Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Coffee Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   I'm not on par with you guys, but thanks anyway! (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=27738)

rizzle 01-25-2010 03:48 PM

I'm not on par with you guys, but thanks anyway!

I've never posted in this forum before, but I've read many of the threads and found some great information that helped me out with my latest purchase. I'm waiting on a Technivorm CDT and a Baratza Maestro to hit my doorstep later this week. Hopefully that will take care of my daily needs and if/when I decide to drink big boy coffee like many of y'all here I know where to come for the advice on how to drain my wallet. :r

So, from someone who never even posts here, "thank you" to those of you who do.
:tu

saggel 01-25-2010 03:50 PM

Re: I'm not on par with you guys, but thanks anyway!

Please post your thoughts on these when you'll get them!

germantown rob 01-25-2010 06:52 PM

Enjoy :tu

Your taste buds will.

You now have the equipment to brew at the proper temp and grind great beans that will let you know why so many get into coffee as deep as they do.

Pm me your addy when the equipment arrives and I will send you some fresh roast to brew.

floydpink 01-25-2010 07:52 PM

Awesome! Try out CCM Coffee in Tampa for beans, they are great and close to you, as long as you start roasting soon.

Until then, put me on this list of people who would be thrilled to send you some home roast to try.

Great bunch of fellas in the coffee forum with all kinds of ideas to part you from your paycheck.

Resipsa 01-25-2010 08:02 PM

the baratza is a great all purpose grinder, and the Technivorm is the gold standard of drip brewers. You should be very happy with your purchases:banger

enjoy!

Mister Moo 01-25-2010 08:47 PM

Time to visit Mazzaros roasterie in St.P for fresh roasted coffee; you gonna love it with the new grinder and brewer!

floydpink 01-26-2010 07:32 AM

Also, if you plan on taking it to the next level, these are great for around the house to show your commitment to an excellent cup..

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c...6716529546.jpg

rizzle 01-26-2010 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by germantown rob (Post 734720)
Enjoy :tu

Your taste buds will.

You now have the equipment to brew at the proper temp and grind great beans that will let you know why so many get into coffee as deep as they do.

Pm me your addy when the equipment arrives and I will send you some fresh roast to brew.

I'll do that Rob, thanks for the offer. :tu

Quote:

Originally Posted by floydpink (Post 734836)
Awesome! Try out CCM Coffee in Tampa for beans, they are great and close to you, as long as you start roasting soon.

Until then, put me on this list of people who would be thrilled to send you some home roast to try.

Great bunch of fellas in the coffee forum with all kinds of ideas to part you from your paycheck.

Will do, thanks bro. :tu

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Moo (Post 734924)
Time to visit Mazzaros roasterie in St.P for fresh roasted coffee; you gonna love it with the new grinder and brewer!

Most all of the coffee I drink comes from Mazzaro's. Awesome, awesome place for a whole lot more than just coffee.

Quote:

Originally Posted by floydpink (Post 735298)
Also, if you plan on taking it to the next level, these are great for around the house to show your commitment to an excellent cup..

I've definitley got to have those.
:r

germantown rob 01-26-2010 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floydpink (Post 735298)

Yeah, I need those :banger so don't hold out and share the link. :D

floydpink 01-26-2010 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by germantown rob (Post 735474)
Yeah, I need those :banger so don't hold out and share the link. :D

http://www.zazzle.com/coffee_bean_sn...06567340523192

Group buy?

I've been decorating some coffee tins with stickers and came across the shoes.

I have some "Make espresso, not war" stickers and am looking for more.

germantown rob 01-26-2010 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floydpink (Post 735490)
http://www.zazzle.com/coffee_bean_sn...06567340523192

Group buy?

I've been decorating some coffee tins with stickers and came across the shoes.

I have some "Make espresso, not war" stickers and am looking for more.

Is it wrong to get the insole with flower print and do you think I can get a woman's size 11 to fit my men's size 10 feet?:D

rizzle 02-01-2010 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saggel (Post 734445)
Please post your thoughts on these when you'll get them!

Alright. So everything showed up Friday and Saturday morning was the first run. The Technivorm looks great and so far seems to be working great. The caraffe keeps the coffee plenty warm until I'm finished with the whole thing. Clean up and operation are simple. Definitely a difference in taste going from a glass pot on a burner to this.

The Baratza seems to do exactly what I need it to do, although I'm still not sure if I have the right grind dialed in yet. I think I'm close.

So the real question is, is the coffee better than what I was making before and am I happy or disappointed with my purchase? No doubt the coffee tastes better and I'm happy, and that's really all that matters.

floydpink 02-01-2010 07:09 PM

What have you been brewing so far?

Glad it's working out for you.

rizzle 02-03-2010 03:35 PM

So far I've brewed a Jamaica Blue Mountain blend, not pure but has that nutty taste that I love about Jamaican coffee and a flavored coffee, Sinful Delight from Mazzaro's, which is probably heresy to many of you guys, but I enjoy them.

I'm open to recommendations. I like a nutty, caramely, cinnamony profile.

raisin 02-06-2010 10:44 AM

At the extreme, the TV tends to produce a clear, thin cup. if you're hoping for more, you can use the steeping function and even stir the wet grinds to enhance extraction. you may also experiment with a finer grind (less than 20 on your grinder) to avoid the extra work.

Resipsa 02-06-2010 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rizzle (Post 746102)
So far I've brewed a Jamaica Blue Mountain blend, not pure but has that nutty taste that I love about Jamaican coffee and a flavored coffee, Sinful Delight from Mazzaro's, which is probably heresy to many of you guys, but I enjoy them.

I'm open to recommendations. I like a nutty, caramely, cinnamony profile.

You shouldn't use flavored beans in your nice shiny new Virtuouso, ;)

If nutty and caramelly is your bag, focus on Central and South Americans coffees.

If I were you, I'd order a sampler from either Sweet Marias or Unclebeanz so that you get exposed to other origins and what those beans taste like, try some africans, some indonesians, etc. Lots of different flavors out there.

rizzle 02-08-2010 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Resipsa (Post 750046)
You shouldn't use flavored beans in your nice shiny new Virtuouso, ;)

If nutty and caramelly is your bag, focus on Central and South Americans coffees.

If I were you, I'd order a sampler from either Sweet Marias or Unclebeanz so that you get exposed to other origins and what those beans taste like, try some africans, some indonesians, etc. Lots of different flavors out there.

Thanks for the info Vic. Are you serious about the flavored beans or are you just calling me a puss?
:)

Resipsa 02-08-2010 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rizzle (Post 752176)
Thanks for the info Vic. Are you serious about the flavored beans or are you just calling me a puss?
:)

Im serious. The syrups they put n the beans will gunk up your burrs. Worse than that, they'll contaminate and ruin the flavor of any other bean you grind in there.

Just buy the flavored coffee syrups made by Monin and others and add it to the brewed coffee, or as an alternative get a cheap whirlyblade grinder and grinder and use that for the flavored beans

rizzle 02-09-2010 02:07 PM

Thanks Vic.

Resipsa 02-09-2010 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rizzle (Post 753308)
Thanks Vic.

welcome.