Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Wine, Beer, and Spirits (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Beer with Syrup - Do you like? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=28906)

mosesbotbol 02-22-2010 10:05 AM

Beer with Syrup - Do you like?

In France this is quite popular; mixing beer with fruit syrups. Do any of you do this, or order it at bars? Apricot is one my preferred flavors.

BeerAdvocate 02-22-2010 10:15 AM

Re: Beer with Syrup - Do you like?

I think they would take away my Man Card if I ordered one of these at the bar!

mosesbotbol 02-22-2010 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeerAdvocate (Post 768204)

Too funny. Hey, it's France, what do you want? -(P

Beer with syrup or Cosmo? Cosmo will get you f-d up faster but ridiculed equal.

T.G 02-22-2010 10:27 AM

More details please Mo...

Like the syrups used for flavoring coffees (ie: Torani brand)? Plus what type or style of beer?

The idea is intriguing if only to try once just to be able to say I did.

shilala 02-22-2010 10:29 AM

I never bought into the "beer flavors". I just liked beer flavored beer.
I will admit that I occasionally enjoyed a Corona with a lime in it, though. It was the only way I could choke that stuff down and the lime made it enjoyable. :)

BlackDog 02-22-2010 10:31 AM

I've had fruit lambics, and I've had fruit beers (like Sam Adams Cherry Wheat) but have never heard of this. I'm interested, please expand.

T.G 02-22-2010 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackDog (Post 768240)
I've had fruit lambics, and I've had fruit beers (like Sam Adams Cherry Wheat) but have never heard of this. I'm interested, please expand.

Kind of what I was thinking. There are some manufacturers that push "lambics" that are really not a lambic but basically a brown ale w/ added flavorings and sugar, this could be almost like creating your own on the fly.

I'm not crazy about these fake lambics, but the syrup idea is intriguing - at least the idea isn't being pretentiously billed as something it isn't.

mosesbotbol 02-22-2010 10:48 AM

For sure it is a lighter body golden beer. I don't think they are the same syrups used for coffee, but a fruit syrup similar to what the Brits use in "Squash". It makes the beer more beverage-like in my mind. Not as serious, but it's not used with a serious beer. A Rolling Rock or something like that would the similar beer.

shilala 02-22-2010 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.G (Post 768254)
Kind of what I was thinking. There are some manufacturers that push "lambics" that are really not a lambic but basically a brown ale w/ added flavorings and sugar, this could be almost like creating your own on the fly.

I'm not crazy about these fake lambics, but the syrup idea is intriguing - at least the idea isn't being pretentiously billed as something it isn't.

I just ordered a juicer. Maybe some fresh strawberries in a nice sweet lager? I don't drink anymore, but maybe I can push something like this on my girlfriend. I'd definately like to taste it.
That honestly sounds good and I'm not even being a smartass. I'll run it by her and see what she thinks.
I bet it'd be at least as good as beer and clamato juice, which I always enjoyed when I was really hungover.

landhoney 02-22-2010 12:36 PM

Berliner Weisse :dr

I was in Berlin a few months ago and ordered 3, one with Raspberry syrup, one with Woodruff syrup (green, tastes kind of grassy/earthy), and one plain. They only had the two flavors or I would have ordered more. :D
The waitress was hesitant when I ordered the plain (actually shook her head and said something like "you don't want that", but I insisted). Berliner Weisse is pretty sour and most people have never had or enjoy sour beers, especially dry sour beers like Berliner Weisse. Those sweetened lambics are not "real" lambics, in other words not true to the original style.
Anyway, they were all very good, the flavored Berliner Weisse really does not taste much like beer at all, more like soda. But I enjoy it occasionally, very refreshing on a hot day, and a low ABV means you can enjoy a lot of them without passing out.:tu

gvarsity 02-22-2010 12:40 PM

My wife used to drink what was called a peche regularly in france which was a lager beer with a little peach syrup in it. Very refreshing in the summer. The Germans also do a beer with a little 7up in it I believe. I had a friend who would order those after 3-4 years in Cologne. I typically would not mess with my beer but both of these are refreshing.

T.G 02-22-2010 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gvarsity (Post 768385)
The Germans also do a beer with a little 7up in it I believe.

Yup, and from my experience the beer of choice for the mixture was Erdinger Weiss, which is a very thin, mild, pale, low-alcohol beer, almost like a coors light with more flavor.

MikeyC 02-22-2010 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landhoney (Post 768377)
Berliner Weisse :dr

I was in Berlin a few months ago and ordered 3, one with Raspberry syrup, one with Woodruff syrup (green, tastes kind of grassy/earthy), and one plain. They only had the two flavors or I would have ordered more. :D
The waitress was hesitant when I ordered the plain (actually shook her head and said something like "you don't want that", but I insisted). Berliner Weisse is pretty sour and most people have never had or enjoy sour beers, especially dry sour beers like Berliner Weisse. Those sweetened lambics are not "real" lambics, in other words not true to the original style.
Anyway, they were all very good, the flavored Berliner Weisse really does not taste much like beer at all, more like soda. But I enjoy it occasionally, very refreshing on a hot day, and a low ABV means you can enjoy a lot of them without passing out.:tu

I started reading this thread and the first thing that popped into my head was Berliner Weisse! I totally agree that when mixed with the fruit extract it tastes more like soda than beer. These beers are usually pretty low alcohol too as you state.

okieRob 02-22-2010 05:42 PM

Quote:

If they didn't take the man card they would take a pair of something else :eek:

marge796 02-22-2010 05:47 PM

Quote:

:tpd:

Razorhog 02-22-2010 06:30 PM

I regard flavored beers the same way I do flavored cigars.... Just don't care for them. The closest I get to a flavored beer is Abita Purple Haze (Raspberry Wheat beer)

CEC_Tech 02-22-2010 06:42 PM

I just threw up in my mouth a little when I read the title of the thread.

okieRob 02-22-2010 06:43 PM

Now that you say that I really enjoyed a beer called Sweetwater Blue when I was in Atlanta. It is a pretty crisp pale with a Blueberry flavor.

mosesbotbol 02-23-2010 04:48 AM

There is a difference between flavored beers and beer with syrup. Personally, I do not like flavored beer. I still feel queasy from when I got sick from Boston Beer Works' Blueberry Ale in 1995.... Still remember looking as those berries floating on top of the beer...

This is different, and as someone mentioned, peach is the most popular. Actually I got apricot and peach mixed up initially.

Scimmia 02-23-2010 10:24 AM

Didn't AB test market something like this a while back? Small shots of fruit syrups to add to your beer?