I'll get Domestic Enemies: The Reconquista and read it. I like allowing books time to sink in before I hop into the next one in a series.

Thanks for the heads up on this one Dan, I've already recommended it to another friend who's into the espionage genre.

elderboy02 08-24-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eleven (Post 1704981)
I can't really figure out why it took me about 2x as long to read, I liked it a lot. I think that maybe during the first half, I wasn't reading as much as I usually do each night. After I hit around 60% (Kindle version, I love seeing percentages and not page numbers!) it flew by.

There were 2 parts in the book where my heart rate was actually going nuts, like I was there, feeling the adrenaline.

So many authors use extreme details in their books, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't but in this case I think it helped put you into the action instead of just bombarding you with useless minutiae like what kind of shoelaces people were wearing. The very detailed descriptions of weapons and clothing helped paint an amazing picture in my head of what was going on.

Stephen Lawhead does the same thing in "The Skin Map" and "The Bone House" but not nearly as effective as Bracken does.

I'm juggling a couple trilogies right now, after Mortal I think I'll get Domestic Enemies: The Reconquista and read it. I like allowing books time to sink in before I hop into the next one in a series.

Thanks for the heads up on this one Dan, I've already recommended it to another friend who's into the espionage genre.

Very cool! My adrenaline was flowing too in a couple places. I also think it took a while to read b/c I didn't read enough each night. I love reading with the Kindle app on the iPad b/c the percentages help :tu