Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Dating a co-worker (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=68592)

ApexAZ 12-19-2014 01:58 PM

Dating a co-worker

So I'm a little over 2 months into a separation with my wife with a divorce in progress and there is this woman whom I have worked with for several years that I am starting to really want to date. We seem to connect on an emotional level, but I've always been tied up in marriage.

I think she is interested, but sometimes not so sure. We've hung out a few times on a purely friendly basis, hiking, car shopping, etc., which honestly isn't the best start of a relationship with someone you wish to be more than just friends with, but considering my divorce and our work relationship, it felt like the right way to approach it to start.

Anyways, we work in very close proximity to one another, but we don't work directly with each other on projects or anything. Normally I would not date someone from work and this would be the first time I ever tried. What are some of your opinions on this subject? I read an interesting statistic that 40% of people have dated someone from work.

Thoughts?

OLS 12-19-2014 02:07 PM

Re: Dating a co-worker

Sex is great, issues are not. There is a reason many people swear off this kind of stuff, its called experience. :)
As magical or as bad as it is, you are too close to her, and when they talk at the office, they talk about YOU.
So when its bad, everyone knows it, and even when its good, its bad for YOU.
I SAY DO IT!
But then get ready for telling me I was right. Having people find out about your intimate biz in the work
place is never a good thing, and its the first thing to happen, outside of the sex and all.

HollywoodQue 12-19-2014 02:11 PM

Be very careful Brian....my best friend was recently married for 15 years and just got divorced. My advice to him was to take some time for himself before he started dating on a serious level and just have fun with the ladies in between time.......well, he chose not to listen and got very serious with and old friend from back in the day which just so happened to be about to divorce also..well needless to say...all went well for several months until they realized that they were only together to compensate for the empty space they felt due to divorce . In your case if things don't work out between you two..you still have to work with each other which can create a bad work environment for the both of you....hope this helps and good luck...

hotreds 12-19-2014 02:45 PM

Not recommended! See above.......

CigarNut 12-19-2014 02:54 PM

If nothing else, it would be worth having a conversation with her to see if you guys are even on the same page...

massphatness 12-19-2014 02:59 PM

I vote no -- the potential for problems is not worth the slim chance it will work out

G G 12-19-2014 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by massphatness (Post 2006746)
I vote no -- the potential for problems is not worth the slim chance it will work out

I would have to concur with the Vinster on this.

shark 12-19-2014 03:31 PM

Personal life and professional life should always be separate.

ironchefscott 12-19-2014 03:38 PM

I hate to join the choir....but yea it will get messy 95% of the time
Wise man said.....don't get your meat where you get your bread

pnoon 12-19-2014 03:42 PM

Nope. Bad idea.
;s
Posted via Mobile Device

bobarian 12-19-2014 03:46 PM

I agree with the others. Not recommended. If things turn South, you had better be prepared to look for another job. :2

pektel 12-19-2014 03:55 PM

There are a lot of fish in the sea. No sense dipping your lure into the company pool.

gettysburgfreak 12-19-2014 04:11 PM

I met my wife at work. I was there almost a year before she got there. I scooped her up from the get go and haven't looked back. A lot of guys told me don't **** where you eat but I ignored their advice and it worked out in my case. It can definitely be challenging to know the same people, see each other constantly and have people know your business but I wouldn't trade my wife for anything so for me those things don't outweigh having her.

RobR1205 12-19-2014 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by massphatness (Post 2006746)

I also agree with Vin. I think relationships in the workplace should be professional. I don't even like being facebook friends with the people I work with. That might be a little extreme for some, but that's the way I prefer it personally.

T.G 12-19-2014 04:18 PM

Depends, is she hot?

BlkDrew 12-19-2014 04:19 PM

I met my wife at work also, but she was only there for a year and we worked different shifts

pektel 12-19-2014 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.G (Post 2006764)
Depends, is she hot?

Valid question. :tu

RobR1205 12-19-2014 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ironchefscott (Post 2006755)
...don't get your meat where you get your bread

I was thinking of another expression, but this one works too :tu;)

shark 12-19-2014 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobR1205 (Post 2006763)
I also agree with Vin. I think relationships in the workplace should be professional. I don't even like being facebook friends with the people I work with. That might be a little extreme for some, but that's the way I prefer it personally.

+1. I definitely agree with that. Personally, I don't even share personal life events, unless they're major things that could affect my work performance/attendance, with my coworkers or employer.

Ashcan Bill 12-19-2014 05:14 PM

I met my wife at work. Second time around for both of us. We worked in different departments so there was never any conflict, either real or perceived. After we married, she eventually left the company for a better opportunity but we never had any problems professionally while we were both there. Never had any problems personally either. :D We've been married 18 years now and we grow ever closer as time goes on. We worked for a major Fortune 100 company, and there were several married couples at the plant.

My dad met my mom at the company they both worked for. Likewise my uncle and his wife. They all went the distance. Not all work relationships end up being horror stories. It depends on the maturity and emotional stability of those involved.