Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Humidor rotation (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21246)

markem 09-10-2009 03:15 PM

Humidor rotation

I'm wondering about how people store the sticks in their humidors. Do you "rotate the stock" as in moving sticks from the bottom of the pile to the top, rotating the cigars 90 or 180 degrees, etc. to help the humidification process or do you just pile stuff in and assume that over time the humidity will even out over all the sticks just fine?

Whee 09-10-2009 03:18 PM

Re: Humidor rotation

I rotate, mostly for beetle checks.

SmokinCozy 09-10-2009 03:21 PM

Mines gets rotated just to play Tetris.....always buying something that won't fit

bigloo 09-10-2009 03:26 PM

I rotate when I need the space, and even then it is make space, not to really rotate, apart from this, I let them sit. I used to remove cello so rotations always resulted in damage. Now I leave what comes in cello in cello but still believe letting them sit as is is best.

Ashcan Bill 09-10-2009 03:36 PM

In the two humidors where I keep singles, no, I don't rotate. Once a cigar finds a place in one of those, it could stay in the same place for either days or years, until its time arrives.

I do rotate boxes in the cabinet, in the sense that the top shelf is the "smoking" shelf. Any box on the top shelf I'm into and actively smoking. Any box on the middle shelf is waiting for a slot on the top shelf to open up. ;)

The bottom shelf is the deep sleep shelf. Extremely limited movement down there.

As far as humidity, in a stable environment, I think over time it permeates everything fairly equally.

Skywalker 09-10-2009 03:43 PM

I rotate because the humidification is different at the bottom than at the top of my cooler and vino. I don't have fans going so rotating helps to keep the bottom cigars from becoming damp.

kelmac07 09-10-2009 03:50 PM

I rotate to ensure there isn't anything hiding...LOL!! And to play tetris.

sikk50 09-10-2009 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokinCozy (Post 543537)
Mines gets rotated just to play Tetris.....always buying something that won't fit

:tpd:

Scothew 09-10-2009 04:18 PM

Mine isnt big enough to warrent rotations, but I do just to check quality and all.

bookman 09-10-2009 04:48 PM

I'm all OCD about rotating.

ThePict 09-10-2009 04:57 PM

I've got enough fan in mine to keep the air moving so the RH difference from one shelf to the next is minimal. Besides, if I started actively rotating stock I'd see those boxes I put on the back shelf to age and my willpower will not withstand the 'I wonder how those are coming along' thoughts that are sure to surface.:ss

WyGuy 09-10-2009 07:49 PM

Everything pretty much stays put unless I need to find a little room for something new.

Cyanide 09-10-2009 08:01 PM

I rotate until I tire of it. So, I rotate about 4 cigars at a time. I am sure the bottom cigars will have plume (or mold!?!?!?!) before I ever see them again.

ucla695 09-10-2009 08:37 PM

I have fans to circulate the air for me so everything stays happy. :)

groogs 09-10-2009 08:51 PM

I have a few fans so I don't rotate. I used to rotate in order to find more room, but I have all my humi's packed full, so there is no more room to find.

bobarian 09-10-2009 09:43 PM

I dont rotate, in either my desktops or my vinotemps. I figure as long as everything is smoking the way I like them they are ok. With my singles desktops I found the more I handled my sticks the more likely I was to find damaged wrappers from over handling. I do move boxes around when making room for new stuff but no rotation. These days I do a lot of consolidating into cabs or larger boxes. I dont have room for half boxes of stuff so I will put two half dress boxes together in a cab to make room. :2

Thrak 09-11-2009 07:26 PM

For those that rotate, how often do you do it? Once a month? More, or less?

bookman 09-11-2009 10:00 PM

At least once a week, take everything out.

T.G 09-12-2009 08:02 AM

I put a lazy susan at the bottom of my cooler, so every now an then I just open the lid and give it spin.

nozero 09-12-2009 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokinCozy (Post 543537)

http://nozero.org/Cigar/IAgree.gif