Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Recipes (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Pork Adobo (Filipino Style) (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=13064)

jquirit 03-31-2009 12:17 PM

Pork Adobo (Filipino Style)

Here is the ubiquitous recipe for Filipino-style pork adobo. There are many variations to the recipe as each person has their own take on it, but this is probably as close to as a "standard" version as I can think of.

2 lbs pork (I use a roast because I like the little fatty connective bits, but you could use a loin if so desired.. you'd just need to add a bit of oil to make up for the lack of fat)
1/2 tablespoon peppercorns
2 bay leaves
3 cloves garlic, crushed (or minced, or chopped.. whatevah!)
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 cups water
juice of one lemon (or kalamansi as it would be traditional)

* Cut up pork into pieces. I either use strips or about 1" chunks like you find in stew. Whatever you prefer, just don't make it too small.
* Combine all ingredients in large pan and let marinate for 15 minutes. DO NOT ADD HEAT TO PAN.
* After 15 minutes, turn on heat to pan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, bring to a simmer and simmer for 45 minutes with pan slightly covered.
* Keep an eye on as it cooks. I typically stop it once the liquid is almost all gone and coats the meat. This is called "dry adobo". Some people like to leave it with it in a more liquid and this is called "wet adobo". It's all in your preference if you want a "gravy" or not.
* If it does come out a bit too strong for you (too much tart from the lemon/vinegar, salty from the soy sauce), you could always add a bit of sugar (like a teaspoon) or soft drink (like 7-up) to cut that down in the last 10 minutes of cooking.
* Serve immediately over rice. Mmmmm. Enjoy. :dr

The power of adobo is that it's not just limited to pork. You can do this with chicken (thighs work best), beef, shrimp (I'd add a bit of oil to give it a nice mouth feel if you do cook it down), hell... I think even lamb or bison would work (though, I haven't tried *that* yet). Go to town, experiment.

Noodles 03-31-2009 01:23 PM

Re: Pork Adobo (Filipino Style)

Very nice. I have a slightly different version.

- I usually use pork belly. Fat is king :).
- I marinate the pork in soy sauce longer. Usually overnight. This guarantee the meat and fat absorbs the soy sauce. I also include the crushed garlic (garlic skin included) and cracked pepper in the marinade.
- I don't use calamansi.

Cooking is similar as to how you describe.

I have another version.

Prepare and cook the meat as describe above.

In a separate pan, saute some garlic (amount will depend on how strong the garlic taste you want). When garlic is almost brown, add cooked meat making sure very little sauce/liquid gets into the pan. Fry each side of meat until you see some darkening. When all the meat are fried, pour the remaining sauce/liquid. Mix. Turn of heat. Cover. Serve with steamed rice.

shortstory5 03-31-2009 10:56 PM

Oh my. Both of those sound so amazing.

Ever serve it with anything besides rice?

SeanGAR 03-31-2009 11:54 PM

Friend of mine from QC made this 4meB4 ... really tasty.

Noodles 04-01-2009 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortstory5 (Post 313801)

You may be able to get away with dinner rolls or mashed potato. I tried it before but I'm used to rice (steamed or fried). Couscous is another interesting choice.

rennD 04-12-2009 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortstory5 (Post 313801)

Yes, FRIED rice :D

jquirit 04-12-2009 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rennD (Post 332989)
Yes, FRIED rice :D

It's even better if it's PORK ADOBO fried rice. :dr

rennD 04-12-2009 03:01 PM

Thanks to this post, I am gonna so overeat today :dance:

Noodles 04-13-2009 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rennD (Post 333142)
Thanks to this post, I am gonna so overeat today :dance:

Lol ... I don't need no excuse to overeat. I do it for a living. :dance: