Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Island (The other ones) Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Onyx Reserve Toro (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=63809)

badbriar 10-26-2013 06:00 PM

Onyx Reserve Toro

Quick review on a surprisingly good cigar. This is a deep, dark stick - almost black, with attractive mottling throughout and few obvious veins. Very nice matte oil sheen on the toothy wrapper looks tasty. Pre-light aroma was the classic horse barn / cow patty earthiness I remember as a kid when we went to the local riding stables. Cold draw was unremarkable - fortunately, better than the initial aroma! Lighting was a bit longer than most- probably due to the very dark tobaccos used. Once properly toasted, the burn was good with moderate white smoke. A couple of touch-ups required, but nothing major.
First draw was fairly tight, but still offered up a LOT of spiciness and bitter coffee...great start. I was hoping for a stout smoke and found exactly that. First half inch was a bit rough, but things settled in shortly with smooth, creamy coffee and expresso flavors. No major flavor changes - just slight shifts of the same, but smooth and flavorful throughout. Only down side was that the draw was a bit tighter than I like, but was still manageable.
This is an often overlooked cigar that is really quite good. Much better maduro than some ultra premiums I've tried. Can be had for a fiver at most B & M shops. Recommended!
RR

Porch Dweller 10-26-2013 10:17 PM

Re: Onyx Reserve Toro

Thanks for the review! I've thought about picking one of these up every now and then but never have. I might have to change that...

RobR1205 10-26-2013 11:23 PM

I have a fiver that I've been sitting on. I got them really cheap, so I figured I'd let them rest. I think I'm going to break one out soon. Thanks for the review!

kelmac07 10-29-2013 06:17 AM

Not a bad stick at all, especially for the price. This is the first stick that turned my hands black from the dye.

Coach Deg 10-29-2013 07:16 AM

I had an Onyx about 8yrs ago and hated it. Maybe it is time to try again. Thank you for the review and I will be picking up a few next time I see them.

TJtorpedo 11-01-2013 07:14 PM

This was one of my 'starter' cigars back about 9 yrs ago. I would buy them at the liquor store because I thought the band looked cool, lol. They used to knock me on my a$$!

WhiteMamba 04-15-2014 10:59 AM

I got two of these in a sampler a little while back. I might have to light one up and see for myself

ColdCuts 04-13-2015 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelmac07 (Post 1894234)
This is the first stick that turned my hands black from the dye.

I know this is an old thread and there are those who get upset when someone resurrects an old thread.

;s

It's just, Mac, I'd like to hear more. So, Onyx is artificially colored? I don't know about you fellas, but I want my maduros to be genuine. In other words, I want their color to be the result of a longer natural fermentation process, not dye. :pu

Mac, you said Onyx was the first to turn your hands black. Who else? I've got to know. What other manufacturers dye their wrapper leaf? :confused: