Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Island (The other ones) Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Virtual BTT Mystery Review! (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=19202)

Doctorossi 07-30-2009 09:43 AM

Virtual BTT Mystery Review!

Following the BTT PIF thread has me all hopped up, so here's how I'm gonna roll...

VIRTUAL BLIND TASTE TEST! Can my experience translate to yours? Do we share psychic communicative abilities?

I'm posting a mystery NC stick review below and your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to correctly identify my goody. And the cool bit is: everybody gets to participate.

What- no prizes?! :fu

Review to follow and your guesses, hopefully, to follow that.

Doctorossi 07-30-2009 09:45 AM

Re: Virtual BTT Mystery Review!

The construction of this cigar is absolutely impeccable. This mid-sized sedan has a pretty corojo-look paint job with no tooth to speak of, a mild box-press and a clean conical head. Draw was stunningly great across the entire smoke and the burn line stayed almost perfect, as well. I'd never ask for more from a cigar's construction and I'd never get it, anyway.

The sniff-test on the exterior says bittersweet dark chocolate and that's about all. There's no hint of the heady almost-alcoholic quality I sometimes pick up on blends with a chocolate-dominated wrapper (frequently found on
Honduran product). The pre-light draw was basically the same.

After an easy light, the first quarter-inch of this stick frightened me. All I got was kind of a hollow take on your classic middle-of-the-road, nothing-to-write-blind-reviews-about generic 'tobacco' flavor. Do I have to radically lower my expectations here? Is this stick going nowhere?

No. Double no. No, sir.

Once past that opening subterfuge, this cigar took the blindfold off and displayed before me a smorgasbord of subtle sequential flavors. First up, perhaps predictably, was a dark chocolate spine which would remain present, in varying degrees, from first puff to last. Quick on its heels was a curious imaginary baked good, somewhere between a white cupcake and some nachos. Cornbread, perhaps?

Toward the end of the first third, I caught an undercurrent of white pepper which lasted about halfway into the second third. Meanwhile, more flavors were ready to parade on the front of my tongue. How about milk caramel?

At this point, it was time to grab a snork. A maltier take on the cocoa bean grabbed me back: ovaltine.

Working into the second third, the weight picked up a little, but not a whole lot. The nicotine whack on this stick was in the medium range.

Next, I whiffed some amaretto, but that quickly dried out and became a nice blue cheese.

Over the final third, the drying trend continued (as did the cocoa presence). The next flavor I noted was popcorn. Snorks in this section gave me a back-of-my-mouth taste in the fennel/celery family and then that dried out, as well, and became something from the rutabaga/turnip family.

I was thrilled by this astonishing run of subtle flavors and nubbed the stick to the bitter (but not at all bitter-tasting) end. What an absolute treat!

As I enjoyed the gingery dominant aftertaste, I contemplated the entire smoke and decided that the only component it really could have used a bit more of is flavor coherence- it was all over the map. This cigar was not a Chicken Vindaloo dinner, it was not even surf & turf; it was 10-course central Italian.

Incidentally, this stogie shared my palate with a bottle of Saranac Black Forest. This was a quite complementary pairing in flavor and performance. The nicotine in the mystery missile was just enough to keep me from feeling the beer-o'clock alcohol-on-an-empty-stomach doldrums. Also, through no conscious intention, I finished the beer at exactly the same time I finished the cigar. Perfect!

I suspect this guy would also live very well with a double espresso or maybe a Turkish coffee, but that's another test...

So, what on Earth did I smoke?! :D

JJG 07-30-2009 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doctorossi (Post 486681)
The construction of this cigar is absolutely impeccable. This mid-sized sedan has a pretty corojo-look paint job with no tooth to speak of, a mild box-press and a clean conical head. Draw was stunningly great across the entire smoke and the burn line stayed almost perfect, as well. I'd never ask for more from a cigar's construction and I'd never get it, anyway

This first paragraph made me think Padron '64 but you threw me off with the Honduran comment.

Nevertheless, I read the rest of the review with Padron stuck in my head so that's my guess.

Emjaysmash 07-30-2009 09:39 PM

Padron serie 1926 40th

Doctorossi 07-31-2009 06:31 AM

:D You guys are guessing the first thing that came to my own mind as something that would be a great guess based on my description.

... but it's not quite correct.

Emjaysmash 07-31-2009 06:46 AM

RyJ Habana Reserve

JJG 07-31-2009 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emjaysmash (Post 488308)
RyJ Habana Reserve

oooohh this is another good guess :tpd:

Doctorossi 07-31-2009 10:54 AM

I've never paid enough attention to the NC RyJs to know how good a guess that was, so I'll give you guys the benefit of the doubt.

Ooh- so close! :D

... but wrong cigar.

Doctorossi 08-01-2009 09:37 AM

Interest in guessing appears to be at 'trickle' level.

Should I go ahead and reveal all?

The Poet 08-01-2009 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doctorossi (Post 489894)

Nah, give 'em a few days and a few bumps, Doc. As for my stab inna dark:

CAO Cammie.

Emjaysmash 08-01-2009 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doctorossi (Post 489894)

No, I'm going to win!! Ha.

My guess: the Gurkha Class Regent Torpedo

Doctorossi 08-02-2009 09:59 PM

It's not a CAO.

It's not a Gurkha.

Emjaysmash 08-02-2009 10:06 PM

Damn this is tricky... think we cant get hints or do we just go off of the Review?

Emjaysmash 08-02-2009 10:09 PM

My guess today: Carlos Torano Exodus 1959 Torpedo

(BTW it is 11:09pm here)

Starscream 08-02-2009 11:01 PM

Illusione 88

BlackIrish 08-03-2009 08:47 AM

RyJ Viejo B

Emjaysmash 08-03-2009 12:18 PM