Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Coffee Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Dunkin doughnuts (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=12538)

688sonarmen 03-22-2009 07:23 PM

Dunkin doughnuts

I moved to ct about a year ago and can't throw a stone with out hittin one just to bounce off and hit another. The coffee is just ok, I get it since I have to be on the road so early. I find it very nutty and always hotter than I'll get out. For you new englanders what is the draw to it? Coffee or doughnuts?

dunng 03-22-2009 07:35 PM

Re: Dunkin doughnuts

Quote:

Originally Posted by 688sonarmen (Post 298785)
For you new englanders what is the draw to it? Coffee or doughnuts?

Nothing... Neither one is very good... :pu

Starscream 03-22-2009 09:00 PM

Krispy Kreme! :wo

MikeyC 03-22-2009 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andysutherland (Post 298944)
Krispy Kreme! :wo

We had Krispy Kreme up here in New England for maybe two years. They all shut down. I guess they couldn't compete. Too bad, I love KK glazed doughnuts.

I really enjoy Dunkin' Doughnuts. The donuts are OK (personally I prefer the coffee rolls). The coffee is good but not great. DD is kind of a New England institution they got their start in Quincy, MA.

smokeyandthebandit05 03-22-2009 09:43 PM

I like DD coffee more than Starbucks. I also like the donuts and coffee rolls:dr

MikeyC 03-22-2009 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokeyandthebandit05 (Post 299013)
I like DD coffee more than Starbucks. I also like the donuts and coffee rolls:dr

:tpd:

I don't know what makes me want to :pu more when I walk into a Starbucks . . .

the coffee or the pretentious twits who sit in there all day with their laptops and turtle neck sweaters.

smokeyandthebandit05 03-22-2009 10:28 PM

LMAO thats great :r :r :r!!!

Hot Stuff x 03-23-2009 04:15 AM

They got Dunkin Donuts all over Korea. I stop in for a coffee once in a while, but there's better coffee to be had.

They have some wierd donuts here--green tea anyone? How about a glutonous rice stick?

Mark C 03-23-2009 04:43 AM

I much prefer dunkin donuts over Krispy Kreme. DD's donuts are heavier, not as fluffy as KK, and I like that. Their coffee is ok, better than 7-11 and other local gas station/convenience store coffee, but I generally prefer to brew my own.

Cigary 03-23-2009 05:02 AM

There are so many coffee joints around anymore it's hard to judge one chain from another. I have had great coffee from DD and Starbucks and Gloria Jeans and so on and depending on who is making it means alot. If you make it too strong it sucks. If the person making it puts too little it sucks,,,so its a bit subjective as far as how makes the best coffee. When I find a place that makes it great,,,that is where I go. As far as donuts go both of those places don't hold a candle to places like La Mars donuts or other places that have been around for decades and make it fresh.

jitzy 03-23-2009 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeyC (Post 299024)

I don't know what makes me want to :pu more when I walk into a Starbucks . . .

the coffee or the pretentious twits who sit in there all day with their laptops and turtle neck sweaters.

Personally I like starbucks but you do need to tune all those pretentios people out when you go there.

Mister Moo 03-23-2009 05:45 AM

I went to a drugstore and bought two Dutch Masters cigars. It was OK in a pinch.

I went to Dunkin' Donuts and bought a large cup of coffee. It was OK to warm me up and keep me awake.

Being a coffee snob is as bad as being a cigar snob which, in a lowest-common-denominator thread, puts us to the test.

I still have one of the Dutch masters cigars - anyone want it? :)

MikeyC 03-23-2009 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Moo (Post 299202)
Being a coffee snob is as bad as being a cigar snob which, in a lowest-common-denominator thread, puts us to the test.

I still have one of the Dutch masters cigars - anyone want it? :)

Very true. Being a snob whether it's over coffee, cigars, cars, clothing, or whatever consumer item can be done. I still think however that you can be a discerning consumer and know what you like without being a snob. Just because I'm not going to take you up on your Dutch Masters offer doesn't mean you'll see me at the local cigar bar smoking an Opus X, wearing a turtle neck, and tapping away on my lap top while pretending to know about things like philosphy and fine art. :tu

md4958 03-23-2009 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 688sonarmen (Post 298785)
I moved to ct about a year ago and can't throw a stone with out hittin one just to bounce off and hit another. The coffee is just ok, I get it since I have to be on the road so early. I find it very nutty and always hotter than I'll get out. For you new englanders what is the draw to it? Coffee or doughnuts?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunng (Post 298799)
Nothing... Neither one is very good... :pu

Convenience

stearns 03-23-2009 06:48 AM

i grew up with DD close to a second religion... and heck, the sox were my third. my parents, cousins, friends, friends parents, friends cousins, teachers, everyone lived off it. i literally had a teacher in high school write me a hall pass that said "To: Dunkin Donuts," so long as i got her an iced coffee. i never questioned it, just fell in love with the place, to the point that any time i get north of the mason dixon line i look up the closest to get my fix

stearns

germantown rob 03-23-2009 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeyC (Post 299216)
Very true. Being a snob whether it's over coffee, cigars, cars, clothing, or whatever consumer item can be done. I still think however that you can be a discerning consumer and know what you like without being a snob. Just because I'm not going to take you up on your Dutch Masters offer doesn't mean you'll see me at the local cigar bar smoking an Opus X, wearing a turtle neck, and tapping away on my lap top while pretending to know about things like philosphy and fine art. :tu

No, but you will see me sitting on the deck roasting coffee and drinking a cup of fresh roast smoking a trinadad ingenios. If charbucks is for coffee snobs then I am not sure what I am.

If I pay on average $6 a pound for good green coffee rated at 82-88 and after roasting have 12.5 ounces roasted coffee that is just under $.50 for a cup for myself and $.25 for the Mrs. That does not include the time to roast, the cost to roast, the time to brew and pour, the paper cup or to wash the ceramic dish. This leads me to believe that the quality of the bean being used at chains is pretty bad. Being a coffee snob is not accepting low quality beans to be a good cup of joe.

icantbejon 03-23-2009 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jitzy (Post 299193)
Personally I like starbucks but you do need to tune all those pretentios people out when you go there.

:tpd::tpd::tpd::tpd::tpd:

I like Starbucks coffee so much better than DD. I actually hate DD. However, I can't stand the "Starbucks" environment. I try to stick with the drive thru and buying bags to brew at the house. Back home, for you WNY folks out there, we have Tim Horton's. I think those guys put crack in their coffee. It is so freaking addictive. Love the stuff! Can't get it outside of the few states boardering Canada though, as it's a CA coffee.

Hot Stuff x 03-23-2009 08:47 AM

When I'm at work or on the road I'll take what I can get.

Mugen910 03-23-2009 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by md4958 (Post 299228)

Convenience

TheLostGringo 03-23-2009 09:23 AM

Conveinience & Fast service is the only reason to hit D&D in my opinion. Coffee is mediocre at best. I much prefer Starbucks to D&D but I will not wait 25 minutes in the drive-thru to get a larger black coffee.

With their improvements and addition of Iced Coffee my first choice has become McDonalds for coffee while on the road. I prefer the coffee at home but time does not always permit.