Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Island (The other ones) Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Blue Label Robusto (Gran Habano) (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4366)

AD720 11-17-2008 08:24 PM

Blue Label Robusto (Gran Habano)

Blue Label Robusto

Size - 5x52
Wrapper - Habano
Country - Honduras
MSRP - $5.00
Price Paid - much less (right now on sale at CI for $59.00/box)

These cigars are blended by Guillermo and George Rico, the guys behind the Gran Habano line, in the same Honduran factory. I picked up this Blue Label in a sampler of GH blends about 2 months ago. I have been looking forward to trying this as the GH line is favorite of mine, especially the 3 Siglos.

Construction - Seems fair to good. Overall smooth wrapper with some large veins and the cap is a little rough but it is firm with no major soft spots. Bunching is good with no stems.

Prelight - I clipped this one and the prelight draw is wide open but it doesn't seem too loose. I am tasting a bit of sweetness on the prelight.

1st Third - This lit up well and immediately yielded some light, sweet smoke with some nice spice on the nose. Definitely spicy, but not peppery, which is good for me because while I like spice I do not care for a peppery cigar. As I continue through the 1st third I am really enjoying this cigar. Some cedar, some spice, some cream.

It is not at all up front with the spice, which just sort of blooms in back of my mouth and is tickling my nose on the exhale. I'd say at this point I am 50/50 nose/mouth. The burn is slow and pretty even and the draw is on the looser side.

2nd Third - Moving into the second third I am still getting the nice bit of spice but a picking up more sweetness - definitely cedar, and more creaminess. The burn got a little wonky and required a touch but we are back on track now. Still holding ash.

Last third - The sweetness and cream are still hanging around but the spice is becoming more prevalent as well as a straight tobacco taste.

Overall impressions -

I have yet to be let down by any Gran Habano offering that I've had. Taking sale price into consideration this was a solid 8/10.

http://img.cigar.com/p/300/cs/k/cs-k6b.jpg

Scottw 11-17-2008 08:28 PM

Re: Blue Label Robusto (Gran Habano)

Nice review! I have been wondering a bit about these and am happy you shared it with us!

Fumes 11-17-2008 08:59 PM

I was expecting these to be as generic as the brand name, but I was surprised. These are actually quite good, especially for the price. Nice review!

Tio Gato 11-18-2008 01:15 PM

In my opinion the Blue Label line is a bargain, especially if you buy them from the Devil site. I've gotten two boxes of these for less than 30 bucks.
It's one of my favorite morning smokes with coffee. There is enough flavor to enjoy without smacking you in the head first thing in the morning.
Often the 20 cigar sampler can also be had cheaply on the devil site.
Thanks for that nice review. As I read it I wanted to go fire one up right away.:ss

renton20 11-18-2008 01:35 PM

Nice review. I picked up a 5er of these from the devil site on a whim and am now really looking forward to them :tu

gvarsity 11-19-2008 08:25 AM

Thanks for the review. I love the GH #5 and have been interested in the Blue label but have heard next to nothing about them. I'll have to pick up 5 or 20 of these next time I run out of will power to resist more purchases. :)

G G 03-28-2009 06:00 AM

Thanks for the review.

14holestogie 03-28-2009 06:27 AM

Started my day today with the same cigar. You nailed it, Andrew.
Nice review. :tu

tenbaseg 03-28-2009 06:47 AM

Thanks for the review. I picked up a 5'er on the devil site a while back and enjoyed one of them a couple months ago. I have to say I was pretty surprised by it. It was better than I expected.

Unlike Andrew, I like the spice/pepper profile and I found that this had enough to keep me interested but it wasn't overpowering. I wouldn't consider it mild by any means, but a great smoke for morning or early afternoon.

scooter 03-28-2009 07:47 AM

I bought a box of these also and enjoyed the one I have had so far.:D

Smoke Naked 03-28-2009 11:15 AM

Just got 2 Churchill fivers from cigar.com daily deal, arrived 10 minutes ago only $19.90 shipped. Can't wait to try one.

Catfish 03-28-2009 12:40 PM

Great review! Thanks!

bookman 03-28-2009 06:40 PM

Probably my fav of the Gran H. line. You nailed it about the spice quality, AD. This is a balanced and tempered smoke. Quite nice.

Starscream 03-28-2009 07:05 PM

I've been scared to try this stick. Thanks for the review. I'll have to pick up a 5er of these.

Ken 11-30-2010 10:42 AM

Good review, AD.

I have one left from my box of torpedos. I bought them on a whim and thought the price made for a good risk considering who makes them. I've enjoyed smoking every one of them. I guess they are medium and fit into any part of the day. I actually smoked one at 6am yesterday morning before work.

A good balance and consistant flavor and it produces plenty of smooth smoke. While I really do prefer something stronger, I will pick up another box.

kelmac07 11-30-2010 10:55 AM

Nice review Andrew...thanks for sharing!! :tu

Blak Smyth 06-22-2011 02:56 PM

Wheel of 30 for $39.99 on CI