Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Island (The other ones) Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   blind 10 spot review(s) (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=18461)

EEE 07-15-2009 07:42 AM

blind 10 spot review(s)

In a thread not so long ago I made an, admittedly, horrible introduction in which I challenged a member to blind taste test some cigars that would include the line that he was so against. In that same thread someone else stood up to take the challenge as well.

Those two individuals (Andy/Mark) are receiving 10 cigars that have blank bands on them, save a number that represents what they smoked.

I did not keep track of the vitola, or any other make-up of the cigar, just the brand name. The cigars will be revealed once they give a corresponding review of it.

Andy/Mark - please note that you do not have the same cigars based on # order. Andy's #1 may not be in Mark's bag at all, or may be #8 -- only the end of the reviews will show the truth.

I hope this engages some good conversation and at the bottom of it I hope that this helps serve as an apology for my brash introduction.

So, with that, lets see where this all shakes out.

I ask that they use a 10 point scale (10 being best) on the overall smoke. Any other details they would like to provide is purely up to them.

Andy

Mark

GreekGodX 07-15-2009 08:08 AM

Re: blind 10 spot review(s)

These always turn out great! cannot wait to see the reviews

bonjing 07-15-2009 08:10 PM

this looks interesting. look forward to seeing the blind reviews!!!

borndead1 07-16-2009 12:14 PM

There was an attempted delivery of my cigars yesterday...by FED EX????

Noobs....:rolleyes:

:D Will start smoking them this weekend.

Hippi3Slay3r 07-16-2009 12:20 PM

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...5xiwn4gkya.gif

EEE 07-16-2009 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borndead1 (Post 466965)
There was an attempted delivery of my cigars yesterday...by FED EX????

I can't complain when I don't leave my office, literally, to ship items.:tu

bigloo 07-16-2009 02:18 PM

Subscribed!

mcmoyer 07-16-2009 04:03 PM

Let the games begin!!

:D

TheTraveler 07-16-2009 05:08 PM

Subscribed. I love these!

http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/o...rs/popcorn.gif

Starscream 07-16-2009 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hippi3Slay3r (Post 466973)

That's just plain creepy looking.

ade06 07-16-2009 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andysutherland (Post 467654)
That's just plain creepy looking.

I like it... :banger

Starscream 07-16-2009 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreekGodX (Post 464940)
These always turn out great! cannot wait to see the reviews

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonjing (Post 465913)
this looks interesting. look forward to seeing the blind reviews!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTraveler (Post 467461)

I've got ten here to do for Eric, and then I also have 5 blind reviews to do for MCS. I'll open that thread up after they've finished resting for a bit from the travel.

borndead1 07-17-2009 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borndead1 (Post 466965)
:D Will start smoking them this weekend.

I guess I spoke a little too soon. The cigars are in the freezer right now. I will take them out Sunday, probably start smoking them on Monday or Tuesday.

borndead1 07-19-2009 02:10 AM

CIGAR #1

A toro sized cigar with a dark brown wrapper. Nicely constructed and heavy in the hand. Perfect draw. Pre-light draw is a faint grassy flavor.

First few draws are pure tobacco with earth and hay through the nose. "Strength" of the flavor is medium.

About 1" in...this cigar tastes OK. It's not objectionable but not wowing me either. Still a faint hay flavor in the nose, but mostly tobacco, earth, and a teeny bit of floral. The aroma coming rom the foot of the cigar is very earthy.

If I were forced to guess at this point, I would say that this is NOT a Rolando Reyes cigar. But I will smoke more before makng my final judgement. Right now I would guess that this cigar is Honduran, or contains quite a bit of Honduran tobacco.

About 2" the cigar is taking a turn for the worse. The dominant flavors are still there, but the finish has taken on a bitter flavor. Not bad enough to make me pitch the cigar, but enough that I would say I am not ENJOYING the cigar.

Halfway point...the flavor of this cigar is going back and forth between OK and bad between draws. Maybe it needs more humi time? It tastes like it has the potential to be a decent yard gar.

I am going to go ahead and make my determination now.

I would guess that cigar #1 is NOT a Rolando Reyes cigar.

Starscream 07-19-2009 07:38 PM

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/pictur...pictureid=2463
Cigar #1

Construction: 5x52, natural wrapper, a bit veiny

Pre-light Draw: smooth draw, grassy w/ a bit of sour flavor

1st Third: Upon lighting, I detect grass and ammonia flavors. Ammonia flavor has gone, but the grassiness has not. Sweetness has come into play. Still has grassy notes, but the sweetness is in the forefront. Sweetness is still there near the end of the 1st third, but a mustiness is appearing.

2nd Third: Very mellow. Grassiness is faint, as is the sweetness. Nose exhale is very smooth. Not much going on in the second third. It seems that if I want to get any flavors out, I have to rush it, but I’m scared that it will start tunneling. Pretty mild-bodied at this point. At the end of the second third, the grassiness is replaced by wet hay(?) or something like that w/ a bit of mustiness. This stick is becoming more medium-bodied in strength.

Final third: Sweetness has retired completely, replaced by mustiness/wet hay. With about an inch and a half to go, it’s starting to become too harsh in flavor (even after purging), but I smoke on for a bit anyway. A nutty flavor appears momentarily, and the cigar starts to tunnel. At the very end, it peaked and I quite enjoyed this cigar for a minute or two, but the harshness returned and I had to put it out.

Final thoughts: The burn on this cigar was good. It burned even for the most part. I didn’t have to make any corrections in the burn. This cigar was okay for those who love mild sticks, but for me (who is a fan of strong, Nicaraguan sticks with pepper and spice) it wasn’t anything special. This stick was very grassy and later replaced by wet hay. It wasn’t a bad stick; I might smoke another with coffee early in the morning. The grass and hay reminded me of the Reyes stick that I smoked, so I would guess that cigar #1 was a Reyes product, but I might be wrong.

Would I smoke this cigar again? I would pair it with coffee as an early morning smoke, but it wouldn’t be on my favorites list, nor my goto list.
Would I purchase this cigar? If I could get a bundle for around $30 I would, but otherwise no. If I was gifted this cigar I would smoke it, but I don’t feel that it would be worth my money unless it was very cheap.

EEE 07-20-2009 06:26 AM

With the two of you having some of the same cigars in different sections would you like to know instantly what you smoked or after all are complete?

Starscream 07-20-2009 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EEE (Post 472149)
With the two of you having some of the same cigars in different sections would you like to know instantly what you smoked or after all are complete?

I'd like to know after each individual review. If you wait until I review all 10 of them, I won't be able to associate the name/brand w/ the experience.

EEE 07-20-2009 07:05 AM

Fair enough. I will do that.

Andy#1 - Puros Indios Natural
Mark#1 - DPG Blue Label

Starscream 07-20-2009 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andysutherland (Post 471659)
The grass and hay reminded me of the Reyes stick that I smoked, so I would guess that cigar #1 was a Reyes product, but I might be wrong..

Quote:

Originally Posted by EEE (Post 472190)

:tu On the money.

MajorCaptSilly 07-20-2009 07:16 AM

This is interesting! Andy is on the money and Mark described none of the characteristics of a DPG Blue Label.

MCS

EEE 07-20-2009 07:39 AM

It should be more interesting as different sticks are revealed. To note - both of those sticks have been in my humi since early last year (March). At least Andy didn't hate the PI. :) LOL

kenstogie 07-20-2009 07:54 AM

I love these blind reviews. Munch, munch (popcorn).

Starscream 07-20-2009 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EEE (Post 472212)
It should be more interesting as different sticks are revealed. To note - both of those sticks have been in my humi since early last year (March). At least Andy didn't hate the PI. :) LOL

I didn't hate it, but it still didn't change my mind about PI. I'm still keeping an open mind, though, as your initial comment that started this all was correct. No one should write off a whole brand after smoking just one stick.:tu

EEE 07-20-2009 08:29 AM

I was wrong as well..... First try you were able to detect that it was a PI product. ;)

Starscream 07-20-2009 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MajorCaptSilly (Post 472197)
This is interesting! Andy is on the money and Mark described none of the characteristics of a DPG Blue Label.

MCS

Yeah, I was kind of surprised when I found out Mark's cigar was a Pepin Blue.:confused:

Starscream 07-20-2009 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EEE (Post 472276)
I was wrong as well..... First try you were able to detect that it was a PI product. ;)

There are still nine more to go. I may be proven wrong yet.:)

nozero 07-20-2009 08:42 AM

This is interesting. Subscribed!
:tu

borndead1 07-20-2009 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EEE (Post 472190)

Mark#1 - DPG Blue Label

No way! Really?????

Wow...if that was a DPG Blue, then I think the roller forgot to add ligero. :r

CIGAR #2

Another toro sized cigar with a medium brown wrapper. Again very well constructed with a perfect draw. Pre-light draw is a faint tobacco flavor.

First few draws are quite nice. Big spice kick in the nose. Medium strength but a lot of flavor. Sweet on the draw and spice through the nose.

About 1" in...I am enjoying this cigar. Nice flavor, nice aroma coming from the foot. Good burn. The sweetness is gone. Flavors are straight earth and spice. The ash is a nice light gray, evenly colored.

Halfway...a little milder but still flavorful. Earthy flavor is dominant now with the spice in the background.

I gotta say, this is a pretty tasty cigar. A good midday smoke. Not too mild and not too strong.

I would guess that cigar #2 is NOT a Rolando Reyes cigar.

EDIT: I'm gonna throw out a wild guess as to what cigar this is.

Is it a 5 Vegas Classic?

EDIT #2: Scratch that.

EEE 07-20-2009 10:09 AM

Mark#2 - La Gloria Cubana

borndead1 07-20-2009 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EEE (Post 472426)
Mark#2 - La Gloria Cubana

Aww DAMMIT! That was my second guess! :r:r:r

Bah! I shoulda just posted it instead of doubting myself.:bh

I knew it was a Sumatra wrapper. First guess was 5 Vegas Red, second guess was LGC.

Mr. Ed 07-20-2009 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MajorCaptSilly (Post 472197)

MCS

That's the funny part about smoking cigar blind. :ss

lou2row 07-20-2009 01:57 PM

Mark, your doing MI proud! Keep up the good work!

I love watching these unfold. One of the best ways to put the hype aside and find out what you really like.

borndead1 07-21-2009 08:37 AM

CIGAR #3

A robusto sized cigar with a light brown wrapper with blemishes. Looks like a low grade Connecticut wrapper. Pre-light draw is pure hay.

First few draws are pure hay and grass. Burn is crooked.

About 1" in...the hay and grass are not as strong but still there. Finish is bitter.

A little further...mildewy hay with a bitter finish. I'm done with this cigar.

I would guess that this cigar IS a Rolando Reyes cigar.

GoldnGT 07-21-2009 09:13 AM

Subscribed... gotta watch this one unfold.

EEE 07-21-2009 11:43 AM

Mark #3 - Reyes Family - Classic

Starscream 07-21-2009 12:27 PM

Wow, Mark. I gotta catch up.

mcmoyer 07-21-2009 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EEE (Post 473813)
Mark #3 - Reyes Family - Classic

And he nails it!!

:wo

Coz77 07-21-2009 05:01 PM

Well done...nice thread

Starscream 07-21-2009 06:36 PM

Cigar #2
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/pictur...pictureid=2472

Construction: 6x52 dark brown, veiny wrapper

Pre-light draw: nice draw, hints of cedar

1st Third: Initial flavor is sweet. Very smooth. A slight mustiness appears, but still sweet.

2nd Third: Pretty much the same as the first third: sweet with a slight mustiness. This cigar is not complex. It's not bad, just very one-dimensional. The sweetness through the nose is more dominant. Mustiness is replaced by a leathery flavor.

Final Third: Pretty much the same as the first two thirds.

Final Thoughts: A nice medium-bodied stick. I liked the flavor, just wish it had more complexity to it. It had a nice even burn. This stick reminded me of an RP Vintage 90-92 or maybe a Cuba Libre on a good day. This is not a Reyes cigar.

EEE 07-22-2009 08:11 AM

Andy #2 - DPG Blue Label

Starscream 07-22-2009 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EEE (Post 475075)
Andy #2 - DPG Blue Label

The missing label does make a difference, huh?:D I just associate Pepin bands with full-bodied sticks. I do usually detect sweetness from the DPG Blue, but usually more pepper along with it. I guess some of the pepper and strength I usually associate with Pepin are just in my head sometimes (b/c I'm expecting it to be there). I'm not as surprised as Mark was with his DPG Blue. I liked the one I smoked.:ss

borndead1 07-22-2009 08:20 AM

CIGAR #4

Another robusto sized smoke with a medium brown wrapper. Heavy in the hand and well constructed. Draw is a little tight but not bad. When I clipped the cap it popped right off and flew into the trash. I love when that happens. :D

Pre-light draw is tobacco and a bit of hay.

First few draws are sweet tobacco with hay on the finish. The aroma coming from the foot is unpleasant. The kind of smell that would make people around you complain.

About 1" in...flavor is grass and hay with a bitter, chemical-like finish. I will give it another few draws before I throw in the towel.

Blech.

I would guess that this cigar IS a Rolando Reyes cigar.

EEE 07-22-2009 09:10 AM

Interesting the different tastes from the same cigars.

Mark #4 - Puros Indios Natural.

bigloo 07-22-2009 09:15 AM

Nice job so far Mark....Andy, Andy Andy....

This thread is great!

borndead1 07-22-2009 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EEE (Post 475185)
Interesting the different tastes from the same cigars.

Mark #4 - Puros Indios Natural.

borndead1: 4
EEE: 0

EEE 07-22-2009 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borndead1 (Post 475548)

LOL.... Though you were so off on the DPG you shouldn't count that as a success. ;)

Starscream 07-22-2009 12:35 PM

Cigar #3
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/pictur...pictureid=2474

Construction: 5x54 natural, very thin wrapper. Very loosely rolled. A cheap quality cigar by looks alone.

Pre-light: tastes bitter

1st Third: Starts out very harsh with a grassy flavor. Very harsh through the nose. A slight sweetness is detected when exhaling from the mouth, but harshness through the nose. Mildewy flavors appear. If I weren't a "nose smoker", this cigar wouldn't be that bad, but I do not like it so far.

2nd Third: Hay and grass appear. Sweetness is very faint. Still harsh through the nose. The draw is very loose adn smokes fast (not necessarily a bad quality in my book). Sweet flavor returns near the end of the 2nd third; the harshness begins to mellow. I'm finally enjoying the cigar (at this point). If I wasn't writing a review, I would not have waited this long for the cigar to mellow out. Still a bit grassy and hay, but not bad at this point.

Final Third: The harshness returns. Grassiness continues. Sweetness is gone. I put it out with an inch left unsmoked.

Final Thoughts: The end of the second third was good, but I normally wouldn't suffer through a harsh stick like this just to hit the "sweet spot". I wasn't a fan of this cigar, and would guess that it was a Reyes product.

Starscream 07-22-2009 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by borndead1 (Post 475548)

Quote:

Originally Posted by EEE (Post 475564)
LOL.... Though you were so off on the DPG you shouldn't count that as a success. ;)

I'm not really keeping score on this one. I'm just trying to be open minded to Reyes sticks. I kind of hope I find a PI product that I like, but I am doubtful so far.

borndead1 07-22-2009 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EEE (Post 475564)

HA! That DPG was a fake. :rolleyes:

Did you get it from a guy whose cousin works at the factory?

AND...at least I knew it wasn't a PI :r

EEE 07-22-2009 01:30 PM

I'm not keeping score. Just having some fun and seeing how this all turns out.