Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   linering smell (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=60579)

Falsefloor 02-08-2013 09:07 AM

linering smell

Hi everyone,

I enjoy a nice cigar now and then, but I never smoke them on days I'm with my girlfriend. Sometimes I smoke one on the day before or 2 days before we're getting together, and she says she can tell that I've smoked a cigar, she says she smell/taste it when we kiss or cuddle, even though I've brushed my teeth a couple of times, put on new clothes etc. Is it really possible other people can smell cigar odor even one or two days after you've smoked one? She says my skin smells like it, and my breath. It doesn't really bother her, but I just wonder if the lingering odor really lasts that long and is that strong. It kinda surprised me she could tell.

T.G 02-08-2013 09:11 AM

Re: linering smell

Yes, it's possible. Get a new girlfriend.

czerbe 02-08-2013 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.G (Post 1792761)

:tpd::=:

14holestogie 02-08-2013 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.G (Post 1792761)

Yep. :tu

aich75013 02-08-2013 09:18 AM

Showering helps. :)

The Poet 02-08-2013 09:22 AM

A woman is just a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke. - Rudyard Kipling.

Subvet642 02-08-2013 09:22 AM

If she was cooking you dinner she wouldn't smell it. :D

bighairlogo 02-08-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subvet642 (Post 1792771)
If she was cooking you dinner she wouldn't smell it. :D

:lr :lr :lr

AdamJoshua 02-08-2013 09:33 AM

If it didn't bother her why did she bring it up? Wake up man :sl she's a female (we are assuming :D ) and there's more to this than meets the eye..or nose as the case may be.

MajorCaptSilly 02-08-2013 09:45 AM

Welcome to The Asylum.

1. Clothing - Cigar smell stays on clothing until you wash it. For coats/jackets, it will dissipate after time and quicker if you leave them outside.

2. Hair/Skin - Cigar smell lingers until you shower or you can wait for about a week. At that point, the cigar smell will be overpowered by body odor.

3. Breath - I use Smart Mouth mouthwash. It works very well to eliminate cigar breath.

MCS

The Poet 02-08-2013 09:55 AM

Why do I keep thinking of my Hot Tuna albums? :confused:

markem 02-08-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MajorCaptSilly (Post 1792779)
Welcome to The Asylum.

1. Clothing - Cigar smell stays on clothing until you wash it. For coats/jackets, it will dissipate after time and quicker if you leave them outside.

2. Hair/Skin - Cigar smell lingers until you shower or you can wait for about a week. At that point, the cigar smell will be overpowered by body odor.

3. Breath - I use Smart Mouth mouthwash. It works very well to eliminate cigar breath.

:tpd: Scott is right on with this advice. Smart Mouth is amazing as well. I get it at Walgreens. If you happen to have a mustache or beard, be aware that you have to be thorough in your cleaning. Strangely enough, I also use a neti pot to clean my sinuses and have been told that it helps a lot. But I retrohale everything.

RobR1205 02-08-2013 10:01 AM

Invest in a tongue cleaner/scraper. It's kinda weird at first, but at least you won't wake up with the cigar taste the next morning. When I smoke in a jacket or hoodie, I just leave it outside to air. Almost completely gone the next day.

maninblack 02-08-2013 10:31 AM

Great first post! I'd say get a new girlfriend. Cigars come first.

mjdx88 02-08-2013 10:39 AM

My girlfriend has the same issue, wash your hair and beard 2-3 times, wash your clothes and keep one jacket/hoodie for cigars. Even then if I follow these steps she can still smell it at times.

Finding a new girlfriend is not an option for me....we are getting married at the end of may....she will come around lol

Brutus2600 02-08-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MajorCaptSilly (Post 1792779)
Welcome to The Asylum.

MCS

MCS has the gist of it - all three are very important parts in getting rid of the smell. I'd add in there these things though:

1) Depending on where you smoke it might be more than just your clothes that absorb the smell. If you smoke in a B&M or other enclosed area and not outside I've noticed that my wallet, phone (case), and shoes all pick up the smoke smell as well. Generally the first thing I do when I get home from a herf is ditch my clothes (jeans, shirt, jacket - everything) in the laundry room.

2) Showering should get rid of any lingering smoke smell on your body and in your hair except for the fingers that held the cigar. I've read that if you take some cheap toothpaste (the white pasty kind) and use that as a mildly abrasive cleaner on your fingers it gets rid of that smell. I've not had success with that but that should dissipate by the next day.

3) Breath - this can be the most difficult but with the proper tools the most effective. Obviously this is where the concentration of the cigar smell will be, especially if you're all up in your gf's face. I take a three pronged approach to cigar breath management. 1) Brush your teeth and tongue 2) Scrape your tongue with a tongue scraper 3) Use Smart Mouth mouth wash.

The Smart Mouth mouth wash is a 3rd generation mouth wash. It doesn't just cover up bad breath temporarily with a minty smell but actively prevents bad breath (here is a more in depth explanation). I wouldn't use any other type of mouth wash when trying to get rid of cigar breath.

Subvet642 02-08-2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjdx88 (Post 1792806)
My girlfriend has the same issue, wash your hair and beard 2-3 times, wash your clothes and keep one jacket/hoodie for cigars. Even then if I follow these steps she can still smell it at times.

Finding a new girlfriend is not an option for me....we are getting married at the end of may....she will come aroundd lol

They never come around because they don't have to. Once you're married they continue to place further conditions upon you because they know compliance is easier than divorce. She knows that you'll go along to get along. Add children and guaranteed she'll have her way.

Falsefloor 02-08-2013 11:35 AM

thanks for all your advice! I'll sure try it. (except for the finding a new girlfriend advice)

She doesn't necessarily mind the smell, but she just mentioned she could still smell it 2 days after, and this kinda surprised me. Anyone else heard this from their SO's?

Brutus2600 02-08-2013 11:47 AM

If I've herfed and smoked 3+ cigars she mentions she can still smell it on my breath a couple days later. With that many cigars not much you can do at that point besides minimize it.

With one cigar though? Usually can't tell after half a day if I've properly cleaned out my mouth.

dc_glidden 02-08-2013 12:02 PM

My wife was able to smell when I smoke cigarettes long ago, but for a while now she has not noticed the cigars, or even mentioned them.

I don't smoke many during a day, maybe 2 tops, morning with a cup of joe, and maybe one after a awesome dinner with another cup of joe or a splash of Rum&Coke.

I do only smoke in the garage, or on the front porch and as others mentioned, I also leave my hoody in the garage to air out, use the preventative measures of fresh breath for there is no need to share my hobby with those that don't enjoy it as I do.