Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Smoke them while you can. (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=69171)

AdamJoshua 03-10-2015 12:25 PM

Smoke them while you can.

So much for a man's home being his castle.

Quote:

WASHINGTON – A temporary order by a Superior Court judge is keeping a man from smoking inside his home in the District of Columbia.

WJLA-TV (http://bit.ly/1BrlPLl ) reports that Edwin Gray's next door neighbors in northeast Washington have filed a civil suit claiming they're being harmed by smoke that sneaks into their home through a hole in the basement. They are seeking an injunction and $500,000 in damages.

A judge issued a temporary injunction last week saying neither Gray nor any family or guests may smoke in the home the family has owned for 50 years. Gray's sister, Mozella Johnson, says they will fight.

Not sure how this works, sounds like they are a style of row house or something to where the smoke sneaks into their house, at first I assumed that smoke was leaving his house and blowing in the windows of the neighbors but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Edit: The link explains that yes they have shared walls, amusing that he can go smoke outside though.

the nub 03-10-2015 12:44 PM

Re: Smoke them while you can.

I believe the neighbor tried to come to a solution by sharing the cost to stop the smoke infiltration but he told them no.

AdamJoshua 03-10-2015 01:19 PM

I saw that there was a hole in the basement and that they ended up suing him for $500,000, seems like it should be easy enough to fix a hole, also depends on size and placement.

icehog3 03-10-2015 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamJoshua (Post 2022605)
depends on size and placement.

Phrasing......

nutcracker 03-10-2015 02:48 PM

There is law brewing here that will ban smoking in "multi family dwellings" ie condos, apartments, tenement housing.

Just a matter of time lads and lasses...

AdamJoshua 03-10-2015 04:29 PM

The apt building I live in banned smoking about 6 months ago, they gave 60 days notice and did not allow smokers to break their lease without penalties, they are a sleaze ball management office as it is.

357 03-11-2015 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamJoshua (Post 2022630)
The apt building I live in banned smoking about 6 months ago, they gave 60 days notice and did not allow smokers to break their lease without penalties, they are a sleaze ball management office as it is.

Employers are doing exploring this for existing employees as well.

mosesbotbol 03-11-2015 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nutcracker (Post 2022614)
There is law brewing here that will ban smoking in "multi family dwellings" ie condos, apartments, tenement housing.

Yup. Just a matter of time. Since nobody speaks up to defend smokers, there's no opposition to such laws.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 357 (Post 2022847)
Employers are doing exploring this for existing employees as well.

Yup... Smokers are not a protected class.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamJoshua (Post 2022630)

How is that legal? The tenant's signed a lease with a certain rule set. Changing the rules is breaking the Landlord's end of the lease. I would not pay the penalty and would refer to the signed lease as towards what is allowed and not. There could be language that allow on the fly rule changes by landlord, but I would not sign such a lease...

T.G 03-11-2015 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nutcracker (Post 2022614)

Those laws (city/county ordinances) already exist in some areas here.

CoffeeWaterBeer 03-12-2015 09:30 AM

With all the lobbying big tobacco does, I'm surprised there hasn't been more opposition.