Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Quit my job (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=70419)

badbriar 10-23-2015 09:55 AM

Quit my job

Just quit my 2nd job at the Cigar Shop. It's a shame because I did like working there. Turns out that the manager and a full-timer there were using the safe as their personal loan department. Was told by the manager to just write in the dollar amount that the safe should have, even though it was short. I even loaned the manager $100 from my own pocket to bring the safe up to where it should be. Of course, he is 3 weeks late in repaying me and wants another 2 weeks. The safe never was fully repaid, as I was told it would be. I worked with this for about 2-3 months and realized the liability for me as just too high. I simply cannot work with that. One of the most important things we have left is our reputations and honesty. Kinda pisses me off, being put in that situation. Too bad, because it will cost me some $200 to 300 per month. Maybe I can get a job selling hot dogs on the side of the road. Not sure I won't get arrested for wearing a thong! :jd

Chainsaw13 10-23-2015 10:07 AM

Re: Quit my job

Does the owner know this is happening? Seems to me he'd rather keep someone on that's honest, rather than crooks.

The Poet 10-23-2015 10:07 AM

Did you advise the owner of your reason? I know it's not cool to rat others out, but now they could blame you for the shortage if it is discovered, claiming this is the reason you left.

Just a thought.

mosesbotbol 10-23-2015 10:10 AM

I would tell the owner, but in a way that would assumes the owner is ok with this (in case he did not know, you don't sound like a rat) and that style of "workplace culture" is not what you feel comfortable working in.

CEC_Tech 10-23-2015 10:11 AM

I bet they will use your leaving as an excuse for why the safe is short. It's an easy way for them to get it back to where it needs to be and not repay the money. I would definitely get with the owner. It's an integrity thing.

I work in the service industry and I have seen it happen quite a few times over the years. When people leave, all sorts of stories come out, some true and some fake. When theft is involved, the person who left quickly becomes the scapegoat for many things.

CigarNut 10-23-2015 10:19 AM

Integrity is everything, Rob. I wish you the best of luck in finding another opportunity.

badbriar 10-23-2015 10:51 AM

I originally contacted the HR manager, gave that person my resignation and explained and the reason for my leaving. The purpose for my leaving today is that three others counted and signed off on the safe amount. My last shift was last Saturday. This way, three others had hands in the safe since me and all would have entered fictional totals.
I've received numerous calls and emails from the store manager, trying to put this on me. Figures. Quality guy there! Thankfully, this occurred before my name was the last one to sign off on the safe amount. Now, I'm off to see if I can find another interesting PT!

WhiteMamba 10-23-2015 11:21 AM

Sorry to hear about that brother.

AdamJoshua 10-23-2015 11:27 AM

Sorry to hear it, you were a decent guy to loan him the money, you should tell the store owner he owes you 100 bucks and he can take it out of the shmucks paycheck. Actually that wouldn't be the best idea, I don't know how loudly you would want to scream that they were stealing and you knew about it and didn't report it because you were a human being and felt bad for the thieves.

Best of luck on the new hunt, Michael.

Remo 10-23-2015 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamJoshua (Post 2058530)
Best of luck on the new hunt, Michael.

Or Rob :tu

AdamJoshua 10-23-2015 12:17 PM

Him too!

:lr

WhiteMamba 10-23-2015 12:54 PM

Thanks Adam :tu

equetefue 10-23-2015 07:48 PM

Well done Rob!! Integrity always comes first..

Don't feel bad about loosing your part time job. I was layed off this week after 12 years. Really stinks as I'm old school and believed in loyalty. Feel slapped in the face.

Anyways, I wish you the best on the job hunting. Let me know if you need anything from me here in Orlando.

Gabe215 10-23-2015 07:55 PM

I recently got a second job delivering pizzas for extra cash to buy groceries! Beats selling hot dogs! Just a thought if u really need extra $$

badbriar 10-23-2015 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equetefue (Post 2058581)
Well done Rob!! Integrity always comes first..

Don't feel bad about loosing your part time job. I was layed off this week after 12 years. Really stinks as I'm old school and believed in loyalty. Feel slapped in the face.

Anyways, I wish you the best on the job hunting. Let me know if you need anything from me here in Orlando.

Edwin- what is your profession?

AdamJoshua 10-23-2015 08:22 PM

There's always driving for Uber, your own hours and make decent money.

equetefue 10-23-2015 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badbriar (Post 2058583)
Edwin- what is your profession?

I'm a call center ops manager.

shark 10-24-2015 08:38 AM

You're a nicer guy than me. I wouldn't have loaned him jack and I would be finding a way to hang those two

mosesbotbol 10-24-2015 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shark (Post 2058597)
You're a nicer guy than me. I wouldn't have loaned him jack...

Same here. I don't loan money; only give it away. It's up to you whether you want to pay me back or not.

badbriar 10-24-2015 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol (Post 2058602)
Same here. I don't loan money; only give it away. It's up to you whether you want to pay me back or not.

I should adopt your theory. Two jobs and 12 years back, I loaned a co-worker $60 and never got that back. Oh well, sh*t happens and then you finally learn! :D