Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Coffee Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   grinder question (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=52620)

sevans105 01-14-2012 01:16 AM

grinder question

So, Dani, the coffee fanatic here, has been making do with a whirlyblade grinder. After reading through the threads here, it's obvious that she needs a burr grinder. Any recommendations? NOT looking to spend a fortune....please be reasonable. :D

Chainsaw13 01-14-2012 05:47 AM

Re: grinder question

I bought the Bodum burr grinder and have liked it so far. Does well for French press or moka pot. Just did a grind for a drip maker yesterday and it worked well too. Something like $80-90 of Amazon. Easy to clean also. Only complaint is that it's a bit noisy, but since it's not running for that long, it's not an issue.
Posted via Mobile Device

688sonarmen 01-14-2012 06:01 AM

What's the method you use to brew Scott?

Blak Smyth 01-14-2012 07:28 AM

I was looking at one that I have seen many people have Purchased. It is sold at bed bath and beyond. It's $50.

GreekGodX 01-14-2012 07:50 AM

Capresso Infinity Conical Burr grinder is what I use and recommend it to those looking for their first burr grinder. Does a great job and can be had for around $100. Don't expect burr grinders in this price range to do a great job for finer grinds.

sevans105 01-14-2012 10:53 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys! As to what she uses now, I would assume drip process. I'm not the coffee drinker......I just obsess over things for her.

mkarnold1 01-14-2012 11:44 AM

I have one of these cuisinart things and it's been working fine for several years. Not great reviews on Amazon, but I think some of those reviewers have pretty high expectations for a $40 burr grinder. I find that it does not create a perfect grind and would not be great for a high end espresso maker but does great for drip coffee makers on a medium grind. There is a little dust created in the grinding process, so when you french press with it there is some fine dust that gets through the screen and makes a small amount of sludge at the bottom of the cup.

BlindedByScience 01-14-2012 12:18 PM

Had that exact Cuisinart burr grinder and it smoked.....literally. Filled the kitchen with burnt electrical smoke....not again. Was never happy with the grind; always some "dust" that wasn't the ticket for the French Press. OK for $40.00 if it doesn't set your house on fire, I guess....

Ended up buying a Baratza Virtuoso conical burr mill. Here's some great details and comparisions over at "Sweet Maria's" on the machine. Also, if you check the Baratza web site, they usually have refurbished machines for sale, though they are out now until after the first of the month.

This is one of those things that was bloody expensive.....and damn well worth it every time I use it. It makes perfect ground coffee, as course or fine as you'd like. Never had a problem, sounds like it'll last a long time. I'd buy another one, tomorrow.....:2

mkarnold1 01-14-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlindedByScience (Post 1530446)
Had that exact Cuisinart burr grinder and it smoked.....literally. Filled the kitchen with burnt electrical smoke....not again. Was never happy with the grind; always some "dust" that wasn't the ticket for the French Press. OK for $40.00 if it doesn't set your house on fire, I guess....

:2

:r:r No smoke for me, yet... I can think of many ways that I am in more danger of burning my house down than a little electrical appliance (month old christmas tree with 8 strings of lights on it all plugged into the same outlet, for example). The fine dust is an issue with french press, didn't bother me too much, but it is there and I can imagine it would bug many.

Savor the Stick 01-14-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreekGodX (Post 1530313)
Capresso Infinity Conical Burr grinder is what I use and recommend it to those looking for their first burr grinder. Does a great job and can be had for around $100. Don't expect burr grinders in this price range to do a great job for finer grinds.

I have had this grinder for close to 4 years--it works GREAT!. I paid $65.99 for it, being it is a factory refurbished unit. They are regularly being sold for $89.99 just about every place I check.

It grinds for my Moka Pot very well as well as drip, french press, everything except for espresso--Like Christos said it probably won't do a great job for real fine grinds.:tu:tu:tu

Bill86 01-14-2012 04:40 PM

I picked up a Baratza Maestro for $99 shipped off Amazon, can't find the exact model or price there anymore though.

But it's been working great for the 13 months I've had it. Been pretty negligent too, I've cleaned it maybe 2-3 times.

Found it, this is the exact unit.
http://www.roastmasters.com/maestro....FQtZ7AodgmtZlw

Jenady 02-01-2012 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sevans105 (Post 1530176)
So, Dani, the coffee fanatic here, has been making do with a whirlyblade grinder. After reading through the threads here, it's obvious that she needs a burr grinder. Any recommendations? NOT looking to spend a fortune....please be reasonable. :D

I am finding that the coffee experience is much like the cigar experience. I started out with a inexpensive burr grinder like some are suggesting. They work OK but...

I moved up to a Rocky grinder. It works so much better and is much more adjustable. It is also much more expensive. I used mine for moka pot and french press brewing for over a year now. I have ground several pounds so far. Then I moved up to an espresso machine.

I bought a Expobar Brewtus IV-R. Now it is obvious that the Rocky is not up to the task of providing consistent enough grinds to get great espresso. So, I ordered a Compak K10 Professional Barista K10, real expensive.

Do you see the trend? :D

I hope this is the end of my quest. In fact, it has to be the end but then I am still looking for the ultimate cigar too.

It is a sickness.

Gargoyle 02-01-2012 09:56 PM

I started with the Capresso burr grinder as well. It was relatively inexpensive compared to the other options and I could "test the waters" without going overboard. It was noisy and fairly messy, but got the job done.

I'm thinking of upgrading to a KitchenAid Pro Line Series Burr Coffee Mill. I don't have any experience with it yet, but the reviews appear to be fairly solid.

BSB 02-03-2012 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreekGodX (Post 1530313)

This is what I use and am very happy with it.

stevengturney40 01-20-2020 02:20 AM

A crank shaft is held in two indexing pot chucks, one at each end, so that it can be rotated about the axis of its offset pins. The two workheads must allign the ends of the crankshaft accurately and turn in unison.

Interlocks are provided to prevent traverse of the table while grinding, work rotation during wheel dressing, rotation of the work heads with the work unclamped and traverse of the table while workrest shoes are in place.

BigAsh 01-20-2020 08:10 AM

Given the thread's title, I wasn't sure what to expect....;)

The Poet 01-20-2020 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAsh (Post 2191737)
Given the thread's title, I wasn't sure what to expect....;)

Had the same thoughts. :r

icehog3 01-20-2020 09:15 AM

Phrasing.

Ashcan Bill 01-20-2020 10:21 AM

I'm pretty careful about how my crankshaft is held, especially the rotation of the work head(s).

icehog3 01-20-2020 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashcan Bill (Post 2191756)
I'm pretty careful about how my crankshaft is held, especially the rotation of the work head(s).

https://i.imgur.com/t8a87Vu.jpg

Phrasing!!